Groups

School sent letter about dead pupil

from yahoo

A school has apologised for writing to the parents of a dead pupil to demand she improve her attendance
    The parents of Megan Gillan, 15, who was found dead at home in January, received the letter from Macclesfield High School, in Cheshire.

The school blamed computer software which automatically generated letters and warned it could affect thousands of other schools in the UK.

It said headteacher Ged Ward had telephoned Megan's parents Mark and Margaret to apologise for the mistake and for the distress that the letter caused them.

A statement issued by the school said: "The mistake happened as a result of a problem with the software, School Information Management Systems (SIMS), which is used by the school.

"Megan's name had been taken off the school roll when she died, and removed from the main school database.

"However, unknown to the school, her details had remained in a different part of the computer system and were called up when the school did a mail merge letter to the parents of all Year 11 students about their Prom.

"The letter called up details of each student's attendance for the whole year to date and because Megan had been on roll in September, she was included."

Phil Neal, managing director of SIMS, Capita Children's Services, said: "What has happened is absolutely tragic and our thoughts are with Megan's family. When a child is no longer attending a school, for whatever reason, the software will allow the school to continue to produce letters to their parents as occasionally it is necessary to do so. It appears that this is what has happened in this case which everyone involved deeply regrets."

He added: "We are committed to making changes to the software within the next week that will ensure schools can no longer send attendance letters out to pupils no longer at the school. The changes should prevent this situation from happening again."

18 Comments

Thats sad

Just heard this on Radio 1 ........ shocking.

Computer said No.

Banned

OMG how awful, computer error is one excuse, but when i lost my baby and was released from hospital 5 days later i had to see midwifes for the 1st week, and on about the 3rd visit a midwife and her student midwife came, and the midwife asked the student if she wanted to see mum or baby, no computer error there, just someone not bothering to do her job

Original Poster

michelleleemoo;4735980

Thats sad

i know, its pretty bad.x

That's sad, The poor parents.

sassie;4736006

OMG how awful, computer error is one excuse, but when i lost my baby and … OMG how awful, computer error is one excuse, but when i lost my baby and was released from hospital 5 days later i had to see midwifes for the 1st week, and on about the 3rd visit a midwife and her student midwife came, and the midwife asked the student if she wanted to see mum or baby, no computer error there, just someone not bothering to do her job

Disgraceful, what planet did she come from? Some caring profession! :x

Similarly after our baby died and we went through the terrible experience registering his birth and his death upon the same day and then the experience of burying him.... a few weeks later we got a narky letter from the council reminding us we only had a certain amount of time to register his birth. I could hardly speak to the woman on the phone when I had to call them. My throat seized up and I literally couldn't make a sound come out properly. Fortunately she was sensible enough to figure out what I was trying to say and told me to just leave it to her and she'd sort it out. This country is dregs at times.

sassie;4736006

OMG how awful, computer error is one excuse, but when i lost my baby and … OMG how awful, computer error is one excuse, but when i lost my baby and was released from hospital 5 days later i had to see midwifes for the 1st week, and on about the 3rd visit a midwife and her student midwife came, and the midwife asked the student if she wanted to see mum or baby, no computer error there, just someone not bothering to do her job

same happened to us. Midwife arrived on the third day or so after I got home to see to my scar and was full of news about the home birth she had just been at and then asked brightly, " where's your baby? " Obviously she hadn't read my notes at all. I had to tell her.. " he's dead".

Banned

ClarityofMind;4736176

same happened to us. Midwife arrived on the third day or so after I got … same happened to us. Midwife arrived on the third day or so after I got home to see to my scar and was full of news about the home birth she had just been at and then asked brightly, " where's your baby? " Obviously she hadn't read my notes at all. I had to tell her.. " he's dead".

jeeze i thought i was a one off, seems not, how these people keep their jobs is beyond me

Well a computer error is one thing - I don't see the HUGE deal that it needs to be news, but Sassie and Clarity's experiences sound greatly distressing, my thoughts are with you both :friends:

sassie;4736006

ClarityofMind;4736176

same happened to us. Midwife arrived on the third day or so after I got … same happened to us. Midwife arrived on the third day or so after I got home to see to my scar and was full of news about the home birth she had just been at and then asked brightly, " where's your baby? " Obviously she hadn't read my notes at all. I had to tell her.. " he's dead".

I just can't imagine how you coped with midwives like this. I would probably have thrown them out. Better off without help like theirs. Should be in another job I think, where they can't do such harm.

Banned

tut tut, no excuse for this kind of thing

She must have gone back and told the other midwives she really put her foot in it as the head midwife visited me the next day and apologised for her. Tried to tell me she was " feeling my pain " as she lost her husband the year before. Some people are in the wrong jobs!

So sorry you had a loss too. It's a terrible thing to go through. My teenage daughter still receives therapy for it four years on as she'd just become an adolescent at the time and really felt like it was her baby who died.

hugs sass and CoM xxxxxxxxx

sassie;4736297

jeeze i thought i was a one off, seems not, how these people keep their … jeeze i thought i was a one off, seems not, how these people keep their jobs is beyond me

Keep their jobs because their poor victims are usually not in the best state to complain!

MAIA;4736352

Keep their jobs because their poor victims are usually not in the best … Keep their jobs because their poor victims are usually not in the best state to complain!

Absolutely right. I wish I'd been strong enough emotionally at the time, to sue that hospital with all the legal oompf I could have mustered, but my thoughts at the time were getting strong enough to continue to be a good Mum to my other kids and just to grieve and survive basically.

Thats awful . x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944529
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread424414492
      3. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller11
      4. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2836

See more discussions