Groups

SCIENCE QUESTION

A dolphin produces a sound with a frequency of 120 000Hz. The wavelength is 1.25 cm , What is the speed of sound in water? Is that faster or slower than in air? Why?

PLEASE ANSWER THE ABOVE QUESTION.

16 Comments

Do your own homework!

Banned

slower because the water is thicker than air :?

Banned

it's slower i think

its slower because sound waves take longer to travel through water than it does through air....

I can't give any figures without googling since i did physics A-Level a good few years ago!

Original Poster

Goonieman;8489055

Do your own homework!

It's not my homework!

OK MAYBE I lie! :whistling:

id say faster at a guess cos the particles are closer together so have less distance to travel before banging into another one - and faster still through a solid.

....I think... from what i can remember from GCSE science back in 1994!! - Basically i dont know!

clubba 786;8489077

It's not my homework! OK MAYBE I lie! :whistling:

Ok i'd say slower....or faster.

Original Poster

Ok so now I really need to know what the speed of the damn thing is in water! Please

faster in water (denser)

speed = f x wavelength
    speed = 120000 x 0.0125
    speed = 1500m/s
    faster
    travels by compressions and rarefactions of the denser medium

from what i can remember it is about 5 times faster

Banned

chesso;8489153

speed = f x wavelengthspeed = 120000 x 0.0125speed = 1500m/sfastertravels … speed = f x wavelengthspeed = 120000 x 0.0125speed = 1500m/sfastertravels by compressions and rarefactions of the denser medium

lol o dear! i was good at physics when i studied it :lol:

bykergrove;8489179

lol o dear! i was good at physics when i studied it :lol:

Well at least you can check my sums!!;-)

MANJ_007;8489081

id say faster at a guess cos the particles are closer together so have … id say faster at a guess cos the particles are closer together so have less distance to travel before banging into another one - and faster still through a solid.....I think... from what i can remember from GCSE science back in 1994!! - Basically i dont know!

chesso;8489153

speed = f x wavelengthspeed = 120000 x 0.0125speed = 1500m/sfastertravels … speed = f x wavelengthspeed = 120000 x 0.0125speed = 1500m/sfastertravels by compressions and rarefactions of the denser medium

Thats what i said - well sort of!

MANJ_007;8489236

Thats what i said - well sort of!

;-):-D:thumbsup:

Definitely faster!!!!!

Because the particles are closer together, the distance to the next closest particle is therefore shorter which means less distance needs to be traveled to transfer the energy from one particle to another, basically what chesso: said.

WTF did you people learn at school?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846177
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764229
      3. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…45
      4. What do these 2 men have in common1321

See more discussions