Groups

Sealing a patio.

Just completed new patio. I am wanting to seal it with either Thompsons or Wicked patio sealer to give it the wet look. We are not going to get any use out if until easter time next year. Would it be a waste to seal it now? Thinking when it comes around to spring it will need pressure washing to clean it up, would it take off the patio seal or would that remain on the slabs?
    Thanks.

7 Comments

with our weather you get the wet look for free most of the year

Depends on what sort of patio you have. Some products will get salt staining, you need to wait about six months for it to die down. Natural products like slate will be fine. As to sealing straight away, I would say yes as it will certainly help to stop the staining from mould etc. The more expensive sealers will last longer than the cheaper water based ones, but all need refreshing eventually and obviously if you pressure wash the patio, try to do it lightly.

Original Poster

marky mark

Depends on what sort of patio you have. Some products will get salt … Depends on what sort of patio you have. Some products will get salt staining, you need to wait about six months for it to die down. Natural products like slate will be fine. As to sealing straight away, I would say yes as it will certainly help to stop the staining from mould etc. The more expensive sealers will last longer than the cheaper water based ones, but all need refreshing eventually and obviously if you pressure wash the patio, try to do it lightly.

Cheers for that, it is the black limestone, its a bit chalky at the moment but getting better daily. Looks fantastic when wet.

kramvic

Cheers for that, it is the black limestone, its a bit chalky at the … Cheers for that, it is the black limestone, its a bit chalky at the moment but getting better daily. Looks fantastic when wet.

No problem, the more coats you give it the better it will look, obviously allowing time to dry properly between coats

Ive sealed mine today!
    I had Raj Green stone laid over the weekend and was a little disappointed how it looked (was all chalky, when i put the hosepipe over it it looked fantastic with the wet look).
    So i bought some Thompsons patio seal "wet look" - ive hand painted/brushed it on as it wasnt a very large area and it now looks great. I will be giving it a second coat tomorrow to give it that glossy finish.
    Edited by: "nick1981" 3rd Oct 2016

Used to do mine every year or so with thompsons but didn't take long before it faded back. Just a waste of time and money if you ask me.

Original Poster

nick1981

Ive sealed mine today! I had Raj Green stone laid over the weekend and … Ive sealed mine today! I had Raj Green stone laid over the weekend and was a little disappointed how it looked (was all chalky, when i put the hosepipe over it it looked fantastic with the wet look).So i bought some Thompsons patio seal "wet look" - ive hand painted/brushed it on as it wasnt a very large area and it now looks great. I will be giving it a second coat tomorrow to give it that glossy finish.

Nice 1, ours is a big area approx 45 sqm so will need plenty, like I said ours looks great when wet but very dusty, but think that's with the cutting etc.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does anyone have a spare code from the inside of a Kellogg's cereal box for…22
      2. Has anyone bought a pair of shoes from Schuh ?11
      3. McGregor vs Mayweather33
      4. HUKD new UI66

See more discussions