Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Screen burn???

Posted 18th Oct
so with the 20% off eBay last week I bought 2 grade b iPhone 7's with the intention of keeping the best one and returning other. so they're both here, both in brilliant condition, but the screens have different"glow". I've never owned an iPhone before so don't know if one is showing screen burn. I've attached pics of them
3311464-0TqsC.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You bought 2 phones to test with the intention of returning one of them? That is a strange buying method.

Seller now loses shipping costs due to this.
Dannyrobbo18/10/2019 18:52

That’s just the cost of doing business online isn’t it.OP another thing to …That’s just the cost of doing business online isn’t it.OP another thing to judge the condition is go to settings battery and battery health, it’ll tell you it’s current relative capacity. You can also punch the serial numbers into the Apple website to see sale dates etc.

Either way its unfair on the seller. If the buyer bought 2 phones with the intention to return one of them, thats wrong. If they're both pristine condition and perfect, the buyer will still return one. Which is just wrong IMO.

The right thing to do here is to contact the seller and just offer to pay postage both ways to return one of them. Postage isn't free and nobody should lose out on it other than the party set out to time waste.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 18th Oct
21 Comments
Might be a daft question but assume brightness settings are the same?
Omg I can't believe I didn't look at that! The phone that appeared dull is from wjd, a seller that has terrible reviews from hukdealers so I automatically assumed screen burn! Looks like I've got lucky!
You bought 2 phones to test with the intention of returning one of them? That is a strange buying method.

Seller now loses shipping costs due to this.
One has blue light turned off. It's for eye comfort.
The iPhone X is the first one to have an OLED screen, which suffer from burn in sometimes. I had a Samsung S6 which had it terribly at the top bar due to the previous user. Didn't realise the 7 could get screen burn to be honest.
J4GG418/10/2019 18:31

You bought 2 phones to test with the intention of returning one of them? …You bought 2 phones to test with the intention of returning one of them? That is a strange buying method.Seller now loses shipping costs due to this.

Yep due to sellers varying interpretations of phone grading
J4GG418/10/2019 18:31

You bought 2 phones to test with the intention of returning one of them? …You bought 2 phones to test with the intention of returning one of them? That is a strange buying method.Seller now loses shipping costs due to this.

That’s just the cost of doing business online isn’t it.

OP another thing to judge the condition is go to settings battery and battery health, it’ll tell you it’s current relative capacity. You can also punch the serial numbers into the Apple website to see sale dates etc.
AL1S0N18/10/2019 18:38

Yep due to sellers varying interpretations of phone grading

If you bought just one then you'd think the phone was fine though.
I think LCD screens vary in colour slightly, not because they're faulty.

Also screen burn is when a image that has been left on the screen for too long has been burnt into the screen. For example.. On some tv's you may see things like the bbc news logo burnt onto the screen, its usually fairly clear to see.
Screen burn isn't when the entire screens colouring is off colour.

That’s just the cost of doing business online isn’t it.OP another thing to …That’s just the cost of doing business online isn’t it.OP another thing to judge the condition is go to settings battery and battery health, it’ll tell you it’s current relative capacity. You can also punch the serial numbers into the Apple website to see sale dates etc.

Either way its unfair on the seller. If the buyer bought 2 phones with the intention to return one of them, thats wrong. If they're both pristine condition and perfect, the buyer will still return one. Which is just wrong IMO.

The right thing to do here is to contact the seller and just offer to pay postage both ways to return one of them. Postage isn't free and nobody should lose out on it other than the party set out to time waste.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 18th Oct
It just looks like the screens have got different screen brightness or colour balance settings due to Night Shift Mode being on. Did you not want to just factory reset them both and have a look at them then before making this post?
If you bought them from stockmustgo then you got them very cheap, so returning them would be pointless. You’d get more in CeX

Thank u, that's a good idea, I'll do that
J4GG418/10/2019 18:59

Either way its unfair on the seller. If the buyer bought 2 phones with the …Either way its unfair on the seller. If the buyer bought 2 phones with the intention to return one of them, thats wrong. If they're both pristine condition and perfect, the buyer will still return one. Which is just wrong IMO.The right thing to do here is to contact the seller and just offer to pay postage both ways to return one of them. Postage isn't free and nobody should lose out on it other than the party set out to time waste.

agreed but it’s still the cost of doing business online any business has to take this into account otherwise sell on gumtree with cash on collection.

On the one bought from wjd (supposed dodgy seller) the phone is pristine, battery health is 100%!, and IMEI number shows it's not blacklisted, but states colour as silver when it's rose gold
AL1S0N18/10/2019 20:37

On the one bought from wjd (supposed dodgy seller) the phone is pristine, …On the one bought from wjd (supposed dodgy seller) the phone is pristine, battery health is 100%!, and IMEI number shows it's not blacklisted, but states colour as silver when it's rose gold

It's likely that it's had it's outer case and LCD changed, Along with a new battery. They'll most likely not be OEM parts hence why the LCD display appears different etc...
.MUFC.18/10/2019 20:46

It's likely that it's had it's outer case and LCD changed, Along with a …It's likely that it's had it's outer case and LCD changed, Along with a new battery. They'll most likely not be OEM parts hence why the LCD display appears different etc...

Comes with warranty so should be ok??
AL1S0N18/10/2019 20:48

Comes with warranty so should be ok??

Aftermarket LCD's are very hit and miss, Usually not as strong as original hence more likely to break. I've changed loads and about 30% have probably gone faulty. Some cause battery draining issues too etc.. Some features might not work. Apple are notorious for making aftermarket parts not work especially after updating. Certain lcd's cause the home button to stop working ( Yes the original home button is transferred to replacement lcd ) .
AL1S0N18/10/2019 20:37

On the one bought from wjd (supposed dodgy seller) the phone is pristine, …On the one bought from wjd (supposed dodgy seller) the phone is pristine, battery health is 100%!, and IMEI number shows it's not blacklisted, but states colour as silver when it's rose gold

what about the other? I wouldn’t touch that one the replacement parts will have been from the cheapest supplier. Does the engraved serial match the one in settings?
Dannyrobbo18/10/2019 21:30

what about the other? I wouldn’t touch that one the replacement parts w …what about the other? I wouldn’t touch that one the replacement parts will have been from the cheapest supplier. Does the engraved serial match the one in settings?

Dialled *#061# and the imei's match. Tbh didn't try the other as it wasnt as mint condition (and didn't want to go thru set up if returning)
You pretty much don't get screen burn on LCD's you must not know what screen burn is.
Justsuperman18/10/2019 22:12

You pretty much don't get screen burn on LCD's you must not know what …You pretty much don't get screen burn on LCD's you must not know what screen burn is.

No I didn't as I said earlier, other reviews from the seller mentioned it time and time again, so I've been assuming faults that weren't there
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants