School's asking for bottle donations

Found 27th Jun 2014
Should school's be able to ask for bottle donations from parents. When I was at the school to pick up daughter we was asked to bring in bottle donations for a summer fair. When I asked what sort of bottles the response was " I like rosé wine and white". So it seems like they are expecting free alcohol because most people only have alcohol in bottles. Do you think this should be allowed. Should they be allowed to have alcohol on school premises.
Community Updates
MiscSchool
29 Comments
Our school do chocolate for Reception and year one then bottles from then on.
Bottle of orange squash..... so the whole school can benefit (_;)
Our primary school does a pick a bottle stall at the summer fair, all the bottles are wrapped up and you pay to choose a bottle & either get a full bottle of wine or one with water in it. Don't see any problem with this as I'm pretty sure they won't be selling them to the children!!
if you don't like it just don't take anything in, what's the worst that can happen?
I'm sure they're not expecting alcohol. Undoubtedly some people will take it in, but most I imagine will take in bottles of pop.

As for "should they be allowed to have alcohol on school premises?". Yes - as long as they don't drink it at the school / during working hours, and it's kept out of the reach of kids?

And if the teacher said "I prefer molotov cocktails" would you think he was a pyromaniac? or just being witty/funny?

Yes it may be that the teacher likes a tipple but as per mikeyblue

As for "should they be allowed to have alcohol on school premises?". Yes … As for "should they be allowed to have alcohol on school premises?". Yes - as long as they don't drink it at the school / during working hours, and it's kept out of the reach of kids?

Edited by: "philphil61" 27th Jun 2014
Take a bottle elderflower.
don't be that parent, it'll just cause problems for your child

knock it on the head asap
Do all schools scrounge like this these days?
toshapetriji

Do all schools scrounge like this these days?

Yes.
Funds raised at fetes go directly to the children. They might use the money for library books, playground equipment or to offset the costs of trips and theatre visits. It's a way of supporting your school. My experience is that the same few parents are actively involved in the PTA/FRIENDS of the school from infants through to senior school running fund raising events. Would it hurt to donate a bottle? If you don't want to give alcohol, there are plenty of soft drinks, bubble baths and sauces you could give.

because most people only have alcohol in bottles.

lol, REAAALLLY
just take a 99p bottle of pop for them to use in a tombola to raise money to buy books for your child

I don't see why this is even an issue, school budgets are getting cut just like the rest of the top public services thanks to mr cameron so I don't see them trying to raise money for school as a bad thing.

Did you not have to pay £1 or 50p for non uniform as a child?
Edited by: "StevenBrown" 27th Jun 2014
Its bring a bottle. You can take a bottle of whatever you want. My sons school did the same and you could take in shampoo etc.

Im assuming its a money raising scheme which should ultimately benefit your child so just take a bottle.
Maybe it was a joke (" I like rosé wine and white") ? Personally I'd have said Vodka. At-least Catholic schools keep it simple, they just ask you for money Although I can see the alcohol donations catching on
Edited by: "sparkyIreland" 27th Jun 2014
My Sons school specifically ask for wine as they have a stall for just the Adults to purchase a wine bottle wrapped in newspaper and its pot luck if it contains wine or water . I don't see any problem with this as it all helps towards school and the PTA work very hard organising such events , infact I am helping out at the school fair tomorrow as I do with most school events and a lot of people are very generous with what they donate , its simple only donate what you can afford or even donate an unwanted gift , make a cake for the cake stall etc ...
I think it was a joke when the teacher or whoever you spoke to said what wine to bring in. They had a a prize hamper full of bottles here at summer fayre in school this week. I usually donate anything unwanted for tombola prizes whenever they ask. Come September my children will all be at 3 different schools so I will be having to come up with more donations than usual.

StevenBrown

just take a 99p bottle of pop for them to use in a tombola to raise money … just take a 99p bottle of pop for them to use in a tombola to raise money to buy books for your childI don't see why this is even an issue, school budgets are getting cut just like the rest of the top public services thanks to mr cameron so I don't see them trying to raise money for school as a bad thing.Did you not have to pay £1 or 50p for non uniform as a child?

Actually the cuts are down to Labour, they managed to trash our economy.
toshapetriji

Actually the cuts are down to Labour, they managed to trash our economy.

lets not turn it into a political debate but after thatcher sold off or privatised everything it was already on a downward slope and labours borrowing and over easy welfare system didn't help at all but its cameron who has issued the hard hack and slash spending cuts and I think the national debt is going up not down
StevenBrown

lets not turn it into a political debate but after thatcher sold off or … lets not turn it into a political debate but after thatcher sold off or privatised everything it was already on a downward slope and labours borrowing and over easy welfare system didn't help at all but its cameron who has issued the hard hack and slash spending cuts and I think the national debt is going up not down

Lucky he made the cuts then else it would be a lot higher. Typical Labour supporter to still be blaming Thatcher for their 13 years in power. Errmm stay out of Iraq how many billions saved I wonder.
toshapetriji

Lucky he made the cuts then else it would be a lot higher. Typical Labour … Lucky he made the cuts then else it would be a lot higher. Typical Labour supporter to still be blaming Thatcher for their 13 years in power. Errmm stay out of Iraq how many billions saved I wonder.

erm I never said I supported labour? typical tory fanboy quick to jump to the wrong conclusion?

That said with everything sold off and privatised did reduce income for the government therefore leading to borrowing?
yes they should have kept out of the iraq thing as it had nothing to do with us.

I support who ever I feel will do best for this country, having allegiance to one party is beyond stupid

anyway lets not argue over it, this is a school thread not a political debate
Edited by: "StevenBrown" 27th Jun 2014
StevenBrown

erm I never said I supported labour? typical tory fanboy quick to gun to … erm I never said I supported labour? typical tory fanboy quick to gun to the wrong conclusion?That said with everything sold off and privatised did reduce income for the government therefore leading to borrowing?yes they should have kept out of the iraq thing as it had nothing to do with us.I support who ever I feel will do best for this country, having allegiance to one party is beyond stupid

I don't vote Tory. Labour had a full 13 years to fix anything they thought was broken and Maggie left Government 7 years before Tony arrived. They just found it easy to spend other peoples money and left the country bankrupt.
http://s3.postimg.org/vgp1a878j/Bottles.png

tosh -

do all schools scrounge?

a lot of state schools do now ask parents to financially contribute.

dailymail.co.uk/new…tml
Schools have been asking for donations of some kind since time began. My Mum would say when they were having a Xmas class party each child in her class were allocated an item to bring in such as a jelly, a pack of biscuits etc.

hotukdeals.com/dea…345

Would it be such a big deal to buy this or donate or a bottle of lemonade etc ?
Mum2ConnornCerys

Would it be such a big deal to buy this or donate or a bottle of lemonade … Would it be such a big deal to buy this or donate or a bottle of lemonade etc ?

It is for some, I notice the same kids ignore donations (and probably the contirbutions to trips) Yet they have money for shops after school and daily £1 energy drinks.
I started school in 1989, and I can remember taking stuff like this in for Christmas fairs and Summer fairs, right up until I left school in 2001. It always seemed pretty normal too me, along with taking stuff in for Harvest festival, which would be made up into Hampers and taken to the elderly and needy families who lived around the schools at Christmas.

splatsplatsplat

lol, REAAALLLY

Yes, what else are bottles used for? I can't think of any other reason why a bottle would be created. oO
Edited by: "NEtech" 29th Jun 2014
Kitten13

I started school in 1989, and I can remember taking stuff like this in … I started school in 1989, and I can remember taking stuff like this in for Christmas fairs and Summer fairs, right up until I left school in 2001. It always seemed pretty normal too me, along with taking stuff in for Harvest festival, which would be made up into Hampers and taken to the elderly and needy families who lived around the schools at Christmas.

I left Primary school in 1990 and agree with your comments about donations. It was always a big thing at our school and something we used to love being part of

Loved harvest festival my kids now don't do anything like that! I am more than happy to donate things to the school though if required
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 29th Jun 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants