Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Scrap Metal worth

Posted 30th Mar
Tidied my garage yesterday and took out these 20-30 year old gym equipment.

I’m breaking them up into individual prts but wondering if the metal has much worth? I have a skip at the front as we were doing our bathroom 1 week before the outbreak so just chucking them into their if they are worthless.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
It would cost you more in petrol or diesel to get it to the scrappy mate. Copper, alloy, lead have a value the rest ain’t worth the hassle. Not worth it. A local scrap collector might take it away for free save you filling up your skip with bulky items. Gumtree is ideal for this. Just stick the picture up and tell em free to take away.
13 Comments
It would cost you more in petrol or diesel to get it to the scrappy mate. Copper, alloy, lead have a value the rest ain’t worth the hassle. Not worth it. A local scrap collector might take it away for free save you filling up your skip with bulky items. Gumtree is ideal for this. Just stick the picture up and tell em free to take away.
Stick it on Facebook in a local group as used gym equipment , with everyone on lockdown it will be gone in hours
At a guess I'd say ~ £5.
Edited by: "themorgatron" 30th Mar
Personally I would give the equipment away, I'm sure someone out there will make good use of it.
The scrap value wouldn't be worth your time and effort.
Rune_2H30/03/2020 11:30

Comment deleted

Leave it beside the skip...it might stop them digging through the skip searching for more.
I think it is in the order of £50 per ton (1000kg).
Just leave it at the end of your drive. Usually will be gone the same day.
A very quick google sees the average price for light iron scrap around £80 per tonne.

Do you really need rid of right now OP?

If so, pop on top of your skip.

If not, leave where it is and later when theres some form of normality back into daily life, upload the photo to Facebook or Gumtree, free for uplift, it'll be picked up fairly quickly I'd imagine.

Alternatively, take it yourself to your local scrapyard, remember ID and bank details, and get £10-15 to yourself...could even give it to charity..
wait for the ‘any old iron’ van
I remember a few years ago I took 5 old car lead batteries to get weighed in expecting to make a fair bit of cash, the money I received didn't even cover my petrol driving there
Rune_2H30/03/2020 11:30

Comment deleted

That's the safest bet given the age and condition of the equipment.
I'm old school, I just hate chucking stuff away if it can still be of use to someone.
If not, I just recycle everything I possibly can.
PaulandPam30/03/2020 17:25

I remember a few years ago I took 5 old car lead batteries to get weighed …I remember a few years ago I took 5 old car lead batteries to get weighed in expecting to make a fair bit of cash, the money I received didn't even cover my petrol driving there

Should have kept them, would have fetched £30-50 just now
In our area all scrapyards have closed. Got an email from council yesterday saying not to try and dispose of any scrap materials. Civic Amenity sites closed too. Fly tipping will now spring up all over the place.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions