Scottish Power Smart Meters

Found 18th Feb
Has anyone had a smart meter fitted from Scottish Power, there seems a lot a of adverts promoting them, but all Scottish Power has on their website is a Interested in a Smart Meter please register your interest.
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
I have one from eon and they said by 2020 everyone will have one.
Don't get one ! At least until they are universal . The current models make it much harder to switch providers and are open to being hacked . If they try to fit one in your property politely tell them to bog off ! They have no "right " to make you accept one . !
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Feb
Honestly can't see the hassle of going to your meter once a month and sending the readings to the supplier. First Utility keep badgering me to get one.
rogparki28 m ago

Don't get one ! At least until they are universal . The current models …Don't get one ! At least until they are universal . The current models make it much harder to switch providers and are open to being hacked . If they try to fit one in your property politely tell them to bog off ! They have no "right " to make you accept one . !

this ^^^^^ i got one fitted takes a couple of hours then switched suppliers,now being offered it by new supplier ,i was like "i already have one" but they say they have to install their own as not compatible .cant believe this was allowed to happen how many millions have been wasted???? if you switch phone or broadband they dont have to put new line in.

wait until the new version is being supplied which is universal apparently
Paddy_o_furniture16 m ago

Honestly can't see the hassle of going to your meter once a month and …Honestly can't see the hassle of going to your meter once a month and sending the readings to the supplier. First Utility keep badgering me to get one.

Each to his own , I save about £200 -£300 a year( about 25%) by comparing and switching every year , sadly its been a new supplier each year to get the best deal . Takes a full minute every month to visit the meter note the readings down and enter on the suppliers webpage . But hey , it only saves a couple of hundred a year , not really worth that minutes effort every month is it ?
rogparki33 m ago

Don't get one ! At least until they are universal . The current models …Don't get one ! At least until they are universal . The current models make it much harder to switch providers and are open to being hacked . If they try to fit one in your property politely tell them to bog off ! They have no "right " to make you accept one . !

Ofgem have made it perfectly clear that having a smart meter fitted must not make it any harder for a customer to switch supplier. As for them being open to hacking, can you supply a source for that tin hattery?
rogparki3 m ago

Each to his own , I save about £200 -£300 a year( about 25%) by comparing …Each to his own , I save about £200 -£300 a year( about 25%) by comparing and switching every year , sadly its been a new supplier each year to get the best deal . Takes a full minute every month to visit the meter note the readings down and enter on the suppliers webpage . But hey , it only saves a couple of hundred a year , not really worth that minutes effort every month is it ?

I can get the same data from my annual usage statement.
craigstephens13 m ago

Ofgem have made it perfectly clear that having a smart meter fitted must …Ofgem have made it perfectly clear that having a smart meter fitted must not make it any harder for a customer to switch supplier. As for them being open to hacking, can you supply a source for that tin hattery?

Just one article amongst many dailymail.co.uk/mon…tml
I have had mines fitted from Scottish power. They contacted me and they use an external company to install them working on there behalf
Paddy_o_furniture13 m ago

I can get the same data from my annual usage statement.

How do you get an "Annual usage " if you don't take any readings ?
rogparki2 m ago

How do you get an "Annual usage " if you don't take any readings ?

If you read my comment, I go to my cupboard where the metres are. Take the readings and submit them to my supplier once a month.
Paddy_o_furniture37 m ago

Honestly can't see the hassle of going to your meter once a month and …Honestly can't see the hassle of going to your meter once a month and sending the readings to the supplier. First Utility keep badgering me to get one.

they still send out meter readers even when you do,tends to be at night where i am and my mrs refuses to let them in when alone with the kids so im all for "SMART METERS" just the companies needed to have been smarter in the 1st place with a universal system in place.
jamstaruk19723 m ago

they still send out meter readers even when you do,tends to be at night …they still send out meter readers even when you do,tends to be at night where i am and my mrs refuses to let them in when alone with the kids so im all for "SMART METERS" just the companies needed to have been smarter in the 1st place with a universal system in place.

I've not had someone come and read my meter all the time I've been at my new gaff, 3 or so years.
rogparki1 h, 20 m ago

The government has set targets to increase the number of smart meters and will soon move to make them mandatory.
cmdr_elito7 h, 49 m ago

The government has set targets to increase the number of smart meters and …The government has set targets to increase the number of smart meters and will soon move to make them mandatory.

I don't see how they'll ever make them mandatory. There are so many homes that for one reason or, another can't have them fitted, that so long as there are people who want them and can't have them fitted, they can't force people who don't want them to have them fitted.
There was a post the other day on a local group for my area about them. Some were saying theirs are just gathering dust because they can’t get a signal on them, different suppliers use different networks. Only yesterday a friend posted saying hers was saying her usage for yesterday was apparently £170 It’s certainly put me off getting one for now anyway. They were going to make them mandatory but scrapped that idea for now from what I recall.
There is no good reason to have a smart meter, they are basically a money making scheme.

The estimated cost of installing them is £11bn and it the consumers who are paying this figure in increased bills (around £420 per household). The industry is hoping to move to a peak charging system where they can increase charges for power at peak times.

There is little evidence that they reduce estimated bills as most people pay a fixed amount monthly/quarterly and once fitted, there is often a number of return engineer visits required, which necessitates taking days of work etc.
OVO keep contacting me to have one installed, but they only fit Monday to Friday.
I'm not booking a day off work to have a meter fitted.
I told them to let me know when they do weekends and I'll think about it.
I'm with ovo, got a smart meter and hub so I can see live readings. If I change supplier, then I can give manual readings from the smart meter if the new supplier and my current smart meter are not compatible.
Smart meter = iffy

scottish power + smart meter = asking for trouble
craigstephens12 h, 57 m ago

I don't see how they'll ever make them mandatory. There are so many homes …I don't see how they'll ever make them mandatory. There are so many homes that for one reason or, another can't have them fitted, that so long as there are people who want them and can't have them fitted, they can't force people who don't want them to have them fitted.

I believe they are going to make water meters compulsory. The government can do what they want really.
You believe?
mutley12 h, 46 m ago

Smart meter = iffyscottish power + smart meter = asking for trouble

Why?
cmdr_elito14 m ago

I believe they are going to make water meters compulsory. The government …I believe they are going to make water meters compulsory. The government can do what they want really.

Their is no law that allows any private company to access your property to fit any kind of meter.

It's sad that people are so gullible.
Soukmadik6 m ago

Their is no law that allows any private company to access your property to …Their is no law that allows any private company to access your property to fit any kind of meter. It's sad that people are so gullible.

Yes they can

telegraph.co.uk/spo…tml
aah gullible,
You can insist that anyone entering you property has PVG membership. And lay out your terms and conditions for private,FOR PROFIT companies entering your property.
mutley113 h, 59 m ago

Yes they …Yes they canhttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/finance/household-savings/11977784/water-meters.html

They can force you to have a water meter, but can't force you to have it on your property. Most are fitted on the pavement outside.
Pandamansays1 h, 22 m ago

They can force you to have a water meter, but can't force you to have it …They can force you to have a water meter, but can't force you to have it on your property. Most are fitted on the pavement outside.

makes little difference where the meter is located. it means you are measured and have to pay for what you have used, which is what cmdr_elito was saying. he was not saying anyone has to come into your property.

we are going at a tangent for this post as the post is about smart meters and we are now talking about water meter
mutley13 h, 43 m ago

makes little difference where the meter is located. it means you are …makes little difference where the meter is located. it means you are measured and have to pay for what you have used, which is what cmdr_elito was saying. he was not saying anyone has to come into your property.we are going at a tangent for this post as the post is about smart meters and we are now talking about water meter

Sorry Mutters, I was referring to when Soukmadik said "There is no law that allows any private company to access your property" and you said "yes they can" and posted a link about water meters. Best not to get confused with water and electric meters though as they don't mix well
It's a bit of a coincidence Scottish Power phoned me yesterday to arrange installation, I asked if it was compatible with every other supplier and they said no, I told them I wasn't interested after reading everyones comments on here.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants