Schweppes recalls 1783 crisp tonic waters due to tops popping off unexpectedly

Editor 10
Found 13th Jul
Just had an email from Sainsbury’s to say that Schweppes have recalled their “posh” 600ml bottles of 1783 crisp tonic water with an expiry date of upto and including 31st March 2019 - no other batch is affected.

Apparently, they haven’t fastened the lids properly and they could spontaneously “pop” without any warning. The quality of the drink is fine but they are just worried in case it pops off in someone’s face without warning.
The advice is to open them as you would fizzy wine by holding the bottle away from your body.

if you have an affected bottle, Please contact the Schweppes Customer Careline on 0800 227711 to be reimbursed with a product voucher.

They have just announced that they are extending their 1793 range with a muscovado tonic which is designed to be drink with dark spirits such as whiskey and rum. It will be on sale from the end of the summer.

2983889.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
10 Comments
Spontaneously popping without warning is a serious problem.
Thankfully there are drugs available on the nhs that can combat the problem.
Don’t mind if my misses top pops of spontaneously.... 😜🤪
once u pop u cant stop
Ocado sent me this mail on Wednesday night...

34350377-hfRyc.jpg
Original Poster Editor
Chasloyal1 h, 5 m ago

Ocado sent me this mail on Wednesday night...[Image]

All round to yours then with your “posh” tonic!
emribena35 m ago

All round to yours then with your “posh” tonic!

Can I make it crystal clear that there is not an alcohol problem in this house, least of all with gin be it posh or common as muck

34351441-kE4Lw.jpg
Edited by: "Chasloyal" 14th Jul
Original Poster Editor
Chasloyal14th Jul

Can I make it crystal clear that there is not an alcohol problem in this …Can I make it crystal clear that there is not an alcohol problem in this house, least of all with gin be it posh or common as muck [Image]

Some very fine specimens there! Here’s mine....
34351643-nCGlO.jpg
emribena29 m ago

Some very fine specimens there! Here’s mine....[Image]

Yeah collecting gin is the new collecting collector's editions of games on this firm

That Seville orange Tanqueray is definitely better than the blood orange Whitley Neill as far as I'm concerned, would you agree?

Saying about that Tanqueray, I have come up with a concoction of a double of Seville orange, a single of Aperol and that 1783 Crisp (although any half decent traditional tonic will do) garnished with a wedge of lime and/or a fat slice of orange and a couple of fresh mint leaves it really hits the spot!

I must admit had anyone told me this time last year that 12 months on I would be a gin freak experimenting with it like some barman in a trendy gaff in town I'd have laughed at them but here I am and in to it big time.

You can get a few apps that tell what to mix with most gins but they're all pretty obvious when you look at the botanicals in each specific gin has inside so I have tried loads of different things myself instead: some have been the mutt's nuts, most have been passable and of course some have been minging, it's all trial and error.

34351963-OGNWJ.jpg
Talking tonics these two are proper mustard, the Bermondsey one is a bit pricey but it is a cut above your Schweppes, Fever Trees and even that Fentimans botanical next to it.
Original Poster Editor
Chasloyal28 m ago

Yeah collecting gin is the new collecting collector's editions of games on …Yeah collecting gin is the new collecting collector's editions of games on this firm That Seville orange Tanqueray is definitely better than the blood orange Whitley Neill as far as I'm concerned, would you agree?Saying about that Tanqueray, I have come up with a concoction of a double of Seville orange, a single of Aperol and that 1783 Crisp (although any half decent traditional tonic will do) garnished with a wedge of lime and/or a fat slice of orange and a couple of fresh mint leaves it really hits the spot!I must admit had anyone told me this time last year that 12 months on I would be a gin freak experimenting with it like some barman in a trendy gaff in town I'd have laughed at them but here I am and in to it big time.You can get a few apps that tell what to mix with most gins but they're all pretty obvious when you look at the botanicals in each specific gin has inside so I have tried loads of different things myself instead: some have been the mutt's nuts, most have been passable and of course some have been minging, it's all trial and error.[Image] Talking tonics these two are proper mustard, the Bermondsey one is a bit pricey but it is a cut above your Schweppes, Fever Trees and even that Fentimans botanical next to it.

I do like the Whtiley Neill blood orange but only with watt and lamb hibiscus tonic and a slice of orange and only on a hot day! I do like the Tanqueray sevilla and Tanqueray number 10 and rangpur are my favourites followed by Bloom.
Don't get me started on spiced gin - yuck Ophir - ewwww awful stuff I gave it away. Tastes like when you have eaten the cardamon pod in your Indian rice by mistake not pleasant at all.
I must try what you suggested with the Aperol though sounds a nice long summer drink.
Have you seen Tanquery do a lovage gin now - not too sure on that?! I'd like to try the Malacca one as well but can't find it yet.
Have you tried the Manx gin Fynoderee? I have the winter one and they have just yesterday bought out the summer one made with strawberries so that is high on my want list.
Tanqueray Rangpur with the Fever tree lemon Scilian lemon tonic the one that looks like bitter lemon with limes and lime zest is very refreshing too. Not keen on the basil or cucumber tonics though although Sainsburys are doing a Merchant's Heart pink peppercorn tonic which I must try. I have a bottle of salty lemon Schweppes to try as well - so many gins so little time!
34352319-glOe1.jpg
emribena1 h, 17 m ago

I do like the Whtiley Neill blood orange but only with watt and lamb …I do like the Whtiley Neill blood orange but only with watt and lamb hibiscus tonic and a slice of orange and only on a hot day! I do like the Tanqueray sevilla and Tanqueray number 10 and rangpur are my favourites followed by Bloom. Don't get me started on spiced gin - yuck Ophir - ewwww awful stuff I gave it away. Tastes like when you have eaten the cardamon pod in your Indian rice by mistake not pleasant at all. I must try what you suggested with the Aperol though sounds a nice long summer drink.Have you seen Tanquery do a lovage gin now - not too sure on that?! I'd like to try the Malacca one as well but can't find it yet.Have you tried the Manx gin Fynoderee? I have the winter one and they have just yesterday bought out the summer one made with strawberries so that is high on my want list.Tanqueray Rangpur with the Fever tree lemon Scilian lemon tonic the one that looks like bitter lemon with limes and lime zest is very refreshing too. Not keen on the basil or cucumber tonics though although Sainsburys are doing a Merchant's Heart pink peppercorn tonic which I must try. I have a bottle of salty lemon Schweppes to try as well - so many gins so little time![Image]

34353245-vXyir.jpg
As you can see we got the pink peppercorn Merchant's Heart which is perfect for Audemus pink pepper gin and that hibiscus L&W in stock too I've forgotten which one I really enjoyed it with, think it might have been the Boatyard double gin from Ulster which was craft gin club's monthly offering a few months back. Hmmm but then again that Fentimans botanical was definitely what I deemed the perfect tonic for that gin. Double Dutch do a water melon and cucumber tonic which is alright with the more sweeter fruit flavoured gins I suppose.

I see that Lovage one on the JL site when it came out a couple of months ago, it's a litre bottle and because we get 25% discount through her partner card I did think about it but didn't bother, been out of stock for quite a while now.

I've just picked her up from work hence I've poured myself one of them I spoke about above and added a few juniper berries and aniseed star whilst she's on the Sipsmith sloe gin and Fever Tree ginger ale after getting out of the shower, chill time.

Talk about gin thread eh, chin chin
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants