SCS add ons... are they worth it??

Found 25th Sep 2017
I’ve just bought a new sofa today, I wasn’t my usual savvy self because I got a text with some bad news in the middle of it and I was a bit grumpy after! Got home and looked at my receipt, I’ve got the 5 year fabric guard cover for £160, which the woman explained because we got that we’d get a free fabric care kit. But on my receipt I’ve now been charged £50 for the care kit. I don’t want it, especially not for that price.

Also, the cost of the fabric guard was never discussed (again, my fault because my mind was suddenly elsewhere!).

Suddenly an £869 sofa is £1138! (On finance)

Are these add ons worth it? Or should I use my cooling off period to cancel them?

2799095-vHRgv.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Depends on how likely your sofa is to get messed up. It's just an insurance policy at the end of the day.

Just checking the bottom of the form 17/3/87, you have a time machine ?
I'd cancel it all.

The add ons are very expensive and not worth what they are charging you.

Also - £59 for delivery!!!! I never pay for delivery for large items from stores - they will always throw it in for nothing if you threaten to walk away.

Go back when you are in a better mood and able to haggle for a better deal.
Original Poster
kester7657 m ago

Depends on how likely your sofa is to get messed up. It's just an …Depends on how likely your sofa is to get messed up. It's just an insurance policy at the end of the day.Just checking the bottom of the form 17/3/87, you have a time machine ?

Haha! that’s my date of birth I’m just wondering if my home insurance would cover most of it! I’m annoyed that she said the care kit we’d get BECAUSE we got the insurance on it. But in actuality gave we were charged. My bad!
Original Poster
Van197345 m ago

I'd cancel it all. The add ons are very expensive and not worth what …I'd cancel it all. The add ons are very expensive and not worth what they are charging you. Also - £59 for delivery!!!! I never pay for delivery for large items from stores - they will always throw it in for nothing if you threaten to walk away.Go back when you are in a better mood and able to haggle for a better deal.

Again, the delivery charge wasn’t even discussed. Something I wouldn’t normally do. Just when I looked at the total at home i thought... hang on! Have you really managed to get free delivery in the past for things like this? Don’t know where o stand. Whether the cooling off period applies to individual add ons and on finance. Grr. I’m a fanny!
Nat_urally13 m ago

Again, the delivery charge wasn’t even discussed. Something I wouldn’t nor …Again, the delivery charge wasn’t even discussed. Something I wouldn’t normally do. Just when I looked at the total at home i thought... hang on! Have you really managed to get free delivery in the past for things like this? Don’t know where o stand. Whether the cooling off period applies to individual add ons and on finance. Grr. I’m a fanny!

Yes - I will not pay delivery for furniture items purchased in a store - purchasing online is of course different.

I've avoided charges for beds, couch sets and carpets before. After agreeing to buy something that is when they normally introduce the delivery charge - just say then that you're not going to pay for delivery. They initially will suggest there is nothing they can do about it so at that point just start to walk away! You'll find that they'll then suggest they'll have a chat with the manager to see what they can do - then they'll offer you a reduced charge but again say you'll not pay anything. They've always conceded with me in the past!

I don't know anything about cooling off periods so can't comment on that!
Original Poster
Van19734 m ago

Yes - I will not pay delivery for furniture items purchased in a store - …Yes - I will not pay delivery for furniture items purchased in a store - purchasing online is of course different. I've avoided charges for beds, couch sets and carpets before. After agreeing to buy something that is when they normally introduce the delivery charge - just say then that you're not going to pay for delivery. They initially will suggest there is nothing they can do about it so at that point just start to walk away! You'll find that they'll then suggest they'll have a chat with the manager to see what they can do - then they'll offer you a reduced charge but again say you'll not pay anything. They've always conceded with me in the past! I don't know anything about cooling off periods so can't comment on that!

Wanna come to sofa shop with me tomorrow? Haha! I’m annoyed it wasn’t even mentioned, we’d been shopping for a lot of sofas in different stores and many of them were advertising free delivery so I don’t think it crossed our minds. When I get a chance tomorrow I’m going to call and see what I can do I think. Or at the very least complain these things weren’t mentioned (I’d usually ask, but surely they should mention it at least!) thanks for your help
Nat_urally15 m ago

Wanna come to sofa shop with me tomorrow? Haha! I’m annoyed it wasn’t even …Wanna come to sofa shop with me tomorrow? Haha! I’m annoyed it wasn’t even mentioned, we’d been shopping for a lot of sofas in different stores and many of them were advertising free delivery so I don’t think it crossed our minds. When I get a chance tomorrow I’m going to call and see what I can do I think. Or at the very least complain these things weren’t mentioned (I’d usually ask, but surely they should mention it at least!) thanks for your help

Check your rights under the cooling off period. If you can cancel say you want to as it is just too expensive - you were only expecting to pay £870 and see what they say - they will not want to lose the sale totally. If they don't offer you anything then cancel - you can always go back in next week and order it again if you really want it (saying you're borrowing money from family). Good luck!
I’ve spent £7800. They charged me £890 something for warranty for 5 years and £100 something for Delivery of sofa set( 3-3-2-1-1 piece) and a table
If it was me I would be really annoyed. I would ring them up asap and say you've noticed they've added alsorts on that wasn't known about and you don't want it at that price. Say you never would have agreed to have those extra addons or pay for delivery if you'd have realised. I'm pretty sure they will take them off for you if you say it wasn't discussed. They have to discuss and tell you prices before they add stuff on. Good luck. Ring them asap. Don't be scared to confront them on this. If they can tell your not sure they'll probs fob u off.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants