School (tech) problem- advice required

50 replies
Found 5th Nov 2008
Ok bascially my younger sister has come home from tech today and has said that she laughed in class and then her teacher came down from desk and pulled my sister off her chair and then pushed her. My sister said dont be pushing me and the teacher pushed her again.

After this my sisters year head got involved and when questioned the teacher said she only tapped my sister on the shoulder to try and remove her as she was being distrubtive in class and the year head has believed the other teacher.

Now my sister has 3-4 witnesses (classmates) who say the incident and who back up her story that she was pushed by the teacher.

My question is what would you do next? Would you let the matter drop or would you take it further?

50 Comments

Take it further definatly.

Tell headteacher or the PTA.

Are you absolutely sure it happened how your lil sis says? her classmates are bound to back up her story.

if it did and there is no doubt what so ever, i'd take lots further. simply because the teacher is a lying weasel (possibly)

edit: also, in the class there would have been 20 + kids i suspect? why only 3 or 4 to back her up? find out if anyone else saw what happened.

Banned

def take it further, teacher has no reason to even tap her

Take it further, if she has witnesses and you are sure this is true, no teacher is allowed to treat a pupil this way

I would wonder if the teacher has a record of this behaviour before and does your sister also.....

It will probably amount to nothing but stirring things up big style may well create a strained teaching environment...have a think about it and be sure you have both sides of the story.

Banned

Are teachers allowed to touch kids? I thought not unless they are trying to stop them fighting etc

Def take it further. I had a similar situation with my son. Tell the school you will go to the police if they dont take the matter seriously.

That's not on, First I'd complain to the head, If nothings done then take it further, But do bare in mind that your sister could be lying or exaggerating what actually happened.

My wife is a teacher and knows firsthand that kids lie about and spin what really happened.

My sister said dont be pushing me and the teacher pushed her again.

This is the part which makes the whole thing suspect, in front of a classs of kids hmmmmm porkies me thinks

Original Poster

ChipSticks;3379314

Are you absolutely sure it happened how your lil sis says? her classmates … Are you absolutely sure it happened how your lil sis says? her classmates are bound to back up her story.if it did and there is no doubt what so ever, i'd take lots further. simply because the teacher is a lying weasel (possibly)edit: also, in the class there would have been 20 + kids i suspect? why only 3 or 4 to back her up? find out if anyone else saw what happened.

Well she came home in tears and if you knew her thats defo not like her.
Shes in a class of 8 cos its at tech so the classes are very small so that amounts to 2-3 people not seeing it,

hankmarvin4;3379318

def take it further, teacher has no reason to even tap her

X_vampiress_X;3379330

Take it further, if she has witnesses and you are sure this is true, no … Take it further, if she has witnesses and you are sure this is true, no teacher is allowed to treat a pupil this way

i dont see why she would lie tho its not in her nature.

Alfonse;3379366

I would wonder if the teacher has a record of this behaviour before and … I would wonder if the teacher has a record of this behaviour before and does your sister also.....It will probably amount to nothing but stirring things up big style may well create a strained teaching environment...have a think about it and be sure you have both sides of the story.

Dont know the teacher never heard of her before. My sister has been in trouble before for laughing/being a distrubance but that was at school since she went to tech she has been seen as a good role model (maybe a bit loud at times), good enough to have been picked from her class for a job with one of the other teachers.

Predikuesi;3379495

My wife is a teacher and knows firsthand that kids lie about and spin … My wife is a teacher and knows firsthand that kids lie about and spin what really happened.

Maybe i should have made it more clear were talking about someone who is 17 here, so its not younger kids, and to be honest my sister isnt the type of person who would make things like this up as she needs to do well here to get into college and knows making stuff up like this wouldnt help that.

Alfonse;3379507

This is the part which makes the whole thing suspect, in front of a … This is the part which makes the whole thing suspect, in front of a classs of kids hmmmmm porkies me thinks

Maybe i should have made it more clear were talking about someone who is 17 here, so its not younger kids, and to be honest my sister isnt the type of person who would make things like this up as she needs to do well here to get into college and knows making stuff up like this wouldnt help that.

I would definitely take it further but try and ask for a meeting with the teacher and head so that you can go through what actually happened. That way you get to hear their side first hand. You can then agree to let it go this time if thats appropriate, but it lets them know in no uncertain terms that you wont ignore incidents like this - true or not. Be calm and try and keep an open mind and you can often get more info than if you are defensive and protective (BTW I have an 11 yr old and 15 yr old so been there loads of times)

Good luck

Tell your sister you are going to phone the Police, impress upon her the serious nature of the matter and see if she backs down. If she doesn't and sticks to her story call the Police. They can the determine the nature of the assault and take matters further with the teacher, witnesses and the school. This behaviour by a teacher cannot/should not be tollerated nor should an attack on a teacher by a pupil.

bring back caning i say then a push wouldn't be an issue!

My teacher used to lose his temper, throwing tables and chair around the class room, no joke

I'm not defending anyone's behaviour here, but what was she doing laughing in class.
Was she being disruptive.
Had the lesson already started.

teachers have a tough job and kids are getting away with worse and worse behaviour. the level of respect kids show adults is pretty minimal cos they know they can take advantage of all the rules and regulations around how teachers can and cannot discipline.

sounds like ur sis was being disruptive. does teacher have a track record for 'tapping' or did ur sis just go too far. maybe u should have a word with her to initially and then see if its a good idea to tk it further. whats the point though.... the teacher is trying to make a living and ur sis isnt making his/her life any easier.

What happened to the days when people worried more about why a child was being disruptive in class than about whether or not the teacher tapped or pushed the child? Perhaps instead of thinking up ways to ruin this teachers career she should be thinking about how to avoid confrontation in the future by being more considerate to other children in the class by not disrupting the lesson?

ODB_69;3379422

Are teachers allowed to touch kids? I thought not unless they are trying … Are teachers allowed to touch kids? I thought not unless they are trying to stop them fighting etc

Female teachers are, but they are only allowed to put one arm around them onto a shoulder inorder to comfort them, that's my schools policy anyway. Except any teacher can use reasonable force to restrain them if they could cause harm to themselves or others.

In this case I do think your sister is exagerating and even if she's not then who cares, might stop her messing around in the future.

Original Poster

Ok have read all the replies and somewhat disagree with what is being said in parts in relation to general and not this specific circumstance.

so if someone laughs at the wrong moment they should be pulled/tapped/pushed whatever.

Will remember that next time i go to the cinema and someone laughs and disrupts my watching of the film.

Teachers are paid to do a job and not to assult pupils. Hard hob or not a number of my cousins and football team mates are teachers in classrooms far more disruptive that this school has and teachers dont assult the pupils

Think mum is going to have a word with the form teacher at beginning of next week and see where that leads.

dcx_badass;3380340

Female teachers are, but they are only allowed to put one arm around them … Female teachers are, but they are only allowed to put one arm around them onto a shoulder inorder to comfort them, that's my schools policy anyway. Except any teacher can use reasonable force to restrain them if they could cause harm to themselves or others.In this case I do think your sister is exagerating and even if she's not then who cares, might stop her messing around in the future.

Thats a bit sexist innit? thats like saying all men just want to get with the students but all the women are caring, id complain if I was there.

i wouldnt mind my female teacher comforting me

strike;3380420

i wouldnt mind my female teacher comforting me

I had some hot teachers at school who just left uni, same when I started college they were the sort who went clubbing at weekends.

Original Poster

i didnt think a teacher could touch a pupil in any way, comforting or not for fear of being reported these days?

LOL @ strike am sure you wouldnt

Yes, teachers are paid to do a job and disruptive kids stop them from being able to do that job. It's most likely that your sister is exagerating and even if she isn't exactly what harm has been done? Your sister is not injured and as mentioned might just think twice before disruptive the class again. You and your mother are obviously up in arms about the teachers behaviour but are totally unconcerned about your sisters. If either of my two kids came home and told the same story I'd be seeing the head too, to make sure that my child apologised for being disruptive.

crd67;3379824

Tell your sister you are going to phone the Police, impress upon her the … Tell your sister you are going to phone the Police, impress upon her the serious nature of the matter and see if she backs down. If she doesn't and sticks to her story call the Police. They can the determine the nature of the assault and take matters further with the teacher, witnesses and the school. This behaviour by a teacher cannot/should not be tollerated nor should an attack on a teacher by a pupil.

I agree with you. if she's telling it how it happened, then the thought of you phoning the police wont phase her at all and I would take that route myself. People can say, oh its a tough job or how dare your lil sis laugh during lesson, but that is no reason for an adult to drag a teen off her chair and shove her about.
I would take it as far as possible, simply because the teacher lied to save her own a**. i really hate liars. If it was me in the situation I would have been more understanding if the teacher had held her hands up and just said, yes i possibly lost my temper for a moment, and explained herself and said sorry. but thats just me. :roll:

sbeard1;3380594

Yes, teachers are paid to do a job and disruptive kids stop them from … Yes, teachers are paid to do a job and disruptive kids stop them from being able to do that job. It's most likely that your sister is exagerating and even if she isn't exactly what harm has been done? Your sister is not injured and as mentioned might just think twice before disruptive the class again. You and your mother are obviously up in arms about the teachers behaviour but are totally unconcerned about your sisters. If either of my two kids came home and told the same story I'd be seeing the head too, to make sure that my child apologised for being disruptive.

If you even have children lol:roll:

2 boys, a 6 year old and a 15 year old.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jko/lowres/jkon57l.jpg

lol ^

That's no good, she should be using a much bigger book - lol.

Seriously, believe it or not I don't approve of smacking.........................................................................................save energy and your hands by just banging their heads together.

sbeard1;3380594

Yes, teachers are paid to do a job and disruptive kids stop them from … Yes, teachers are paid to do a job and disruptive kids stop them from being able to do that job. It's most likely that your sister is exagerating and even if she isn't exactly what harm has been done? Your sister is not injured and as mentioned might just think twice before disruptive the class again. You and your mother are obviously up in arms about the teachers behaviour but are totally unconcerned about your sisters. If either of my two kids came home and told the same story I'd be seeing the head too, to make sure that my child apologised for being disruptive.

your poor children

to the op;

i would see about speaking to the head and tell your sister about calling police etc to see if she is willing to take it further shouldnt go in all guns blazing which is what i wud wanna do but it mite be poss that shes exaggerating just check out the facts incase you are wrong x x x

So what if he did nudge her, is she hurt?

Titchimp;3381232

So what if he did nudge her, is she hurt?

because teachers are ment to set an example if they show its ok to do this then so will the kids:thumbsup:

kids and teenagers already go around with no respect for others im not surprised if this is how they are shown to behave

ilovepink;3381263

because teachers are ment to set an example if they show its ok to do … because teachers are ment to set an example if they show its ok to do this then so will the kids:thumbsup:kids and teenagers already go around with no respect for others im not surprised if this is how they are shown to behave

If a pupil shows respect to the teacher when they are asked to leave the room (i would say im 90% sure the teacher will have warned the student) then they have little choice but to remove them by force. If a pupil shows respect in the first place then this type of thing doesnt need to happen.

Admin

Removed personal comments- refrain from arguing please guys or we'll lock the thread.

thanks jb x

Original Poster

i just dont think it right that a teach should assult a child, which is what happened.

What if it had of been the other way around and my sister pushed the teacher?

My kids are in no doubt that if anyone actually hurt them then I would make sure that it was well and truly dealt with but the only thing hurt on this occasion was the girls pride. If either of mine came home and told me that a teacher had had to forcibly remove them from the classroom because they were being so disruptive and mouthy then yes I would make them apologise and that does not make me a bad mother it makes me a responsible one. To advise someone to call the police over such an insignificant action as this, that was ultimately caused by the behaviour of the girl herself is totally irresponsible. Do you actually understand the consequences of this advice? It will not result in a simple telling off for the teacher, once they are alerted by the girls parents they will have no choice but to issue the teacher with a caution leaving them with a police record whether the police consider it fair or not. That teacher will possibly have their career and their life ruined just because a 17 year old was embarassed in front of her mates.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…815
  2. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G918
  3. Driving anxiety.2734
  4. WANTED tickets for Logic Manchester12

See more discussions