School Closures for 8th feb

Found 7th Feb 2007
All schools in the Dudley Borough are closed

In the Wolverhampton Borough all the special schools and pupil referral units are closed and transport for SEN children has been cancelled

WALSALL
Sunshine Infants And Nursery

EDGBASTON
Chadvale Primary

SHELDON
Brays Special School

SOLIHULL
Wootton Wawen C Of E Primary School

HENLEY IN ARDEN
St Marys Catholic Primary
Henley In Arden Primary School
Henley In Arden High School

STUDLEY
Mappleborough Green C of E Primary

ALCESTER
Alcester High School Technology College
Alcester Grammar School
St Benedicts Catholic High School

PENKRIDGE
Rodbaston College
REDDITCH
St Bedes Catholic Middle School

STRATFORD UPON AVON
Welcombe Hills School
King Edward VI Grammar
Stratford Upon Avon Grammar

your local radio will keep you updated

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
44 Comments

Original Poster

All schools in the Dudley Borough are closed

In the Wolverhampton Borough all the special schools and pupil referral units are closed and transport for SEN children has been cancelled

WALSALL
Sunshine Infants And Nursery

EDGBASTON
Chadvale Primary

SHELDON
Brays Special School

SOLIHULL
Wootton Wawen C Of E Primary School

HENLEY IN ARDEN
St Marys Catholic Primary
Henley In Arden Primary School
Henley In Arden High School

STUDLEY
Mappleborough Green C of E Primary

ALCESTER
Alcester High School Technology College
Alcester Grammar School
St Benedicts Catholic High School

PENKRIDGE
Rodbaston College
REDDITCH
St Bede’s Catholic Middle School

STRATFORD UPON AVON
Welcombe Hills School
King Edward VI Grammar
Stratford Upon Avon Grammar

your local radio will keep you updated

Original Poster

dnt know why this is on twice 4?

esims84

dnt know why this is on twice 4?

Dont worry one of the mods or admin will sort it!

Thanks for the info....any reason why they are closed?

Has it even started snowing yet? Seems a bit premature. I know they've forecast a lot of snow, but still.

Is this because of the snow?!

I love how the United Kingdom which shares the same latitude as Russia and Canada fails so pathetically in it's infrastructure and how disgustingly overreactive we become when a few centimeters of snow or any bad weather is forecast.

We truly are backward in many ways.

Continental Europe must find this hilarious.

Original Poster

the schools are closed because of the snow, my mums a supply teacher and she wanted to know. I thought it was a bit early to say they will closed.

my son came home today and told me the school 'may' be shut tomorrow, even tho weve had no snow yet!!!!! lol

Crazyness!

loupomm

my son came home today and told me the school 'may' be shut tomorrow, … my son came home today and told me the school 'may' be shut tomorrow, even tho weve had no snow yet!!!!! lol

Hope he's not trying to pull the wool over your eyes ;-)

In my experience of snow most of the children turn up but most of the teachers don't..says a lot about that profession..sorry to any teachers out there but it's the truth.

Original Poster

Teachers dont normally turn up because they usually have to travelmiles.

my girls go to school in Dudley and they have decided to shut all the schools so they are well happy. Lets hope my boss does the same ;-)

no because teachers are lazy gits..the least excuse and they moan..so no doubt it was snow they moaned about today and how they wouldn't be able to get into school...dum dum!!

I used to drive taxi's part time, I live the North East and not once did we ever let a customer down due to snow. I used to do the late shift on a weekend and would work 12 hours on a Friday nightshift.

So you can imgaine what it is like driving int he middle of the night none stop travelling up to 25 miles out of my area to pick people up with 4/5 inches of snow on the ground. For some reason the gritters do not start work until 5/6am!!!

And I never failed to pick onyone up or got stuck!!! So why should schools be closed?????!!!

You can guarantee that within the first hour of the gritters being out the roads are almost perfect even for women drivers!!!

Ooops I may have hit a nerve there with that last sentence.

Suppose they'll claim for safety reasons.

esims84

Teachers dont normally turn up because they usually have to travelmiles.

We all ..or most travel miles to work and in inclement weather we may be late but most of us get there...if you cannot use the car then public transport usually keeps going unless it is really extreme.

Original Poster

my mum a teacher and she always goes into work, i ws just trying to say tht the kids normally live near the schools when alot of teachers may have to travel.

I don't get it. Maybe because I am used to cold and such but why an inch or two of snow should bring this country to halt?
Or maybe it is just a very convenient excuse not to turn up at work?
I would expect such panic somewhere in hot country, like Middle East or Africa but not here.

currychops

no because teachers are lazy gits..the least excuse and they moan..so no … no because teachers are lazy gits..the least excuse and they moan..so no doubt it was snow they moaned about today and how they wouldn't be able to get into school...dum dum!!

And so they should be.
Management staff that get to slack off cos they suck arse to Deputies and Heads, to LEA's who refuse to understand the problems, to Headteachers who refuse to properly critisise childrens problems in fear of parents complaining and making a fuss and generally not caring thus exacerbating the problems, resulting in total lack of respect for the teachers by management, by the children, the board of governers and the parents.

Teaching in the UK is a AWFUL and HORRIBLE professional and is VERY hard to get UK born teachers into our schools especially considering the crap pay.

Yet we expect them to be miracle workers with more and more parents refusing to do any real parenting, refusing to believe their kids are violent, bad mouthing etc, refusing the testiment of several teachers over their childs bullshit. Parenting culture in this day and age is no longer parenting but babysitting and pointing the finger elsewhere and in mass denial.

It's a very sad state of affairs.

I am not a teacher, but I have lived and live with teachers and know all the horror stories.

currychops

Suppose they'll claim for safety reasons.

Safety reasons, in what way would you implement that one mate?

A kid slips over on his way to school? It is more dangerous in the frost and ice than it is snow.

the problem is it seems ok for the heads to shut schools at a drop of a hat, when most of the population STILL have to try and get to work, but you try and take your kid out of school and you have merry hell to play with

beerman1 is right in terms of transportation.

But since we live in such mild conditions so
anything too hot and the cheap tarmac we lay down literally melts.
anything too cold and our high(er) humidity level results in alot of frost and ice making driving dangerous due to lack of real gritting system here.

Unfortunately scandinavia does not have this problem, but they have a national infrastructure of snow movers and gritters to be proud of as it is part of their culture.
We do not as we are cheap, we moan and we live in mostly mild climates (for now) and if we invested in such a useful and wonderful but expensive system which would free up days taken off in todays economy we would callit in efficient and claim its better to stay in, because, to say it again, we are cheap.

Admitedly scandinavia has massively higher tax rates, but then they don't have 3rd world infrastructures, we do.

schizoboy

And so they should be.Management staff that get to slack off cos they … And so they should be.Management staff that get to slack off cos they suck arse to Deputies and Heads, to LEA's who refuse to understand the problems, to Headteachers who refuse to properly critisise childrens problems in fear of parents complaining and making a fuss and generally not caring thus exacerbating the problems, resulting in total lack of respect for the teachers by management, by the children, the board of governers and the parents.Teaching in the UK is a AWFUL and HORRIBLE professional and is VERY hard to get UK born teachers into our schools especially considering the crap pay.Yet we expect them to be miracle workers with more and more parents refusing to do any real parenting, refusing to believe their kids are violent, bad mouthing etc, refusing the testiment of several teachers over their childs bullshit. Parenting culture in this day and age is no longer parenting but babysitting and pointing the finger elsewhere and in mass denial.It's a very sad state of affairs.I am not a teacher, but I have lived and live with teachers and know all the horror stories.

OMG I though I'd rattle somebody's cage by being provocative....those are generalisations schizoboy..yes there are problem schools and I dare say teachers have a hard time in those schools...but in most schools I know the majority of the children are well behaved..my friend is an HMI and according to him most of the problems he encounters at schools are because of the indifferent standard of the teaching staff.

I'm hoping i don't have to go to school tomorrow - i've got a drama test! (Sort of taking advantage of the no age limit here on HUKD -I'm under 16 :w00t: ) That said, whenever it snows, every school in northampton is closed - apart from ours! great! Add to the fact my bus leaves at 7:30 when it's minus 5, and you can start to see why i don't wanna go...

My mum made me and sister cry, yes cry, (in this day and age this an age it would be called mental child abuse or something, but taking them to church and teaching them religious rubbish is ok) in teaching us basic english and maths.

She was a stay at home mum looking after 2 kids while my dad worked, she could do this and she was an immigrant. OK not all parents can do this, but to assume a state system will do everything? Considering how underfunded and appauling it is? Naivity and denial tbh.
No parents need to take some of the responsibility considering TODAYs current teaching system, what you would like it to be is another story entirely and unfortunately the rich get to pay for that nice system.
harsh? unfair, yep welcome to reality. You weren't expecting a fair system under Labour were you? LOL

Sorry but teachers aides do not teach in any manner, they just keep the kids in line and help out in superfluous ways afaik, please correct me if I am wrong here.

Not all teachers are good, not all are bad. I have had problems in the last year with 2 school teachers. Not me personally but my partner as I will not get involved. (In know for a fact I will physically hit him if I were to see him). It is getting to the point where one of our lads is scared of doing P.E. because he keeps getting bullied (physically) and the teacher takes the sides of the bullies because they are the so called "Top Boys" at football and most other sports and such and they are his favourites.

Another teacher (his form tutor) knows about the bullying and even turns a blind eye at times. One time we phoned him within 2 minutes of the lad coming home from school after being jumped on by over 10 lads. He had the fing nerve to say "Oh I know", I was going to call you because I knew something was going on. "So why the f* did you not, you know from past problems what to do but yet you let him leave school with a gang of lads waiting for him outside!!!"

So not all teachers are good, they are only human and some do not have the common sense they should have been born with, or basically can not be arsed and are just too lazy to take control of hard situation!!

The school in mention is the school I went to as a kid. I was great at P.E. and used to run for the school. If it were the same teacher now I would have gone and sorted it out with him, I know he would have listened to me because of my past with the school and finally sorted the kids out. But! And it is a big but, it is not the same teacher and this one seems a right w****r, (you know the type who has an ego and only looks up to the good ones and basically tells the lesser advantage athletes to shut up and be quiet), so if our lass can't sort it out I would end up doing harm if I went up. This is also the same school where I used to work as an I.T. technician for a few months after I finished technical college, a lot of the teachers are still there and are great, but unfortunately a lot are not.

At the end of the day teachers are human beings and no matter what profession a human is in they still have their faults. And I agree a lot are lazy and do not realise how good a profession they are actually in, including the heads (in fact especially the heads), hence the reason a lot of schools close in the winter time for absolutely no reason at all.

I also blame the Government for putting us in a country with a strict level of PC'ness. As Schizboy mentions, it is hard for a lot of teachers to control kids due to their limited enforcement abilities brought on by a crap Government. But that is only difficult for the teachers who do not posess the skills needed to control children without resulting to physical force. In this day and age teachers need to possess communication skills a level above those of 20 years ago. And I am sorry to say, a lot of teachers who take up the proffession do not take this into consideration.

Has anyone noticed how when you were kids 80% of teachers would be teachers at your school for 20,30 even 40 odd years in a row?

Now how many teachers do you know who are even at a school for more than a year?

i have a feeling i wil be snowed in tommorow LOL , and my car wont start etc,,

vinylandtrinkets

beerman1 . i agree not many teachers last more then a few years, i cant … beerman1 . i agree not many teachers last more then a few years, i cant believe teacher are still getting away with turning a blind eye to bullying! your poor son.i went through something like that when i was in school ( 20 odd years ago)and its hell. the problem we have at my sons school isnt as bad (yet) as with your son's.there are 30 5 year olds in my boys class and they have to strip to thier underware to do the PE lesson in the hall, all the school has access to the hall ages ranging from 3 to 11 years olds, plus caretakers, cleaners, dinner ladies, over looking the hall is a old folks homeand the head wondered why a few of us parents had a problem with this,she even had the cheek to say that if we didnt like it we must have something to hide!i informed her that if she thought a child was abused she was to inform the social services and the police. she was not impressed with me at all.from what i can gather there was a child at the school who was abused and the school got blaimed as they didnt pick up on it. so now they are refusing to budge. i did get a compromise the boys wear boxers and tshirt vest and the girls long nick and tshirt vests.the head couldnt see why we had a problem with the kids being like this as she said they screen all the staff but that makes no difference as that person may not have been caught yet!thankfully nothing has happened and my son is happy at school.he has the reading/writting skills of an 8 year old and knows right from wrong

my daughters school has a P.E 'kit' simple white polo top (99p asda) and dark shorts, try suggesting that?

getting school runners off the roasd will mean u will be able to get to work!

the closed college (in Halesowen) near dudley because its up a hill and its fing freezing at the best of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antj87

getting school runners off the roasd will mean u will be able to get to … getting school runners off the roasd will mean u will be able to get to work!

yah prob get to work quicker:thumbsup: dunno if this is good or bad thing though :giggle:

Antj87

getting school runners off the roasd will mean u will be able to get to … getting school runners off the roasd will mean u will be able to get to work!

I agree with that one mate, rush hour is no longer rush hour when the schools are off. :thumbsup:

schizoboy

Continental Europe must find this hilarious.

lol if they don't I no i do and so do the people i work with!

sometimes if im not able to laugh at this stuff, ill end up crying!

loupomm

my daughters school has a P.E 'kit' simple white polo top (99p asda) and … my daughters school has a P.E 'kit' simple white polo top (99p asda) and dark shorts, try suggesting that?

My boys school have a PE kit for kids in year 1 onwards but my 5 year old has to do it in his underwear.

This doesnt bother me too much, the reason they do it in their underwear is that if you have a class of 30 5 year olds who have to get underssed and then dressed into a PE kit then dressed again back into their uniform there would be no time for a PE lesson. and what with all these over weight kids you see now adays. I would rather my son get the exersize.

We had to do PE in our underwear 20 years ago.

BECKYBOO

My boys school have a PE kit for kids in year 1 onwards but my 5 year old … My boys school have a PE kit for kids in year 1 onwards but my 5 year old has to do it in his underwear.This doesnt bother me too much, the reason they do it in their underwear is that if you have a class of 30 5 year olds who have to get underssed and then dressed into a PE kit then dressed again back into their uniform there would be no time for a PE lesson. and what with all these over weight kids you see now adays. I would rather my son get the exersize.We had to do PE in our underwear 20 years ago.

thats very true!, my daughter is in year 2 but still comes home with clothes inside out due to lack of time/help, and yes i remeber doing it in my undies!

My sons class has 1 teacher and one teaching assistant.....

Im 27 and we did PE in our pants and vest until i was about 7.

Can anyone confirm that Halesowen College is in the Dudley Borough?

4 teaching assistants is generous!

the youngers ones at my daughters school do have kits but generally do PE less (i believe)

vinylandtrinkets

i must be getting old.:-D

lol

Just thought though, are teachers allowed to dress kids...There is probably a rule to stop them. if your teacher was male (it probably isnt) but if he was would you let him dress/undress your 5 year old daughter??

So who knows anyway the kids break up for half term on friday:cry:

BECKYBOO

lolJust thought though, are teachers allowed to dress kids...There is … lolJust thought though, are teachers allowed to dress kids...There is probably a rule to stop them. if your teacher was male (it probably isnt) but if he was would you let him dress/undress your 5 year old daughter??So who knows anyway the kids break up for half term on friday:cry:

a very good point, our school runs a footie club after school with a male coach, not sure if hes allowed to help?

i was told that even if your child soil theirself at school nowadays the school has to call a parent to go to help, not sure if thats true, i know th if y daughter did i'd not like her to have to wait for me to arrive
Post a comment
@
    Text