Scottish Power customers - Compensation Payments forced by OFGEM

SuperEd 32
Found 13th Jun 2016
Justa a heads up, just had an email from Scottish Power.

Basically saying customers experienced poor customer service between April 2014 and 31st March 2016, they've agreed with Ofcom to make a payment of £73.

They stated it'll be credited to my account, i've just rung them and now sending it by cheque instead - Worth a try anyway

Well worth checking / keeping an your emails - Hope this helps some of you.
Community Updates
Misc
32 Comments
Oooh. Let me get on the dog and bone
Only between April 2014 and Match 2016, I think not. We had awful customer service from them back in 2004. Overcharging us 3 times what they should have and it took 12 - 18 months for them to accept it was their mistake. Terrible company.
Original Poster SuperEd
Wyley100

Only between April 2014 and Match 2016, I think not. We had awful … Only between April 2014 and Match 2016, I think not. We had awful customer service from them back in 2004. Overcharging us 3 times what they should have and it took 12 - 18 months for them to accept it was their mistake. Terrible company.

That the dates the email states, unsure if it'll be different for others
goonertillidie

That the dates the email states, unsure if it'll be different for others … That the dates the email states, unsure if it'll be different for others

Just trying to make the point their customer service has never been any good. I'm with Flowenergy now and couldn't be happier with their prices and service.
Edited by: "Wyley100" 13th Jun 2016
also if emailing their customer services email box is closing as of 1/7/16
Original Poster SuperEd
Wyley100

Just trying to make the point their customer service has never been any … Just trying to make the point their customer service has never been any good. I'm with Flowenergy now and couldn't be happier with their prices and service.

​for sure!
Hmmmm, nothing here, but then they have already given me £300 compensation for totally incorrect billing over half of that period and before so perhaps I won't get any more
Ofcom? Don't you mean Ofgem?
Is this for all customers or only if you made a complaint?
13norfolk

Is this for all customers or only if you made a complaint?

Really not very clear
does sound like the problems were when people left
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/04/26/100000-scottishpower-customers-in-line-for-compensation-after-18/
have to say getting an email tell me I had to beg for it if owed less than £5
and than getting the same phone number trying to get hold of me
a quick google telling me it is them trying to bully people into staying was not impressive
Edited by: "Wongy110" 13th Jun 2016
They stopped my Direct Debit for about 18months. I was calling and emailing them constantly and in the end went to Ombudsman and got awarded the 18months of gas used back £1.800 .Should have got 18 months of electric bill back as well but couldn't be bothered to chase that. I think at the time if they screwed your bills up for over 1 year they couldn't charge you the bill.
We had problem's when we changed over to another supplier, insisted we owed over £300, on a prepayment meter, never been in debt before on it, they harassed us with phone calls, we told them the same every time, now passed it onto a debt collection agency, so now got a bad credit rating, ****.
Is everyone getting this or just selected customers
Is this for current clients only, or ones who have switched as well?
(No pun intended on current)
More info here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2016/04/ofgem-orders-scottish-power-to-pay-customers-15m-for-it-failures

The £15 million being given back will go to the following groups of people:

Priority Services Register customers who received their bill six weeks late between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2016.
Warm Homes Discount customers who received their bill six weeks late between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2016.
Customers who made formal complaints about the IT system between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2016.

An Ofgem spokesperson has confirmed Scottish Power will be contacting customers directly to sort out the compensation for the repeated failings.
Official Scottish Power press release on the compensation in general click here

The following categories of customer are eligible for some kind of payout:

1) Customers on the Scottish Power "Warm Homes Discount" scheme (click for info)

2) Customers on the Scottish Power "Priority Services Register" (click for info)

3) "Standard" customers who have submitted a formal complaint to Scottish Power between 1 April 2014 and 31 March 2016 (that relates to the IT problems)

More info at MSE
Edited by: "mobilez" 14th Jun 2016
Presumably you can tell them you had appaling customer service, but that their customer service is so bad they don't have a record of the complaint! They are on to a hiding here
Had a similar letter from npower a few months back.
Ofgem made them give me an extra £120 because it took them more than a year to transfer my gas supply to them a few years ago.
That was on top of the £70 compensation I think they gave me originally for screwing things up and another £40 or £50 for the extra I had been paying my previous supplier in the interim compared to npower's fixed rate.

So for once a quango / regular that does seem to be on the consumers side and bringing the big boys to heel to a certain extent. If only Ofcom would take note. :-(
I have problems with them too. They haven't sent me a bill since August 2015 . I've submitted regular on-line readings and they sent me a statement last month to say I'm £1100 in credit, which is totally wrong .Don't really know what to do next.
ricko

I have problems with them too. They haven't sent me a bill since August … I have problems with them too. They haven't sent me a bill since August 2015 . I've submitted regular on-line readings and they sent me a statement last month to say I'm £1100 in credit, which is totally wrong .Don't really know what to do next.

You need to get in touch with Energy Ombudsman you need to call up Scottish Power and get a complaint number as your need that for Ombudsman form. Keep all emails / messages SP have sent. Takes a while for Ombudsman to sort it.
cheers for that, patti
I have left Scottish Power recently after making 4 registered complaints in 2015 alone and being fed up with failures to resolve the problems. Am I eligible to receive the compensation?
fv535

I have left Scottish Power recently after making 4 registered complaints … I have left Scottish Power recently after making 4 registered complaints in 2015 alone and being fed up with failures to resolve the problems. Am I eligible to receive the compensation?

By my reading of the press release ( scottishpower.com/new…asp ) - you only get compensation if you were affected by the billing problems *AND* where registered with Priority Services Register scheme / SP’s Warm Home Discount scheme.
Awful company, I've been charged over £200 for two months electricity! The property wasn't even connected to the grid during that period due to the flooding.
had a long ongoing complaint with them which is all recorded on resolver. I emailed them and they have said they will send a cheque but it's not arrived yet !
jogu

By my reading of the press release (- you only get compensation if you … By my reading of the press release (- you only get compensation if you were affected by the billing problems *AND* where registered with Priority Services Register scheme / SP’s Warm Home Discount scheme.

That's rubbish as I am not on Warm Home Discount Scheme and got £73 put into my account
Anyone recieved their compensation cheque yet? Mine was apparently automatically generated on 10 June and I was told to allow 20 working days for cheque to arrive....I've not recieved it yet!
wenpit

Anyone recieved their compensation cheque yet? Mine was apparently … Anyone recieved their compensation cheque yet? Mine was apparently automatically generated on 10 June and I was told to allow 20 working days for cheque to arrive....I've not recieved it yet!

youtube.com/wat…qk4
It's been credited to my electricity account beginning of July.
Seriously - has anyone had any joy with the compensation claim - I left Scottish Power over a year ago and they are saying I am not eligible....despite the fact I had problems getting my final refund.
Have you looked into contacting Ombudsman? You need a complaint number so your going to have to call SP and ask for the number or sometimes it's in the messages on SP webpage when you log on. Then go to this page. ombudsman-services.org/ene…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants