sciatica

Found 17th Jun
Does anyone please have any cures or relieving pain for sciatica?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
If you have had it for more than a couple of days, visit your GP.

If it is long-term there are options such as acupuncture (open for debate as to whether it works) and physiotherapy manipulation, but the likelihood is in the short term, you need anti inflammatory/pain management medication.

Try an ice pack if you have one. It may help.
Edited by: "hottoast" 17th Jun
Sciatica usually gets better in 4 to 6 weeks but can sometimes last longer.

There has also been a lot of trials on acupuncture. Several thousands in fact. The problem is a lot of these trials are small. Preliminary trials. They're pilot trials, and a lot of problems with them.

The the following is the view of Professor Asbjørn Hróbjartsson, who works at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, University of Southern Denmark & Odense University Hospital.

Asbjørn has spent years looking at the several thousand trials done on acupuncture.

His major conclusions are:

While there have been many trials done with acupuncture, most of them are small pilot studies and large scale high quality trials are rare.

Some studies have reported measurable effects, but the mechanism is not yet understood, the size of the effect is small and it is possible that a large part of the effect or all of the effect is placebo.

He thinks it’s obvious that you would see a physiological effect when you stick a needle into your body, the question is whether that has a measurable clinical effect.

There is also insufficient evidence to say that electro acupuncture is any more or any less effective as well.

There is also low to moderate-quality evidence suggesting that spinal manipulation is an effective treatment for acute sciatica.

I've have heard however that pilates is supposed to be very good for lower back pain. In fact what it was I heard was it is supposed to help strengthen your lower back. Not sure if it's effective for sciatica though would do no harm to give it a go.

Advice from the NHS is as follows as well.

Do

1. carry on with your normal activities as much as possible.

2. regular back stretches.

3. start gentle exercise as soon as you can – anything that gets you moving can help.

4. hold heat packs to the painful areas – you can buy these from pharmacies.

5. ask your pharmacist about painkillers that can help.

Ask for generic versions of painkillers as branded versions as you know can be quite expensive.

Don't

- sit or lie down for long periods – even if moving hurts, it's not harmful and can help you get better faster

- take paracetamol on its own – this doesn't help with back pain or sciatica

- use hot water bottles to ease the pain – you could scald yourself if your skin is numb

Have you been referred to a physiotherapist? A physiotherapists can offer exercise advice and techniques like massage.

Physiotherapy from the NHS may not be available everywhere though and waiting times can be long. Though you can also get it privately. Ask your GP nevertheless.

Mindfulness?

Mindfulness may be effective for treating lower back pain though sciatica will need investigationing and treatment appropriate to the underlying cause.

patient.info/health/back-and-spine-pain/lower-back-pain

nhs.uk/news/mental-health/mindfulness-may-be-effective-for-treating-lower-back-pain/

nhs.uk/conditions/sciatica/
Edited by: "LemonHead" 17th Jun
Try doing core exercises, I got mine after lifting large thread rolling dies onto a machine. Exercise helped me to reduce it.
The highest grade co-codamol, for the short term pain relief
majestic20125 m ago

The highest grade co-codamol, for the short term pain relief

Ask your pharmacist about painkillers that can help.

Your GP may also prescribe painkillers that help with nerve pain like sciatica.
I have also had sciatica in the last year. Two factors; I was overweight and I had a belt on my trousers. Removing the belt went a long way to sorting it out short term. Loosing a lot of weight then meant the belt could go back on.

Weight in kilos divided height squared = BMI. Over 30 and the quack will nag you to death about it.

Painkillers help but Codene bungs you up like cement. Make sure they also prescribe Senna
Piroxicam Gel (Feldene) works better for me than Voltarol. Gels don't block up your digestive system like anti inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac have a tendency to do.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 19th Jun
ccnp18 m ago

I have also had sciatica in the last year. Two factors; I was overweight …I have also had sciatica in the last year. Two factors; I was overweight and I had a belt on my trousers. Removing the belt went a long way to sorting it out short term. Loosing a lot of weight then meant the belt could go back on.Weight in kilos divided height squared = BMI. Over 30 and the quack will nag you to death about it.Painkillers help but Codene bungs you up like cement. Make sure they also prescribe Senna

patient.info/med…ief
jaketheplumber10 m ago

Piroxicam Gel (Feldene) works for me better for me than Voltarol. Gels …Piroxicam Gel (Feldene) works for me better for me than Voltarol. Gels don't block up your digestive system like anti inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac have a tendency to do.

However, don't use gels while taking pain relieving drugs, it's possible to overdose. Check the ingredients, for example avoid using ibuprofen gels if taking ibuprofen tablets. GP's and pharmacists can also offer advice.
I did physiotherapy back in 2013 (think it was 5 sessions on the NHS) but it didn't do much.

What works a bit for me is an opiate prescription painkiller (dihydrocodeine). Which I was prescribed privately because the GP won't go past ibuprofen.

There are other prescription drugs like gabapentin etc. that are specifically for neuropathic pain that might work better for you.

I can't take ibuprofen now because I have acid reflux problems and it wasn't doing much anyway.
Edited by: "hearts22" 17th Jun
Have you tried cannabis oil?
Try an epidural
Light yoga and focused light back stretches and exercise.
I have had it since february. Im on Gabapentin that helps. Physio didn't help at all. sports massage didn't help either.

Docs wont do anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants