Scottish Hydro Electric- HELP PLEASE!!

Found 29th Jan 2012
I live in a rented house and the gas is in a pre-pay meter. The card has always worked before, and now its coming up with "CARD FAILED 35"

Have no idea what to do, I am useless with this sort of stuff. Only enough Gas to last overnight

There is no emergency amount. What can I do???

I have checked the receipt and it says it has been creditted no problem.

Have tried putting the card in at different angles to see if the sensor will pick up the chip and have cleaned the chip with a clean cloth and its still not working.

Left it for 15 mins to see if it was maybe just a timing thing but nope still the same message.

What should I do??

24 Comments

Original Poster

Seen this but I am at work for the next three days out of blooming town!!!!! Grrrrrrr

Link

Original Poster

And should it be my responsibility to call or landlords??

Read the title and thought this was your great idea! Running your water (if not metered) to produce electric !

As for the gas card no idea as don't have one. Although I though they had changed from the chipped cards to keys now as they were too easy to clone.

Banned

you need to contact your supplier, no it is not the landlords problem unless of course he pays the bill

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Read the title and thought this was your great idea! Running your water … Read the title and thought this was your great idea! Running your water (if not metered) to produce electric ! :)As for the gas card no idea as don't have one. Although I though they had changed from the chipped cards to keys now as they were too easy to clone.

Still a card I have here Nope that isnt my idea either, its nothing I have invented haha

Original Poster

sassie

you need to contact your supplier, no it is not the landlords problem … you need to contact your supplier, no it is not the landlords problem unless of course he pays the bill

Darn ok cheers hun why does everything go pete tong when saxo goes back to work?!

Original Poster

Thought this would be the case do they have folk that work on call??

Rub the gold contacts hard with your finger for about 10-15 seconds, then try to insert and see if it reads the card.

Mod & Ed

I had this problem when they had the old cardboard bus like tickets you had to put in the meter, had terrible trouble, in the end rang them and explained, they sent someone out that night to get it sorted, explain you have a toddler in the house etc and they will treat you as a priority

as above, also try rubbing the contacts on the card on your clothes, the contacts can sometimes be too cold to read, if that doesn't work try above

Original Poster

Is there call out charges???

Mod & Ed

crazyblondechick

Is there call out charges???

well I never paid, and it was me being stupid

Original Poster

Ok will try calling them and see what they say

Original Poster

Got this from their PDF still not spoke to someone and that has now been 8 mins

your gas pay as you go meter is faulty
If your gas supply stops because your meter is faulty please
call 0800 980 0428. We guarantee to visit and put the
problem right within 4 hours if you contact us between 8am
and 8pm or between 9am and 5pm at the weekend. If you
let us know outside these times, we will call before midday
the following day. If we visit and the problem is caused by
you, for example you haven’t charged your gas card with
enough money, we may charge you for our visit. We will tell
you how much our current charges are when you phone us.
If we have to charge for a visit, we will normally add the
money due as a debt on your pay as you go meter so you
can pay for it over a few weeks. If we don’t keep our
promise to call within 4 hours or before midday the
following day, we will pay you £20.

Banned

Give them a call they can give you an 8 digit code to take to the shop to get a new key

Original Poster

HUKDeLITE

Give them a call they can give you an 8 digit code to take to the shop to … Give them a call they can give you an 8 digit code to take to the shop to get a new key

Its not a key its a card

Banned

crazyblondechick

Its not a key its a card

Should be same

Original Poster

20 f-ing mins was on hold before i got through to some-one and they cant send anyone out till tomorrow and it will have to be after 5pm grrrrrrr, do you think I should just turn all heating off and hot water and then I shouldnt go into debt?? Just keep it on enough to heat house up for this evening then stick it off when it gets cosy and keep everything off heating and hot water wise then that should be ok?

I asked if there was call out charges and she said as i still have my card and its not a fault of my own there would be no call out charges - Thank God!!

Card fail 35 is an Issue with you card, engineer may be required to visit to "wind-on" credit, However there will be no charge for this.

Banned

How can you go into debt with a prepay meter?

Original Poster

emergency use - although i have no idea how that works either.....

gonna ask my boss if i can finish early tomorrow as dont want to have to wait about all night.

or could pull a sickie! hmmmmmm now theres an idea!

Original Poster

So finished early and how ridiculous is this.....

For an emergency call-out the gas has to have ran out and be off, (why couldn't the airhead on the phone told me this last night) so I have had to come home from work early and get the heating blazing then call back for a call-out when i have ran out.

Then the next airhead suggested I go to a shop and pick up a blank card, go home and register it in the meter, then go back to the shop and put a pound on, then come home and see if it will credit it too. If not its a faulty meter and I would have to wait till next week to get an engineer out!!

Raging!!!

Mod & Ed

crazyblondechick

So finished early and how ridiculous is this..... For an emergency … So finished early and how ridiculous is this..... For an emergency call-out the gas has to have ran out and be off, (why couldn't the airhead on the phone told me this last night) so I have had to come home from work early and get the heating blazing then call back for a call-out when i have ran out.Then the next airhead suggested I go to a shop and pick up a blank card, go home and register it in the meter, then go back to the shop and put a pound on, then come home and see if it will credit it too. If not its a faulty meter and I would have to wait till next week to get an engineer out!!Raging!!!

but in their terms & conds that you posted above it states that they have to treat it as an emergency situation, try what they suggested with the card, then if it doesn't work, ring them back, ask to speak to a manager and explain that you have a very young child etc, they have to treat you as a priority, tbh I was a customer of theirs for over 4 yrs and their cs was always great, much better than npower and bg. Could you not ask your landlord if he'll let you change to a normal meter and pay quarterly, the prices you pay sjould be much cheaper too

Original Poster

wishihadadonkey

but in their terms & conds that you posted above it states that they have … but in their terms & conds that you posted above it states that they have to treat it as an emergency situation, try what they suggested with the card, then if it doesn't work, ring them back, ask to speak to a manager and explain that you have a very young child etc, they have to treat you as a priority, tbh I was a customer of theirs for over 4 yrs and their cs was always great, much better than npower and bg. Could you not ask your landlord if he'll let you change to a normal meter and pay quarterly, the prices you pay sjould be much cheaper too

Doubt he will, most landlords wont, just safety I guess so they don't get lumbered with bills etc. I would happily have a monthly bill but hey wont happen. its a bit awkward my landlord moved out this house to move in with his partner, who i work with, apart from she is at a different branch. So always a bit weary what I say.

Edited by: "crazyblondechick" 30th Jan 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants