Scratch and Dent Car Insurance (Cosmetic / Minor Damage / SMART Repair Insurance) - is it worth it? What are your experiences with claims? Any recommended insurers? Do you have to inform your main insurer of a claim? Thanks! :)

Found 16th Jul 2016
I've recently bought a used Honda Jazz (2012) from a franchise main dealer. I live on a road - narrow but not super-narrow! - in north London where cars and vans sometimes hit my car and those of my neighbours, causing scrapes, scratches and minor dents.

- I'm considering buying Scratch and Dent Car Insurance (Cosmetic / Minor Damage / SMART Repair Insurance) and would love to know if you've bought similar cover? Is it worth it? If you had to make a claim, was it problem-free?

- Did you have to inform your main car insurer of such a claim? (I thought the whole point of Scratch and Dent Insurance is to avoid making a claim on your main car insurance policy and affect your no claims, premiums etc.)

- Can anyone kindly recommend a good Scratch and Dent Car Insurance company?

Any and all advice and help is greatly appreciated - thanks so much in advance!

(Btw I've also considered GAP insurance but don't feel I need it; i.e. if the car is a write off, the insurance that covers the gap between what your insurance company would pay (market value of car at the time) and the invoice value of the car.)
Community Updates
7 Comments
install CCTV first and ask your insurance.
everything is strict these days
Thanks for your reply but it'd be difficult (and expensive) to install CCTV where I live, plus I'd also like to protect the car when it's away from home. (Am considering a dashcam too.)

Does anyone here have Scratch and Dent Car Insurance? Thanks!
Over The Knee

Thanks for your reply but it'd be difficult (and expensive) to install … Thanks for your reply but it'd be difficult (and expensive) to install CCTV where I live, plus I'd also like to protect the car when it's away from home. (Am considering a dashcam too.)Does anyone here have Scratch and Dent Car Insurance? Thanks!

Firstly you should have bought one of those Citroen Cactus fugly cars with the airbags on the outside and the **** on the inside..ok ok enough of the car jokes lol.

Never even heard of Scratch and dent insurance before so I'm afraid no experience in that sense. As an example although my father has had two small dents with scratches in the past 6 months on either rear quarter panels and taking to a local "we fix and spray just the damage not the whole panel" repairers the cost was £120 & £130. Just something for you to judge if the premium vs how many occurrences have happened to yourself/neighbours if you are better "self insuring"
Dash cam with errr (mind has went blank lol - whatever you call it!) the ones that switch on when vibration/knock felt etc would be worth it also.

Gap is worth the outlay although as normally only around £250 but ensure you get as you suggested RTI - Return to invoice gap). Thankfully never had to use it myself and hopefully you shant either but I really do think it is worth the money. Know my friend recently is now seriously regretting not having it after getting a 2 year old Audi S4 written off by no fault of his own he has lost cira 4-5K on the car.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 16th Jul 2016
cecilmcroberts - thanks so much for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated!

lol about Citroen Cactus cars - yes I know it would've been easier to get a car I wouldn't worry about!

It was actually very useful to hear about your father's recent repair bills. The £250 total cost he paid makes me think that Scratch and Dent insurance might be worth it, provided of course that such repairs are covered. Were the two small dents caused by 'hit and run' unknown persons? Does your Dad have an expensive and/or prestige car? (Please don't answer these questions if you don't have time!)

I'm definitely going to consider a dashcam and perhaps GAP insurance. Sorry to hear about your friend's Audi S4. An all-too-common experience for many of us, unfortunately.

I notice from your avatar that you like Alfa Romeo. Very stylish cars. One of my best friends has driven (old) Alfa Romeos for many years. When he first asked me for car advice many years ago, I said that an Alfa Romeo would probably break down constantly. I was wrong!
Over The Knee

cecilmcroberts - thanks so much for taking the time to reply - very much … cecilmcroberts - thanks so much for taking the time to reply - very much appreciated! :)lol about Citroen Cactus cars - yes I know it would've been easier to get a car I wouldn't worry about!It was actually very useful to hear about your father's recent repair bills. The £250 total cost he paid makes me think that Scratch and Dent insurance might be worth it, provided of course that such repairs are covered. Were the two small dents caused by 'hit and run' unknown persons? Does your Dad have an expensive and/or prestige car? (Please don't answer these questions if you don't have time!)I'm definitely going to consider a dashcam and perhaps GAP insurance. Sorry to hear about your friend's Audi S4. An all-too-common experience for many of us, unfortunately.I notice from your avatar that you like Alfa Romeo. Very stylish cars. One of my best friends has driven (old) Alfa Romeos for many years. When he first asked me for car advice many years ago, I said that an Alfa Romeo would probably break down constantly. I was wrong!

His car was a 2 year old Skoda Fabia Estate (he's had it from new). 1 dent was his own fault - glanced the wing of my great aunts pillar on her driveway. The 2nd one was while parked at a surface site at shopping complex, looked like someone glanced the rear panel reversing and off course drove off. Both times they where small dent and paintwork was well scuffed though. I have since bought him dash cams.

Yeah the Alfa's everyone always said same to me about the breakdowns etc, only ever had 1 fault in 3 cars over 9 years and that was one which Alfa caught on themselves during my 1st service they said it needed a new oil cooler as it was running outside there tolerance levels. Firstly I was amazed they even looked at anything during a 1st service lol, secondly me dealers service was amazing. Off course it happened the Friday before May Day so part couldn't be got until afterwards. They asked me if I really wanted a Fiat 500 curtsy car to drive which I declined because they offered me another Alfa the next day. They gave me a lift home then the next morning delivered me a another brand new Alfa Cloverleaf with 18 mile on the clock and a full tank of fuel, same spec as my own car except the 2016 model. My friends brand new (well 6 months old now) Merc AMG C63 has been back the dealer more times than he cares to mention always good banter when he kept me going if mine hadn't broken down yet.
cecilmcroberts - thanks again for taking the time to reply. I saw a newspaper report in the past 2 weeks which said that Skoda came top in a reliability and satisfaction survey (least number of faults, most reliable etc; Honda were, surprisingly, very much lower.) Your Dad's experiences show that even minor dents and scrapes are not cheap to repair. I'm probably going to buy Scratch and Dent car insurance at some point this week. Thanks so much again for helping me finalise my thoughts! Presumably the dash cams don't always help with other people damaging your Dad's car in supermarket car parks etc though.

Glad to hear about your positive experiences with Alfa Romeos and I'm not surprised about your friend's Merc AMG C63. I've got to say, Alfa Cloverleaf is a great name for a car, expecially for someone from Northern Ireland! (I have very close connections with Northern Ireland (and Ireland too) and used to travel to Belfast a lot for work.) Thanks again for all your help and have a great week!
Over The Knee

cecilmcroberts - thanks again for taking the time to reply. I saw a … cecilmcroberts - thanks again for taking the time to reply. I saw a newspaper report in the past 2 weeks which said that Skoda came top in a reliability and satisfaction survey (least number of faults, most reliable etc; Honda were, surprisingly, very much lower.) Your Dad's experiences show that even minor dents and scrapes are not cheap to repair. I'm probably going to buy Scratch and Dent car insurance at some point this week. Thanks so much again for helping me finalise my thoughts! Presumably the dash cams don't always help with other people damaging your Dad's car in supermarket car parks etc though.Glad to hear about your positive experiences with Alfa Romeos and I'm not surprised about your friend's Merc AMG C63. I've got to say, Alfa Cloverleaf is a great name for a car, expecially for someone from Northern Ireland! (I have very close connections with Northern Ireland (and Ireland too) and used to travel to Belfast a lot for work.) Thanks again for all your help and have a great week!

Yeah the reliability of Skoda, unsure about why they always appear at the top of those surveys as my father has now owned two over 8 years (1 Fabia from new for three years - then he had a Mazda for 3 years then back to a Skoda) His first Fabia had a "rattle" appear after a few weeks which seemed to be coming from behind the dash. They took for car for three days, took out the dash thinking it was something loose behind it to no avail. Handed it back rattle still there, took it back again but this time some guy from Skoda HQ was coming over to take a look, said it was the joint on the bonnet to the car, they replaced that, still rattle! Skoda then shipped over a new bonnet which then solved the issue. But 2 weeks later he gets phone call to say "Sir your new passenger seat has arrived when would you like to book it in" turned out they forgot to tell him they spotted the passenger seat springs where worn (the car was 6 months old and hardly ever anyone in the passenger seat!). Current Fabia Estate, had a rattle! turned out needed new wheel bearings car was 4 months old. He reported a lose in power turned out issue with one of the cylinder springs, fixed then re-occurred few months back. All was fixed under warranty fortunately he is retired now so wasn't too much hassle leaving back and getting another car etc but wouldn't have liked all of this had he been working still. Car only has 13K on it after almost 3 years. Upon saying all of this he still says he would buy again and he got the car during a sales offer when the new revised model was coming at had got the car for just under 10K new. Much like myself he changes every 2/3 years so not really much of an issue with everything under warranty but would I buy one outside of that - not a hope!

Now saying all that the new Alfa they got me while I was awaiting getting mine fixed had this annoying whistle at times and I dare say one of the door seals just wasn't right - air was getting him somewhere causing the whistle. Told them when I delivered back and they said it was going to be one of the salemens company car and would let him know.

Personally most reliable my father or myself have had where Mazda and Alfa. Surprisingly Mazda was quite expensive servicing costs wise and the Alfa one of the cheapest. My 1st service (2 years) was only £155. Fathers Skoda was around £130 1st year then £220 2nd year total of £350 over two years in comparison to my Alfa of £155 in two years. Although my front tyres only lasted 6.5K in the Alfa (Michelin Super Sports 225/40/R18), 16K on the car and into it's third set of tyres lol. Guess always an issue with powerful FWD cars though.

Awaiting now my little new Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio 2.9L V6 :).

Father is thinking off a Fiat 500X as he is getting on in the years easier to get in and out off and they doing some great deals on them new at present I think because of new model coming soon or maybe already out.

My Little baby in Donegal - winner of Alfa Timeless Style B&W photo competition.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8l3LUp7oW1Q/V1mohRr-lbI/AAAAAAAACCg/w29wNM9LMc4kw23T-dppL8_OVsFfUdEpwCCo/s1280/Car%2BBest.jpg

Picture from the advert.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XMKup7QzoRk/V22mTJhmK5I/AAAAAAAACXQ/6iEh6zfZAV8nKodBennD4tQXykRgJ6q8ACCo/s1024/Timeless%2Bstyle.PNG

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 18th Jul 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants