Expired

Scrap car without V5C?

Found 23rd Nov 2014
Is it possible to scrap a car without a V5C form. We've searched everywhere but can't find it. Need to scrap it asap as our car insurance runs out at the end of this month
Community Updates
AskCar
10 Comments
Yes alot of companies do take them or even scrapyards will buy them. i think just a declaration form to sign. some will just take it no questions. ring around and ask

i have used emr metal recycling in the past. just drive the car there and they take care of it. i think u will need id, a coupe of years ago it was simply drive it there and get paid.
Edited by: "kash2013" 23rd Nov 2014
Hi, my issue is before scrapping my car i want to take off the private plate but car has no MOT. What can I do? Lose the private plate rights?
great-deals

Hi, my issue is before scrapping my car i want to take off the private … Hi, my issue is before scrapping my car i want to take off the private plate but car has no MOT. What can I do? Lose the private plate rights?

Call DVLA but the rules do state that the vehicle must be MOT'ed to allow transfer, seems bloody stupid though if you're scrapping.
Argoj

Call DVLA but the rules do state that the vehicle must be MOT'ed to allow … Call DVLA but the rules do state that the vehicle must be MOT'ed to allow transfer, seems bloody stupid though if you're scrapping.

Yes the cost of repair is much higher than the market value of the vehicle so opted to scrap. Plus scrapping gives a little extra money too.
great-deals

Yes the cost of repair is much higher than the market value of the … Yes the cost of repair is much higher than the market value of the vehicle so opted to scrap. Plus scrapping gives a little extra money too.

I couldn't agree with you more but I cannot see a way around it, if it helps have a read of the below link, insert copied from there. The only thing that I can think of is that you would hold a destruction certificate which would negate the need for an MOT. Give them a ring.

How to transfer a registration number
Complete a V317 ‘application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number’. If the number is being transferred to someone else’s vehicle, both registered keepers must complete the application.

You should also include:

the £80 transfer fee (cheque or postal order, payable to DVLA)
the registration certificate or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ for each vehicle
an MOT test certificate (for cars and motorcycles over 3 years old, and heavy goods vehicles over 1 year old) for each vehicle
If the new keeper’s supplement has been stamped by a DVLA local office you’ll need to complete a V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ before you can apply.

gov.uk/per…ber
Edited by: "Argoj" 23rd Nov 2014
Argoj

I couldn't agree with you more but I cannot see a way around it, if it … I couldn't agree with you more but I cannot see a way around it, if it helps have a read of the below link, insert copied from there. The only thing that I can think of is that you would hold a destruction certificate which would negate the need for an MOT. Give them a ring.How to transfer a registration numberComplete a V317 ‘application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number’. If the number is being transferred to someone else’s vehicle, both registered keepers must complete the application.You should also include:the £80 transfer fee (cheque or postal order, payable to DVLA)the registration certificate or the new keeper supplement with a completed V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ for each vehiclean MOT test certificate (for cars and motorcycles over 3 years old, and heavy goods vehicles over 1 year old) for each vehicleIf the new keeper’s supplement has been stamped by a DVLA local office you’ll need to complete a V62 ‘application for a vehicle registration certificate V5C’ before you can apply.https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/transferring-a-registration-number

The pedant in me might argue that they don't specify that the MOT Test Certificate indicates a pass or is even current...
Conditions for retaining a registration number
You can’t retain a registration number starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’ for Northern Ireland registered vehicles.

To retain the registration number, the vehicle must be:

registered with DVLA
available for inspection
of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
Pre-1960 vehicles need a valid MOT to retain a registration number.

The vehicle should also be taxed, unless:

there’s no break between the date the vehicle runs out and the start of the SORN
the vehicle tax has run out in the last 12 months
Original Poster
kash2013

Yes alot of companies do take them or even scrapyards will buy them. i … Yes alot of companies do take them or even scrapyards will buy them. i think just a declaration form to sign. some will just take it no questions. ring around and aski have used emr metal recycling in the past. just drive the car there and they take care of it. i think u will need id, a coupe of years ago it was simply drive it there and get paid.

Thanks Kash2013. I'll have to ring around as need the car picking up as exhaust has fallen off
ckcla

Thanks Kash2013. I'll have to ring around as need the car picking up as … Thanks Kash2013. I'll have to ring around as need the car picking up as exhaust has fallen off

Just drive with the exhaust off
Original Poster
MIDURIX

Just drive with the exhaust off

Don't think I can as the front has come off but the back is ok so can reverse but don't think I can drive forwards!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants