Expired

Seagull Culling?

Found 27th Jul 2015
What is everyone's opinion on this,

Its recently become a major news item, how Seagulls are now a major nuisance, unafraid of humans and willing to attack and steal from people, they are over populated.

I live in Pembrokeshire and can honestly say they have never been an issue, except for bin day and then if you cover your bags you are OK.. but after a recent trip to Devon they were unbelievable, swooping down and stealing food from the table outside restaurants and cafe's, pooping everywhere and on everyone.. never known anything like it, they pretty much ruined every meal we had out, in the heat had to resort to making sure we could eat inside.
Community Updates
Misc
81 Comments
People should not feed them so they feed out at sea on fish!
Like most wild animals take away their food source and encroach on their breeding sites/habitat and provide them with an alternative food source and people will begin to complain.

et al foxes, bears (in USA), tigers (in Asia)

Should there be a cull on animals or a cull (or more humane restriction in population growth) humans with extra education about food wastage, waste disposal etc etc?

Who are the villains? the seaguls or mankind
Edited by: "philphil61" 27th Jul 2015
mousey

People should not feed them so they feed out at sea on fish!

As per my comment - it's not just a case of some feeding wild animals. They find food waste that we leave/throw away (which ends up in landfill)
The real problem here might well be the fact that the British public have a major litter problem, that's what attracts them in the first place.

We need to expand the numbers eagles/hawks.
Click the piccy.
https://earthwisepricilla.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/eagle-gull-sm1.jpg

https://home.bt.com/images/eagle-and-seagulls-mid-air-battle-136399285247703901-150717114855.jpg
http://i3.irishmirror.ie/incoming/article3914322.ece/ALTERNATES/s1023/PAY-Seagull-eats-a-rabbit.jpg
http://www.ktuu.com/image/view/-/33984168/medRes/1/-/maxh/360/maxw/640/-/tj287q/-/eagle-and-seagull-two---Copy-jpg.jpg
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03384/seagull-bird-3_3384714b.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d2wNRTSGJto/T56rr0zlODI/AAAAAAAAH3I/P8DeRu-j6rk/s1600/Mother%2Bduck%2Bfights%2Bseagull%2Bdefend%2Bchick%2B2.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HZ6GP7U6aBw/T56sC_49FoI/AAAAAAAAH34/BOtJTZS0GEE/s1600/Mother%2Bduck%2Bfights%2Bseagull%2Bdefend%2Bchick%2B6.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-c_lEyKF3N30/T56rsXqO5pI/AAAAAAAAH3g/Xa-I4qt5vxA/s1600/Mother%2Bduck%2Bfights%2Bseagull%2Bdefend%2Bchick%2B4.jpg

Edited by: "tryn2help" 27th Jul 2015
I have mixed feelings about them. As I have said on another thread, they have attacked me more than once, they have attacked my cat too. They cause me trouble on a daily basis, keeping me awake at night, stealing, scrapping, pooping everywhere.

Have tried many methods to scare them away, none of which have worked. They have just been expensive and have been broken by the birds. The only thing that helped a little was removing their source of water, but I can't stop it from raining, in which case my efforts are futile.

I can assure you, no one is feeding them. They are not far from their natural habitat, but would prefer to live in urban areas. Possibly because there are no predators for them.

They're as big as small dogs and can live 30 years. It's not like they are going to disappear any time soon.

I don't like harming any animal, I don't wish them harm and I like seeing them about (at a distance). But given their numbers, I do wonder if they should have some of the eggs removed from their nests, have their nests destroyed or moved. This already legal for professionals, if they are putting pubic health and safety at risk. But isn't being done, partly because of cost and partly because it is difficult to identify rare and more common species of gull when they are young.

Either that or I hope more of them take after this one and eat their own young:

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/secondary/seagull-starling-321520.jpg
tryn2help

You beat me too it

I don't believe that litter is the problem per-say. I think it's more that there are no predators for them inland, so they can thrive. Where I live is pretty clean, but we are plagued with gulls.
moneysavingkitten

I have mixed feelings about them. As I have said on another thread, they … I have mixed feelings about them. As I have said on another thread, they have attacked me more than once, they have attacked my cat too. They cause me trouble on a daily basis, keeping me awake at night, stealing, scrapping, pooping everywhere.Have tried many methods to scare them away, none of which have worked. They have just been expensive and have been broken by the birds. The only thing that helped a little was removing their source of water, but I can't stop it from raining, in which case my efforts are futile.I can assure you, no one is feeding them. They are not far from their natural habitat, but would prefer to live in urban areas. Possibly because there are no predators for them.They're as big as small dogs and can live 30 years. It's not like they are going to disappear any time soon.I don't like harming any animal, I don't wish them harm and I like seeing them about (at a distance). But given their numbers, I do wonder if they should have some of the eggs removed from their nests, have their nests destroyed or moved. This already legal for professionals, if they are putting pubic health and safety at risk. But isn't being done, partly because of cost and partly because it is difficult to identify rare and more common species of gull when they are young. Either that or I hope more of them take after this one and eat their own young:

Think that's actually a Starling getting eaten by a gull.

As for getting rid of them, I've noticed imitation hawks/owls being positioned inside stands at football stadiums; don't know if it works or where you would get one from, but maybe worth a try.
tryn2help

Think that's actually a Starling getting eaten by a gull.As for getting … Think that's actually a Starling getting eaten by a gull.As for getting rid of them, I've noticed imitation hawks/owls being positioned inside stands at football stadiums; don't know if it works or where you would get one from, but maybe worth a try.

You're right about the bird being eaten I misread that.

I can assure you that plastic owls do not help. They're not stupid. The gulls here took great pleasure in beating the plastic bird up and knocking it down. They did the same to a spinning bird scarer too.
Edited by: "MSK." 27th Jul 2015
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/27/872927.jpg
moneysavingkitten

You're right about the bird being eaten I misread that.I can assure … You're right about the bird being eaten I misread that.I can assure you that plastic owls do not help. They're not stupid. The gulls here took great pleasure in beating the plastic bird up and knocking it down. They did the same to a spinning bird scarer too.

No doubt about it, MSK, you're going to have to take up falconry. X)
tryn2help

No doubt about it, MSK, you're going to have to take up falconry. X)

We did have Buzzard for a while, but it only went after pigeons (a rare sight these days). It's buzzed off now Too much competition?
moneysavingkitten

We did have Buzzard for a while, but it only went after pigeons (a rare … We did have Buzzard for a while, but it only went after pigeons (a rare sight these days). It's buzzed off now Too much competition?

Buzzards won't hang around on their lonesomes, they always pair up and then find a territory.
You'd be better with a Redtail hawk or similar (Perigrine like a bit of gull)
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iaA_YP1Tx18/hqdefault.jpg

Even better if you could get one of these in a tub at bottom of garden X)
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/attack-great-white-shark-attacking-sea-gull-31595156.jpg
tryn2help

Buzzards won't hang around on their lonesomes, they always pair up and … Buzzards won't hang around on their lonesomes, they always pair up and then find a territory. You'd be better with a Redtail hawk or similar (Perigrine like a bit of gull)Even better if you could get one of these in a tub at bottom of garden X)

Remind me to get a p*** sack to go with it

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/duncangt4/kes.jpg
I was in Newquay last week.
What a pain in the **** they are down there. Worse than gangs of teenagers.
I can't remember whether it's a day or a week down there that they can kill them.
The lads I was talking to said they bait hooks and throw them into the air. When the gulls take the bait, drag them to the ground and do a bit of neck cracking.
They have been shooting and painting the eggs so they don't hatch for years in our city. Most people hate them here.
http://i61.tinypic.com/o78yue.jpg

Have you seen the size of some of them?
maybe they should just have a cull of humans who attack and steal from people
tryn2help

The real problem here might well be the fact that the British public have … The real problem here might well be the fact that the British public have a major litter problem, that's what attracts them in the first place.We need to expand the numbers eagles/hawks.Click the piccy.

Introducing a predator isn't always the best idea.
Just look at the old woman who swallowed a fly - it didn't turn out too well for her.
I definately agree that they should be culled!
I live in a coastal village & where we live is inundated with the flying nuisance.
1 local dog walker has been attacked by them on 3 separate occasions now, the last time causing him a 3 stitch wound to his head!!
They are noisy, crap everywhere, they pull rubbish from bins & bags & prevent other birds from doing better!
As far as i'm concerned they could be totally wiped our, can't really see what difference it would make!!
shooting parties for the rich that'll rake in the money to pay off the national debt!!
deleted265520
Almost ruined my recent trip to Saint Ives.
Put up and shut up I say, they are here because we raped the seas, got herring gulls round here, you wont find any at sea following the herring boats anymore because they dont get any fish out of them, small fish dont come to the surface no more because of the engines of ships and modern fishing methods are not only sweeping the sea clean but offer meager morsels.

They are here in west london because they hag round the rubbish dump and the large factories that do things like chuck a entire batch of sausage rolls in the bins for being over cooked, the gulls are just trying to survive.
I never seen any bad seagulls. From what I have seen people litter on beaches, picnic areas, just everywhere and those seagulls are always eating at them. Every creature serves a purpose so they shouldn't be culled. They aren't attacking because they enjoy it, they are just doing what they do to survive like everything else including us. People should just keep their distance from them and keep their food out of sight to make them find it elsewhere. They aren't after us, they just want food.
ARRRGGHHH SEAGULLS!! They are the worst. The only good thing they do is maul all the pigeons, so there are a lot less of those about. Otherwise they are just a nightmare. Where I work they nest on the roof, and if you leave the windows open they will come inside and poo everywhere. They wake you up in the morning, they shred all the bin bags that people leave food in so there is rubbish everywhere, they steal, they fight, they squawk, they poo relentlessly. There are so, so very many of them.

Curse you seagulls!!

However, I would prefer some sort of, seagull repellent over killing squad - seems a bit mad just to off them.
I assume they attack people for being close to nests so wouldnt it be prudent to do something about all the man made cliff ledges, thats really what the nooks and crannies in buildings are, put netting over the gaps, spikes etc.

we do that here with pigeons nesting spots. I miss starlings dont see thrm anymore its all magpies now round here, sparrows are rare too. I remember when people moaned about the massive flocks of both and they started culling, now people say where are all the sparrows and starlings gone
Why don't we start eating them. I've heard the argument they taste foul, but it must be the same for feral pigeon that many unknowingly eat.
The clue is in the name SEA-GULL people should not feed them but they do. I reported one of our neigbours who were feeding them twice a day, by chucking scraps over their hedge. The council were spot on, and visited them - they stopped. We would have swarms of them twice a day, bird **** everywhere and in between they would hang around waiting.
thery are evil. as per my thread i created week or two back
Switch the fox hunters to hunting seagulls instead.
Was in Brighton last week, they are huge , although they did keep their distance, just amazed how big they are
splatsplatsplat

The clue is in the name SEA-GULL people should not feed them but they do. … The clue is in the name SEA-GULL people should not feed them but they do. I reported one of our neigbours who were feeding them twice a day, by chucking scraps over their hedge. The council were spot on, and visited them - they stopped. We would have swarms of them twice a day, bird **** everywhere and in between they would hang around waiting.

I live near the coast and until recently, some idiot in a neighbouring street to ours was feeding them, fortunately they were just far away enough so that the swam of **** hawks they attracted wasn't circling directly overhead, still increased them visiting our garden though, and the incidents of them going for the rubbish sacks.

Edited by: "melted" 27th Jul 2015
Error440

I assume they attack people for being close to nests so wouldnt it be … I assume they attack people for being close to nests so wouldnt it be prudent to do something about all the man made cliff ledges, thats really what the nooks and crannies in buildings are, put netting over the gaps, spikes etc.we do that here with pigeons nesting spots. I miss starlings dont see thrm anymore its all magpies now round here, sparrows are rare too. I remember when people moaned about the massive flocks of both and they started culling, now people say where are all the sparrows and starlings gone

The Magpies kill the young sparrows and starlings, Error.
We live in the hills and are privileged to be in a natural environment, but sometimes nature is horrific - I used to see nature in a sort of 'Disney' way, but the reality sometimes seems more like a flippin war out there.
deleted57959

Your name now makes a lot of sense

X) Brilliant! X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants