Screen specs for watching movies

Found 16th Dec 2017
I would like to understand what is classed as a good screen specification for watching movies on your laptop or tablet. I understand that this is in the screen resolution spec?

I find the screen to be very good for youtube movies on my galaxy note 4 phone and my ipad air tablet, but not great on my lenovo ideapad laptop.

What is the minimum screen spec that I should be looking for when I buy a tablet or laptop if I want to get a screen good enough to watch movies on?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
1920x1080 pixels is what is known as "full HD" and is probably the resolution you should be looking at.

I got a sub £300 lenovo on black friday with that resolution, but many at that price point (and higher) have lower resolutions.
google the specs of your phone and ipad.
You shouldn't have an issue with any modern hardware as even the bare minimum is now 720p. Some cheaper displays have a washed out look though.
provided the screen is IPS then there should not be an issue regardless of resolution
chuffedfox2 h, 16 m ago

1920x1080 pixels is what is known as "full HD" and is probably the …1920x1080 pixels is what is known as "full HD" and is probably the resolution you should be looking at.I got a sub £300 lenovo on black friday with that resolution, but many at that price point (and higher) have lower resolutions.

thanks. explains why the movies don't look great on my laptop, which is only 1366 x 768
whereas on the phone 2560 x 1440
and the ipad air 2048 x 1536

does this indicate that the screen is actually better on my phone than on my ipad air?
mutley12 m ago

thanks. explains why the movies don't look great on my laptop, which is …thanks. explains why the movies don't look great on my laptop, which is only 1366 x 768whereas on the phone 2560 x 1440and the ipad air 2048 x 1536does this indicate that the screen is actually better on my phone than on my ipad air?

Not necessarily, just a different size.

Screen quality is about more than pixels, and can rely heavily on the technology used, contrast ratio and so on - it's just a good starting point
It's not the resolution. Your laptop is still about 2.5x the resolution of a DVD so you'd have to be complaining about picture quality better than the best DVD you've ever seen for resolution to be the cause of the trouble.

Generally the big issue with lower end screens is contrast.

The measured contrast ratio is part of it, but that's the best possible performance in a darkened room. In real life light reflected off the screen affects contrast so the reflectivity and maximum brightness of the screen are also factors.

As is what's known as the colour gamut, which is how strong a colour the screen can produce. There is a standard (sRGB/Rec. 709) cheaper laptop screens fall quite a long way short of it, which also reduces contrast in colours.

So generally you want 95-100% sRGB colour gamut, around 1000:1 contrast (or more if available) and as much brightness as possible. Your phone and tablet are are around 350-450cd/m².
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants