Expired

SDD Conversion for HP ProLiant Microserver G7 N54L

Found 25th Sep 2013
Could someone tell if this will work to fix 2.5'' SSD in HP ProLiant Microserver G7 N54L? Also what cables might be needed? Thanks in advance!

amazon.co.uk/Dyn…HKO
Community Updates
11 Comments
Why and where do you want to fit an ssd to your microserver? I have a samsung 830 64gb simply taped down in the area meant for the optical drive that I use for OS. My n40l (identical but lowered clocked cpu) also has a hacked bios to allow full speed on all 6 sata ports. Some more information would be required about what you are trying to achieve to answer your question. But to fit a ssd properly you just need a 2.5" to 3.5" brackets.
Original Poster
enigmatik33

Why and where do you want to fit an ssd to your microserver? I have a … Why and where do you want to fit an ssd to your microserver? I have a samsung 830 64gb simply taped down in the area meant for the optical drive that I use for OS. My n40l (identical but lowered clocked cpu) also has a hacked bios to allow full speed on all 6 sata ports. Some more information would be required about what you are trying to achieve to answer your question. But to fit a ssd properly you just need a 2.5" to 3.5" brackets.

Hi, Thanks for your reply! I want to install OS on SSD and was thinking of getting this bracket to put the SSD in same slot where the original 250GB 3.5'' disk is fitted. BTW I have already purchased Samsung DVD Drive SATA Retail Half Height. I will also need to hack into BIOS to allow full speed.
Link for the DVD drive I have purchased.
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/…dll?ViewItem&item=310745362002&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160
I would suggest fitting the ssd under the optical drive and leave the 4 hard drives free for storage drives. The bios hack allows you to hotswap the drives as opposed to standard cold swap. I have my ssd on port 5 as the OS boot and 2 WD 3TB Reds in 2 of the caddies as a raid 1 setup. I aim to fit another couple ASAP as first 2 are full. I run WHS 2011 with lights on to reduce running costs.
Original Poster
enigmatik33

I would suggest fitting the ssd under the optical drive and leave the 4 … I would suggest fitting the ssd under the optical drive and leave the 4 hard drives free for storage drives. The bios hack allows you to hotswap the drives as opposed to standard cold swap. I have my ssd on port 5 as the OS boot and 2 WD 3TB Reds in 2 of the caddies as a raid 1 setup. I aim to fit another couple ASAP as first 2 are full. I run WHS 2011 with lights on to reduce running costs.

These are great suggestions. I was also thinking of Raid 1 setup. Will look up 'bios hack'. I've also ordered SATA Power Adapter Cable to obtain power from a Molex power connector and 1 SATA Data Cable. I was looking online and seems these will be needed for SSD connection? Are some cables needed for DVD drive also? Could you please comment on these as well? Thanks again!
Hi, I think there was a spare sata power cable for the optical drive and I used this for the ssd. I also needed to rummage through by pile of spares for a long sata cable as I wanted to thread the cable from the ports at the front, up round the back of the chassis to a) keep it out the road for swapping storage drives b) to keep the air flow at the front clean and in obstructed.

I haven't installed an optical drive as I installed the OS from a flash drive. I also dismantled the front door while I was building and fitted a single ply from a sheet of kitchen paper to act as a dust filter.

The bios hack is worthwhile for added functionality, including a hibernate option, as opposed to plain sleep. I also bought the optional kvm card to allow remote access to power cycle the server etc. I also run plex server on the whs 2011 so I can stream movies etc to my phone etc.

I would also suggest a gigabit switch to connect pc and server and any media boxes if your router isn't so equipped. I went with a trendnet green switch for around 12 pounds.
Original Poster
enigmatik33

Hi, I think there was a spare sata power cable for the optical drive and … Hi, I think there was a spare sata power cable for the optical drive and I used this for the ssd. I also needed to rummage through by pile of spares for a long sata cable as I wanted to thread the cable from the ports at the front, up round the back of the chassis to a) keep it out the road for swapping storage drives b) to keep the air flow at the front clean and in obstructed. I haven't installed an optical drive as I installed the OS from a flash drive. I also dismantled the front door while I was building and fitted a single ply from a sheet of kitchen paper to act as a dust filter. The bios hack is worthwhile for added functionality, including a hibernate option, as opposed to plain sleep. I also bought the optional kvm card to allow remote access to power cycle the server etc. I also run plex server on the whs 2011 so I can stream movies etc to my phone etc. I would also suggest a gigabit switch to connect pc and server and any media boxes if your router isn't so equipped. I went with a trendnet green switch for around 12 pounds.

Thanks for the excellent tips. Indeed online forums / youtube videos also point to a power cable for optical drive which people use for SSD. Since I am going to use both DVD drive and SSD, perhaps a power splitter might be needed. Hope its safe and doesn’t compromise on performance. Need to investigate this.

Putting a single ply sheet of kitchen paper to act as dust filter is quite innovative! And perhaps very useful tip as dust = heat and heat = early death of electronics.

I know KVM but how that allows remote access to power cycle, I need to figure it out. I already have a gigabit switch, how to use it is something I also need to figure out.

BTW DVD drive was optional but I thought it will be good solid old school backup option.

This whole exercise is quite learning experience and you might have noticed, I am no server wizkid. Thanks for all your very helpful advices, much appreciated!
It took me a while too, to get it all running as I wanted. The kvm card is an optional extra, around 60 pounds I think.

Don't use a power splitter, there should be another power cable for the esata port on the rear. The Psu is small so don't try to draw too much from one plug.

If pc is hard wired to router, run one cable from router to switch then cables from switch to pc and server.
Original Poster
enigmatik33

It took me a while too, to get it all running as I wanted. The kvm card … It took me a while too, to get it all running as I wanted. The kvm card is an optional extra, around 60 pounds I think. Don't use a power splitter, there should be another power cable for the esata port on the rear. The Psu is small so don't try to draw too much from one plug. If pc is hard wired to router, run one cable from router to switch then cables from switch to pc and server.

Ah! there is another power cable for the eSata!? I could use that. In fact I was wondering what use I could put the eSata port to, seems I can use its power supply at least I hope its power supply cable is long enough to reach to top where the SSD will be. BTW I was guessing, this SSD being very very low on power and perhaps so is this Samsung DVD writer, even if these two share the power source, it might not be any issue. I might be wrong, just guessing..
As of now, I am struggling with finding and ordering right cables, SSDs, HDD, may be MSDN OS ( :P )..perhaps WHS as you suggested ..get all these lined up and start the the big-bang and followed by configs and tweaks. Its tedious journey but hopefully will be well worth in the end!
I simply used the port for the esata drive to route a cable inside incase I fit a 5th hard drive. I used whs as it was cheap and easy to set up to share with the pcs I already had. A lot of the other guys and girls use Linux variations. I like the WD Red drives as the are designed for NAS use but are about 20I pounds more expensive than other 3tb drives
I love HP Microserver I have 2 they are excellent value for the money with cash back.
They are highly configurable. I use WHS 2011 but alas it is no more. Most people are now using server 2012 essentials but it is very expensive. I also use service data server. It works great. I do not like Plex it is very convoluted and buggy. SERVIIO is simple to setup and use. Also consider mini - itx I have 2. Look at the fractal case it holds 6 hdd. I have an eight port raid card with 6 X 3 tb drives and you can mount an ssd on the side. Works great. Oh and it is all a raid 5 also.
Original Poster
Hi Normskii, you seem really into the techy side of OS / variants. I barely managed to get round to installing my Win7, RAM upgrade to 4 gig, HD video / sound HDMI card and DVD player. Western Digital Black HDD also seems to have made things faster / smoother. Connecting the microserver to proper HD TV + music system, makes it a great all rounder - PC/multimedia/browsing/streaming device.

Someone mentioned not being able to make their soundcard work with server 2012. I have it on my list to try, perhaps with next upgrade of HP microserver+cashback, which will be round soon.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants