Science - Beer - Freezer

Banned 10
Found 22nd Sep 2009
So I forget to keep a beer in the fridge when I get home so I chuck it in the freezer to cool it quickly. Sometimes I leave it in there too long and it becomes very cold when I take it out the outside frosts up but the liquid inside is still well liquid. When I lift the cap off the liquid starts to turn to ice VERY quickly like what happens to the helicopters in Day After Tomorrow. Anyone else done this and thought "Wow! mind = blown" Everyone I've shown it to has had the same affect on them and blown their minds.

My question though is can anyone explain it to me?

It's got to do with the sudden release of gas from opening the cap as it will stay in liquid form quite happily till I do so. The bubbles seem to enhance the effect.

10 Comments

Because beer has carbon dioxide in it, it's freezing point is lowered so it is less likely to freeze. When you cool the beer down below freezing with the cap on, the beer will not freeze, but once you open it, you release the carbon dioxide. As the beer quickly loses the dissolved carbon dioxide, the freezing point for the beer quickly goes up. Once freezing point gets up to the temperature of the superchilled beer, the beer freezes and turns into a solid.

But agreed it is mind blowing...

I have always wanted to try it after a friend sent this clip:

youtube.com/wat…SBo

Just don't forget about it and leave it,done it a few times with canned drinks and had messy,sticky freezer.

Mum2Connor&Cerys;6368238

Just don't forget about it and leave it,done it a few times with canned … Just don't forget about it and leave it,done it a few times with canned drinks and had messy,sticky freezer.

yeah done that as well...luckily was in the work freezer!

also the alcohol content has a lower freezing point

Original Poster Banned

Yeah left it in too lol they should do this at school, would make for an interesting lesson

thanks for the explanation woodhall, could have asked my Mum as she's an A level science teacher but I'm lazy

It's a bit hit and miss at getting it to do it though, don't have an infra red device to measure the temperature inside the bottle. Also it completely ruins the beer as all the Carbon dioxide gets pushed to the top when it defrosts

lumoruk;6368277

Yeah left it in too lol they should do this at school, would make for an … Yeah left it in too lol they should do this at school, would make for an interesting lessonthanks for the explanation woodhall, could have asked my Mum as she's an A level science teacher but I'm lazy :pIt's a bit hit and miss at getting it to do it though, don't have an infra red device to measure the temperature inside the bottle. Also it completely ruins the beer as all the Carbon dioxide gets pushed to the top when it defrosts

yeah!

you can do it with water as well :thumbsup:

Banned

If you play with beer you shouldn't be allowed to drink it. ;-p

Pluun;6370167

If you play with beer you shouldn't be allowed to drink it. ;-p

sure you should! otherwise what use is drinking, if not to play?

awoodhall2003;6368169

Because beer has carbon dioxide in it, it's freezing point is lowered so … Because beer has carbon dioxide in it, it's freezing point is lowered so it is less likely to freeze. When you cool the beer down below freezing with the cap on, the beer will not freeze, but once you open it, you release the carbon dioxide. As the beer quickly loses the dissolved carbon dioxide, the freezing point for the beer quickly goes up. Once freezing point gets up to the temperature of the superchilled beer, the beer freezes and turns into a solid.But agreed it is mind blowing...

I think it's also to do with the fact the liquid was under pressure and anything under pressure is less likely to freeze than anything at standard pressure.
Post a comment
@
    Text