School term time leave

Found 5th Feb
hi there my cousins have gone on a pilgrimage during school term time. they go to a church of England school the total number of days they have gone for total 17 days 11.5 or will be 12 school days if they don't go in tommorow depends what time they get back from airport. the question is this the school haven't authorised the leave fair enough they haven't sent a fine but sent a letter today in post saying they have been taken off the school register I believe that is against the law it's 20 days non attendance in this case as notice was given in advance etc etc. are the school correct or are my cousins not allowed back in that school thanks for any proper answers.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
You are obviously reluctant to accept that this not the school's problem. A pity but a seemingly standard attitude these days from a generation of self entitled, self absorbed, self indulgent non entities who think their views should matter.

Why don't you go to the school, apologise and ask nicely that the kids don't be made to suffer for the utter, crass, selfish stupidity of the parents?

Before reaching for what you think are your 'rights'.

Sounds like school may be glad to shot of the parents but it is so sad to see children's futures hurt by their own parents (and not by the school as you so obviously think)
MynameisM5 h, 8 m ago

Ok nice to know u have no sympathy for children with health issues and …Ok nice to know u have no sympathy for children with health issues and parents trying anything that may help with there health oddly the school don't help much when the child has a fit in shool other than keep ringing the parents to come pick them up no calls to a ambulance etc which would and should be the first thing they do with a undiagnosed fainting.

The child wasn't really taken out of school for medical reasons though. They weren't having hospital appointments or medical help.

they went on a holiday with a religious theme and using a sick child as an excuse to break the rules when they are punished.

im not against taking children out of school during term time for short periods, I do it myself. But at least have the guts to admit that it's to save money as holiday time is expensive instead of making up excuses
It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is patchy

How sad of the parents to put the children in this position. Not very good parents are they.
Edited by: "ccnp" 5th Feb
25 Comments
Hmm, if they went on a Saturday their last attendance would be Friday. 17 days would take them to a Tuesday. Plus 4 weekend days would make it 21 days since their last attendance.

In sorry, but I have no sympathy for the parents (I do have sympathy for the children). They knew the regulations and school places are hard to get in many cases.
They need to grovel and hope that the places haven't yet been reallocated. If that has happened they will probably be offered a place at another school but it is the parents responsibility to get them there which could result in a lot of inconvenience and /or expense for them.
Edited by: "mrty" 5th Feb
A quick google suggests they can do this if unauthorised absence of over 10 days.

How sad of the parents to put the children in this position. Not very good parents are they.
Edited by: "ccnp" 5th Feb
Original Poster
mrty:
Hmm, if they went on a Saturday their last attendance would be Friday. 17 days would take them to a Tuesday. Plus 4 weekend days would make it 21 days since their last attendance.

In sorry, but I have no sympathy for the parents (I do have sympathy for the children). They knew the regulations and school places are hard to get in many cases.
They need to grovel and hope that the places haven't yet been reallocated. If that has happened they will probably be offered a place at another school but it is the parents responsibility to get them there which could result in a lot of inconvenience and /or expense for them.

It's 12 school days went away on 21st jan and coming back tommorow probably didn't make it very clear question is are the school correct at 10 days unathorised absence or is it 20 days. I believe it's 20 days main reason they went is they have tried with doctors hospitals modern medicines as one of their children keeps getting fits. Doctors first thought it's epilepsy now they keep changing there minds and still giving medication for it and increasing doses it's not helping the child they went on a pilgrimage hoping maybe that would help the child if it does I'm sure they will be glad wether or not the school gives the places back the main question is about the school not hotukdeals members opinions on term time holidays thanks.
Original Poster
ccnp26 m ago

It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is patchyHow …It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is patchyHow sad of the parents to put the children in this position. Not very good parents are they.

This is why I belive it's 20 days

legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade
Original Poster
(h)that he has been continuously absent from the school for a period of not less than twenty school days and —
(i)at no time was his absence during that period authorised by the proprietor in accordance with regulation 6(2);
(ii)the proprietor does not have reasonable grounds to believe that the pupil is unable to attend the school by reason of sickness or any unavoidable cause; and
(iii)both the proprietor of the school and the local education authority have failed, after reasonable enquiry, to ascertain where the pupil is;
You are obviously reluctant to accept that this not the school's problem. A pity but a seemingly standard attitude these days from a generation of self entitled, self absorbed, self indulgent non entities who think their views should matter.

Why don't you go to the school, apologise and ask nicely that the kids don't be made to suffer for the utter, crass, selfish stupidity of the parents?

Before reaching for what you think are your 'rights'.

Sounds like school may be glad to shot of the parents but it is so sad to see children's futures hurt by their own parents (and not by the school as you so obviously think)
It's 12 school days went away on 21st jan and coming back tommorow probably didn't make it very clear question is are the school correct at 10 days unathorised absence or is it 20 days. I believe it's 20 days main reason they went is they have tried with doctors hospitals modern medicines as one of their children keeps getting fits. Doctors first thought it's epilepsy now they keep changing there minds and still giving medication for it and increasing doses it's not helping the child they went on a pilgrimage hoping maybe that would help the child if it does I'm sure they will be glad wether or not the school gives the places back the main question is about the school not hotukdeals members opinions on term time holidays thanks.

If the kids attended school more often instead of swanning off on holidays during term time, then maybe their Punctuation, Grammar and Spelling will eventually be as good as yours.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 5th Feb
Original Poster
jaketheplumber22 m ago

It's 12 school days went away on 21st jan and coming back tommorow …It's 12 school days went away on 21st jan and coming back tommorow probably didn't make it very clear question is are the school correct at 10 days unathorised absence or is it 20 days. I believe it's 20 days main reason they went is they have tried with doctors hospitals modern medicines as one of their children keeps getting fits. Doctors first thought it's epilepsy now they keep changing there minds and still giving medication for it and increasing doses it's not helping the child they went on a pilgrimage hoping maybe that would help the child if it does I'm sure they will be glad wether or not the school gives the places back the main question is about the school not hotukdeals members opinions on term time holidays thanks.If the kids attended school more often instead of swanning off on holidays during term time, then maybe their Punctuation, Grammar and Spelling will eventually be as good as yours.

Never mind if u get giggles grammer police have sommmee moorrr from type poos and punches
Edited by: "MynameisM" 5th Feb
Is the reason they have taken them off the school register definitely because the school is saying they have missed 20 days schooling? The legislation also lets the school remove children from the register if they are abroad and travel to the school is deemed to be too far away to be possible. The school would have been obliged to try and contact the family in the first week of absence and if they discovered the family were abroad and had no information on if or indeed when they would return then they could use that information to remove the children from the school register. Agree with comments above , that the parents were very short sighted not to sort everything out with the school before leaving , it's unfair the children will suffer for this.
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 5th Feb
Original Poster
tinkerbellian8 m ago

Is the reason they have taken them off the school register definitely …Is the reason they have taken them off the school register definitely because the school is saying they have missed 20 days schooling? The legislation also lets the school remove children from the register if they are abroad and travel to the school is deemed to be too far away to be possible. The school would have been obliged to try and contact the family in the first week of absence and if they discovered the family were abroad and had no information on if or indeed when they would return then they could use that information to remove the children from the school register. Agree with comments above , that the parents were very short sighted not to sort everything out with the school before leaving , it's unfair the children will suffer for this.

No the reason they gave is its more than 10 days which is the reasons im asking but like always most on hotukdeals dont answer the question being asked rather they give there opinon on something differnet all toghther.

I assume that the school have made a error or are doing this hoping the parents aren't aware it's 20 days for which they can take them off the register you look at the link I have given above that's what I'm trying figure out. If they are correct and it's more than 10 days absence and school is correct then no point going to ask them about it but if they have just made it up which I assume they have as the high school have sent a letter which states 20 days absence will result in removal from the school. They did go to the school but school said the exact same thing in letter.
MynameisM33 m ago

No the reason they gave is its more than 10 days which is the reasons im …No the reason they gave is its more than 10 days which is the reasons im asking but like always most on hotukdeals dont answer the question being asked rather they give there opinon on something differnet all toghther. I assume that the school have made a error or are doing this hoping the parents aren't aware it's 20 days for which they can take them off the register you look at the link I have given above that's what I'm trying figure out. If they are correct and it's more than 10 days absence and school is correct then no point going to ask them about it but if they have just made it up which I assume they have as the high school have sent a letter which states 20 days absence will result in removal from the school. They did go to the school but school said the exact same thing in letter.

According to the sources I've found, it's 20 days absence if it's not authorised by the school.
If their school is an academy then there will be guidelines specific to that school, rather than the Local Authority guidelines as the school does not have to conform to them anymore. They will have an attendance policy on their website somewhere - all the policies have to be there somewhere if you look so you can actually check what the school's own stance on this is and go from there.

As a school governor I've got no sympathy for them at all though.
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 5th Feb
I once applied to take my child out of school for two days. We wanted to go on holiday in half term but the flight home was on the Tuesday. I filled in the form but got the dates wrong and actually applied for the Monday and Tuesday of the half term holiday by mistake. It still got declined.
Original Poster
Cakeboy7912 m ago

If their school is an academy then there will be guidelines specific to …If their school is an academy then there will be guidelines specific to that school, rather than the Local Authority guidelines as the school does not have to conform to them anymore. They will have an attendance policy on their website somewhere - all the policies have to be there somewhere if you look so you can actually check what the school's own stance on this is and go from there.As a school governor I've got no sympathy for them at all though.

Ok nice to know u have no sympathy for children with health issues and parents trying anything that may help with there health oddly the school don't help much when the child has a fit in shool other than keep ringing the parents to come pick them up no calls to a ambulance etc which would and should be the first thing they do with a undiagnosed fainting.
MynameisM2 h, 5 m ago

Ok nice to know u have no sympathy for children with health issues and …Ok nice to know u have no sympathy for children with health issues and parents trying anything that may help with there health oddly the school don't help much when the child has a fit in shool other than keep ringing the parents to come pick them up no calls to a ambulance etc which would and should be the first thing they do with a undiagnosed fainting.

That should probably have said I've got no sympathy for the parents as they've taken their children out of school with no permission granted. However, regarding the fitting, there would have to be a process in place agreed with the parents that the school follow. So, if as you say, the school are just ringing the parents then that's what the parents have agreed. There will be a risk assessment undertaken with the parents involved and that's the path they've chosen to follow.

psychobitchfromhell2 h, 9 m ago

I once applied to take my child out of school for two days. We wanted to …I once applied to take my child out of school for two days. We wanted to go on holiday in half term but the flight home was on the Tuesday. I filled in the form but got the dates wrong and actually applied for the Monday and Tuesday of the half term holiday by mistake. It still got declined.

Under DFE regulations, head teachers aren't allowed to approve any term time leave for holiday. I guess they just misread your dates or chose to just send you the standard not approved letter/form anyway
Kids should be in school no matter what (obviously sickness is fine) No holidays of any kind should be taken.... school is in the right here.
Cakeboy7912 m ago

That should probably have said I've got no sympathy for the parents as …That should probably have said I've got no sympathy for the parents as they've taken their children out of school with no permission granted. However, regarding the fitting, there would have to be a process in place agreed with the parents that the school follow. So, if as you say, the school are just ringing the parents then that's what the parents have agreed. There will be a risk assessment undertaken with the parents involved and that's the path they've chosen to follow.Under DFE regulations, head teachers aren't allowed to approve any term time leave for holiday. I guess they just misread your dates or chose to just send you the standard not approved letter/form anyway

I reckon so. Was a few years ago. It was the irony of the situation. I offered to send him in if they would come in and teach him
MynameisM5 h, 8 m ago

The child wasn't really taken out of school for medical reasons though. They weren't having hospital appointments or medical help.

they went on a holiday with a religious theme and using a sick child as an excuse to break the rules when they are punished.

im not against taking children out of school during term time for short periods, I do it myself. But at least have the guts to admit that it's to save money as holiday time is expensive instead of making up excuses
another week or so and you get half term and the issue would not have occurred. Shame they couldn't have waited. I'd be more concerned about the wisdom of taking a child with a serious but undiagnosed medical condition on a long haul flight. What if there is a medical emergency mid air? Then what? As a parent, I would not risk that.
I'm not particularly big on religion but I come from a very religious family. God is meant to be omnipresent and omniscient. If this is the case, why is there a need to take a sick child half way across the world to ask for a cure? I get what you are saying op, but I can also see the school's point of view.
Im so sorry to hear that they have lost the school places but Congratulations on the holy pilgrim.
Every school is different but yours sound very strict then im sure your cousins parents must have known about this. They should have taken 1 week from either Christmas or February holidays.
Some head teacher's take pride in the attendance record's but because there was more siblings in the school who also went away it has now affected the records. The school place can still be allocated to them but you should arrange some kind of meetings with the head and school governors asap. You need to make sure that they attend every day from now on.
Original Poster
Update. I emailed them the above legislation and the letter from the high school which clearly stated 20 days absence and they have agreed to this as being the correct and not the made up 10 days that they used. Also lucky for some other child who had been offered a place aswell and they keeping them there aswell
Original Poster
ccnp5th Feb

It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is patchyHow …It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is patchyHow sad of the parents to put the children in this position. Not very good parents are they.

It was 20 days 10 days is made up.
Original Poster
ccnp:

It was 20 days 10 days is incorrect.
MynameisM10 m ago

ccnp:It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is …ccnp:It's 10 days. Especially if the previous attendance record is patchyHow sad of the parents to put the children in this position. Not very good parents are they.It was 20 days 10 days is incorrect.

The parents really won a righteous fight here...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants