Sean Murray and Hello Games - time for forgiveness?

Found 26th JulEdited by:"BuzzDuraband"
I don't have to remind anybody about the backlash that Hello Games, and more notably Sean Murray received for No Man's Sky when it was released back in 2016. I mean it was absolutely everywhere, most possibly the worst game release of our time.

My first base (and I'm really proud)

2996445.jpg

Sean Murray even claimed No Man's Sky was a mistake in an email sent to Kokatu and Engadget.

"No Man's Sky was a mistake.

I have contacted you because the silence from Hello Games has been unwarranted and unprofessional. The community has asked me to speak up, and I have a confession to make. The game was simply unfinished upon arrival. Our hand was forced by not only Sony, but the community as well. The constant harassment and absolute gross misconduct on the community's part has made it hard to fulfill our artistic vision, while the pressure from Sony to release the game as soon as possible forced us to cut key features. I want to apologize for what we did not deliver on, as the game does not meet up to what our artistic vision was.

However, we do wish that the community was more understanding of our situation. Many people have asked for refunds despite our promise to continually improve and update No Man's Sky. We are just a small studio that has poured our blood, sweat, and tears into this project. The complete lack of respect when it comes to the work we have done absolutely saddens not only myself, but the team as well. We want to improve the game to the point we dreamed of it being and beyond.

I hope everyone affected understands,

Sean Murray"

False advertising was a major issue, in short Murray let his tongue run a million miles in front of his brain knowing that the product being released was nothing like the image he had in his head, he not only did it once - but seemingly every time a camera or microphone was put in front of him. But why? I mean everything he said was definitely an image of a game he had hoped to release, but sadly that just wasn't the case. There's no excuse for the 'lies' that Murray told, but surely the fact that Sony had presented No Man's Sky as their own game, with massive amounts of funding, had to increase an already present amount of pressure on to Murray and Hello Games, right?

If there's one thing we can't fault HG on, it's their determination to improve and give to us the game we expected at launch. Path Finder, Atlas Rises amongst tons of other patches. After the release of NEXT on Tuesday, it now seems that No Man's Sky is actually where Murray had intended from day one. We can criticise game devs all we like, I mean 90% off them would have hit and run on this shower of sh*t, but HG and Murray didn't, they kept at it until the very end, until there was a finished product. All we have to do is look at the 2016 Steam reviews and the ones from 2018 (as of today). Two totally different opinions of the same title.

2996445.jpg
Thursday 26th July 2018

2996445.jpg
I played No Man's Sky for around 5 hours last night, and I genuinley don't recall the last time I was fully immersed into a game like it, and that's coming from a multiplayer gamer of first person shooters and racing games. No Man's Sky wasn't meant to be a game I enjoyed, but I really did.

My question to you is; is it time we put the mess behind us and forgive HG and Murray for their past failings and give NMS a try?
Community Updates
Misc
25 Comments
Apologies for the length. The short question is in the title.
Forgive or forget, they’re now buried mate. Bad reputation is worse than actually being bad.
Why did he overpromise in the first place.. Either game was rushed out (then don't rush it and delay) or he thinks gamers are idiots and wouldn't notice..
mixmixi9 m ago

Forgive or forget, they’re now buried mate. Bad reputation is worse than a …Forgive or forget, they’re now buried mate. Bad reputation is worse than actually being bad.

I'm not sure that's true, the percentage increase on people playing the game on Steam is quite significant, not to mention the already stated increase in reviews.

34496943-orV0d.jpg
There's a +51,000 peak (over two days) on No Man's Sky currently in contrast to last month. Wether these are returning players or new purchasers, the numbers and reviews definitely show the opposite.

Edit: I've just had a look and it's 3rd currently in the Xbox One bestsellers on Amazon, and 10th on PlayStation 4, so I think the demand is still there.
Edited by: "BuzzDuraband" 26th Jul
winifer3 m ago

Why did he overpromise in the first place.. Either game was rushed out …Why did he overpromise in the first place.. Either game was rushed out (then don't rush it and delay) or he thinks gamers are idiots and wouldn't notice..

If he thought they wouldn't notice then, he definitely knows they would now. Apparently he was sent a death threat due to the game not featuring butterflies that were shown in the trailer pre-release.
I think it's great that they have put in continued support. I was pretty hyped about the game prior to release but my expectations weren't met. I was expecting more depth in space trade and warfare but that is not the fault of the developers, that's just me mistaking what I thought the game would be. I don't care about multiplayer.

Despite the updates the game is still not for me, but I would imagine it would change a few minds of people who bought it at launch.
I always felt that they got too much flack when the game released, yes it didn't have multiplayer but to me it was fairly obvious what the game play loop was all about which is why I didn't buy it (I have just recently purchased it for about a fiver).
Hello games is a pretty small studio and there is only so much that they can achieve, this should have been obvious to everyone (most interviews I saw had at least one comment "there are HOW many working on this" [in a shocked manner]) but kudos to them for supporting the game as much as they have despite the anger from the gaming community (most I suspect hadn't even played it ).

Oh and back to your question, yes but don't forget and try to keep the hype in check especially when it is clear that a studio might be overstretching themselves.
He’s repeated his misleading nonsense with the GOG release. eurogamer.net/art…gog

What with the apology blaming Sony and the community, I don’t think Sean Murray and Hello Games deserve any forgiveness.
Biddy24 m ago

He’s repeated his misleading nonsense with the GOG release. h …He’s repeated his misleading nonsense with the GOG release. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-25-no-mans-sky-doesnt-have-multiplayer-yet-if-you-buy-from-gogWhat with the apology blaming Sony and the community, I don’t think Sean Murray and Hello Games deserve any forgiveness.

Oh dear, never upset the master race.

34497245-ZCrrs.jpg
I've been playing it again on PS4 last few days with a friend. Really enjoying the new update. It doesn't feel like a lonely game any more. And using the terrain manipulator is funny as hell. I dug a very deep hole under my friend when he went afk and then buired him alive!! Took him ages to get out of it. Can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.
BuzzDuraband40 m ago

I'm not sure that's true, the percentage increase on people playing the …I'm not sure that's true, the percentage increase on people playing the game on Steam is quite significant, not to mention the already stated increase in reviews.[Image] There's a +51,000 peak (over two days) on No Man's Sky currently in contrast to last month. Wether these are returning players or new purchasers, the numbers and reviews definitely show the opposite.Edit: I've just had a look and it's 3rd currently in the Xbox One bestsellers on Amazon, and 10th on PlayStation 4, so I think the demand is still there.

I didn’t mean the game is bad mate. I never say any game is bad. All I meant was it’s just a bit late now for them. Otherwise any game would have their fans and the fans would keep playing them.
mixmixi1 m ago

I didn’t mean the game is bad mate. I never say any game is bad. All I m …I didn’t mean the game is bad mate. I never say any game is bad. All I meant was it’s just a bit late now for them. Otherwise any game would have their fans and the fans would keep playing them.

I didn't think you was. My response was in reflection that I don't think it is too late, hence the increased player numbers and Amazon sales. 10th on the PlayStation 4 is impressive for a game that was released on that specific platform two years ago.
Waiting for the Xbox version to hit £10 and then I will defo buy!
Xboxgamer32111 m ago

Waiting for the Xbox version to hit £10 and then I will defo buy!

Enjoyed in on the PS4 back when it was launched, watched a few streams of the new update an to be honest I will wait till it hits around that price.
It was time for cutting Mr Murray & his colleagues some slack during the last round of threads...

[ hotukdeals.com/com…579 ]
I am surprised that he has come back out as the voice of Hello Games for all the flack he got, he told some untruths but seriously its not like he is the first dev to billy bull his game and over-hype, Peter Molyneux looking at you.

Personally its too late for me to care about this game it was sorely lacking when launched and I do not have the time nor interest to go back to it now.

I'm sure Sean isn't a bad guy though, probably time he was cut a break.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 26th Jul
2 years since release and they finally have a game somewhat resembling the game they promised at release.

Well done them
It may be good now but personally forgiving and forgetting isnt a good thing in this case. Same with Sea of Thieves, you are signalling its ok for game companies to imbue and embellish and then put out unfinished products with a promise of "dont worry its coming"! Which is a huge advantage when it comes to resources (if it seems to have an audience figure it out down the line) and the fact you cant review unfinished games properly or if your product is poorly reviewed lure users with promises of whats to come.

TLDR; it might be a good game but would rsther not enable the games industry to be more scummy/stupid.
Got the Xbox One version for £20 yesterday but not had chance to try it yet. I hope it's better now than it was at launch.
SJHan1 h, 54 m ago

Got the Xbox One version for £20 yesterday but not had chance to try it …Got the Xbox One version for £20 yesterday but not had chance to try it yet. I hope it's better now than it was at launch.

Where did you get it for £20?
.Yoshi.27th Jul

Where did you get it for £20?

Brazil Xbox Marketplace
I bought it for Xbox One from Argentina Marketplace for £13.90. Looks like still that price.
They deserve some credit - 2k released the worst game ever released (WWE 2k18 on the switch) and then just abandoned it - I’m fairly sure they can afford to fix it.

Instead they abandon the console completely for the Series

BuzzDuraband26th Jul

If he thought they wouldn't notice then, he definitely knows they … If he thought they wouldn't notice then, he definitely knows they would now. Apparently he was sent a death threat due to the game not featuring butterflies that were shown in the trailer pre-release.

And I still want those butterflies..........
Edited by: "joanddan7" 31st Jul
Morning guys.

I put 200 hours into No Mans Sky upon release as I didnt have anywhere near the amount of performance issues the majority stated. The game was lacking pretty much everything back then, but there was just something about traveling from planet to planet and collecting resources the chilled me out after work. I got to the end of the "experience" twice and didnt touch it for all of 2017.

Recently started a fresh run on survival since the update, wow they have added a lot. There are actual objectives and goals. Freight ships, on planet vehicles, base crafting, multiplayer, invasions and space combat. My game time is going to double very quickly.

If you are interested in a chilled out atmosphere, exploration, resource collecting, base building and space combat give it a go for a few hours. See if it holds you.

Answer to question: Forgive and forget, enjoy the game
Edited by: "MrCollective" 1st Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants