Groups

scottish power - cannot cancel contract???

HI,

We have a problem with Scottish Power.

We have recently acquired a new shop and received a call from Scottish Power giving us a deal. 10.4p a unit sounded like a good deal and the contract being 2 years. The guy on the phone said that the contract can start immediately and we asked to have the contract sent to us by post to review before accepting the contract.

when we received the contract by post, we were surprised to find the contract date starts in December 2016 not August as requested on the phone. We called them back and they said that they will fix it and let us know.

2 weeks later, we still have not heard back from them, we called them up again.
    We gave them the account number we were given by them, they said the account number is closed and no longer exists, however apparently we have another account in our name that we are unaware of. This contract starts in late September 2016. we complained that we have been set these contracts without us actually agreeing to them or any terms, not knowing these contracts exist and the Scottish Power employees saying something but doing something completely different than agreed to.

We asked to cancel the contracts that we have not agreed to and that have not started yet, they say we are not allowed to cancel, when asked to talk to their managers they say that they will not do that.

We have written to their termination department asking to cancel. they called us back today saying that we can't cancel but will give us some credit. but we have also found out that the contract is infact a 3 year which we were lied to as they originally stated over the phone that it is a 2 years.

My question is: is it true that we can't cancel the contract? it sounds illegal. has anyone else been through this with Scottish Power?

Thanks for your help in advance.

15 Comments

Not been through that specific issue with Scottish power but had numerous other issues with them , the level of incompetence from them is unbelievable, hopefully someone can provide you with a solution to get away from them

Original Poster

jimmyandmel

Not been through that specific issue with Scottish power but had numerous … Not been through that specific issue with Scottish power but had numerous other issues with them , the level of incompetence from them is unbelievable, hopefully someone can provide you with a solution to get away from them

Thank you

Original Poster

philphil61

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/domestic-consumers/making-enquiry-or-complainthttps://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/business-consumers/making-enquiry-or-complaint

Hi Thank you for sharing these links, I didn't know this service was available. I will talk to them regarding this, but I found is that we have 14 days to cancel after agreeing to the contract however, we have never agreed to any contracts with them.

So sorry to hear about your dealings with SP they're a bunch of donkey's excretion holes.

Keep at them complain to ofgem don't give in. I have a bill which I'm refusing to pay them since 2010. After gas leaked from the pipe going into my meter due to the engineer leaving soldering flux on the pipe (disintegrated it over time) causing a dangerous leak. Instead of blaming the engineer (who was from the company prior transco) they charged me and showed no concern for my safety. The new engineer who diagnosed the leak went missing & I couldn't prove anything as old pipe was removed.

Sorry I can't help you further. Don't give in.

Scottish Power, the worst ever. Took me months to leave them and then they still kept on taking money. In the end I just cancelled the DD - wish I'd done it sooner. Now with First Utility, much nicer people, good website and much cheaper too. I pay £50pm dual fuel on a 3 bed terrace.

Write directly to their CEO keith.anderson@scottishpower.com.

More useful info here :

telegraph.co.uk/fin…tml
    Edited by: "tallpete33" 10th Sep 2016

Hope you get sorted. I wouldn't touch sp with a barge pole 3 years ago they knocked on my door offered me a great deal I was paying 120 pcm for gas and electricity they said could do the same for 90. After 3 months it shop up to 140 and every month I was building up arrears I asked them to come check the new meters they had fitted but refused saying there was no problems. Some months I tried to double up by paying 300 to pay off the build up but 18 months later I was left owing them 1400 when I moved out of the property. There was no way just me and a toddler had used that amount. ( now with ovo and pay 70 per month and in credit). They chased me for the balance I offered 50 per month they refused. They sent debt letters I offered 10 per month they refused it. Then one of many calls a nice helpful employee asked if I received any benefits? I do as a carer to my 92 year old dementia suffering gran I receive carers allowance. He told me to download an hardship fund and apply. I did this and it stated they would pay off a % and I would have to make an arrangement from the remaining if successful. 1 week later had an email saying it had been successful and I would hear shortly what % they would pay. The following week got another email saying my account had been credited so logged on they had paid off the full £1400 now why would they do this when they stated there was nothing wrong with their meters? (Although I'm very very grateful).

Original Poster

Saro

So sorry to hear about your dealings with SP they're a bunch of donkey's … So sorry to hear about your dealings with SP they're a bunch of donkey's excretion holes. Keep at them complain to ofgem don't give in. I have a bill which I'm refusing to pay them since 2010. After gas leaked from the pipe going into my meter due to the engineer leaving soldering flux on the pipe (disintegrated it over time) causing a dangerous leak. Instead of blaming the engineer (who was from the company prior transco) they charged me and showed no concern for my safety. The new engineer who diagnosed the leak went missing & I couldn't prove anything as old pipe was removed. Sorry I can't help you further. Don't give in.

Thank you, i will do my best to get out of it, hope your issue gets resolved soon too!

Original Poster

tallpete33

Scottish Power, the worst ever. Took me months to leave them and then … Scottish Power, the worst ever. Took me months to leave them and then they still kept on taking money. In the end I just cancelled the DD - wish I'd done it sooner. Now with First Utility, much nicer people, good website and much cheaper too. I pay £50pm dual fuel on a 3 bed terrace. Write directly to their CEO [email protected] More useful info here :http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/energy-bills/11183690/Scottish-Power-how-to-make-customer-services-listen-to-your-complaint.html

Thanks for the email and link, I will email the CEO. Hope he is a little bit more competent than his employees.

Original Poster

kirstie2806

Hope you get sorted. I wouldn't touch sp with a barge pole 3 years ago … Hope you get sorted. I wouldn't touch sp with a barge pole 3 years ago they knocked on my door offered me a great deal I was paying 120 pcm for gas and electricity they said could do the same for 90. After 3 months it shop up to 140 and every month I was building up arrears I asked them to come check the new meters they had fitted but refused saying there was no problems. Some months I tried to double up by paying 300 to pay off the build up but 18 months later I was left owing them 1400 when I moved out of the property. There was no way just me and a toddler had used that amount. ( now with ovo and pay 70 per month and in credit). They chased me for the balance I offered 50 per month they refused. They sent debt letters I offered 10 per month they refused it. Then one of many calls a nice helpful employee asked if I received any benefits? I do as a carer to my 92 year old dementia suffering gran I receive carers allowance. He told me to download an hardship fund and apply. I did this and it stated they would pay off a % and I would have to make an arrangement from the remaining if successful. 1 week later had an email saying it had been successful and I would hear shortly what % they would pay. The following week got another email saying my account had been credited so logged on they had paid off the full £1400 now why would they do this when they stated there was nothing wrong with their meters? (Although I'm very very grateful).

I understand how you feel, I had a similar issue with SSE in my uni days, house 'mates' refused to pay electric and gas and SSE kept threatening me to pay owing way more than I had at the time. They drove me in to depression. I would rather die than be with SSE again, I guess Scottish Power is no better. Glad your issue is now resolved.

I take it as its a shop you were dealing with Scottish power as a business. That is a whole different set of regulations compared to a residential contract. A lot of the advice given will not be applicable to a business contract. One example is the cooling off period does not apply to a business contract.

Banned

Argoj

I take it as its a shop you were dealing with Scottish power as a … I take it as its a shop you were dealing with Scottish power as a business. That is a whole different set of regulations compared to a residential contract.

^^^^^

Precisely this. You are engaging with them on a business contract so you can basically ignore 90% of the advice written above.

Get your contract out & read it.

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

^^^^^Precisely this. You are engaging with them on a business contract so … ^^^^^Precisely this. You are engaging with them on a business contract so you can basically ignore 90% of the advice written above. Get your contract out & read it.

Right, I will have to read the T&C's (can't at the moment, it is in the shop). But we never agreed to the contract to be locked into one in the first place. We asked to have the contract sent to us to be reviewed and have never agreed the contract terms.

So in business utility contracts you can't terminate them? even though the contract is yet to start?

Banned

peanut_butter23

So in business utility contracts you can't terminate them? even though … So in business utility contracts you can't terminate them? even though the contract is yet to start?

You need to get the contract. If they fail to send you a copy (whilst offering them a reasonable sum to cover admin digging it out) then you can do whatever you want. What you probably will find is that there was a contract.

& getting out of business contracts are very hard to do BUT you need that contract to see what you can do. If they fail to supply it after sending them a cheque for £10-£20 & they still fail to supply it then you can do what you want including starting legal proceedings to hammer them in ever way you can.

But business contracts are enforced pretty much fully in court because the courts presume each party knows what they are doing.

Just get the paperwork & go from there. Its all you can do right now.
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 10th Sep 2016

Below is a link to Scottish Power's standardised terms and conditions relating to businesses. Your's will have limited variations which will include such things as start dates, finish dates etc. Depending on the type of adviser you were dealing with there could also be variations in the charges.

As youdontwanttoknow stated court cases relating to business contracts are a sticky wicket for a small business such as yourself. You will have to have clear and concise evidence that the terms you agreed to (or supposedly agreed to) have been breached. It is doubtful that a court would find in your favor in a she said he said case. Is there any chance that your conversation with the power rep was recorded, if so get a copy from them as soon as possible. One of the problems you might face is that the rep you talked to was not employed by Scottish Power other then as a commission paid agent.

But as already advised get a copy of the contract, find out if there is a recording. Good luck you will have a fight but not necessarily a unwinnable one.

scottishpower.co.uk/leg…ns/
    Edited by: "Argoj" 10th Sep 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??56
      2. GAP Insurance Recommendations11
      3. Any discount for paultons park?22
      4. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?56

See more discussions