Seat Alhambra vs Volkswagen Sharan

Found 5th Jan
I need a 7 seater vehicle and have looked at Alhambra and Sharan which are basically similar. If anyone bought in past 12 months, could you help me decide by providing your reason for choosing one or the other?
Happy to hear about any other suggestions for similar price range < £35K
My key must haves

• 7 seats
  • Android auto/Apple Car play compatible audio system
  • Cruise control with speed limited (preferably)
  • Heated windscreen
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
One of my work colleagues has the Alhambra and it’s decent. I have been in a sharan in the showroom and the only real difference I would say was the quality of the plastics. In the VW they are nice and soft but in the SEAT they are hard and feel a bit cheaper.

both are decent
Edited by: "mds1256" 6th Jan
Go for whichever has sliding doors coz it's hard enough getting out of these cars in the car park when out shopping. I've got a galaxy and honestly it's so wide makes it difficult to get out of the car.
Skoda kodiaq? More for the money usually and same vag parts
adhkarzf2 h, 33 m ago

Go for whichever has sliding doors coz it's hard enough getting out of …Go for whichever has sliding doors coz it's hard enough getting out of these cars in the car park when out shopping. I've got a galaxy and honestly it's so wide makes it difficult to get out of the car.

Both have sliding doors
mattsk2 h, 33 m ago

Skoda kodiaq? More for the money usually and same vag parts

NotLooked at Skoda. Will have a look thanks
The Sharan used to be the better one since that was the only one they offered the six seater option on in the UK, but since the facelift it's no longer available.

We ended up with the Sharan because of the combination of options. IIRC the Alhambra only came with a dark interior and electric doors, both of which are undesirable. The former makes the rear seats that are already dimmed by darkened windows even gloomier while the latter are the annoying side of slow.

It's definitely a car that suits light colours, I'd go for White or Red exterior paint too. We took a risk on Atlantic Blue but it's really grey in the flesh.

Although if you want a heated windscreen the Alhambra may be your only choice as I don't think it's an option on the Sharan, it just has heated rear windscreen and heated windscreen washer jets.
They are essentially the same car, A few cosmetic tweaks here and there. The Alhambra usually has more equipment fitted as standard and is generally cheaper, offers better value for money. It's made by VW in the same factory using pretty much the same parts etc.

I personally prefer the Ford Galaxy, its nicer to drive but they don't have sliding doors if that's important to you. To me sliding doors = extra weight, suffer more faults than conventional doors, especially the electronic ones. Nothing else on the market are worth bothering with unless you're prepared to have a slightly smaller MPV like a Zafira?, Smax?, Touran?.

I've got a Zafira Tourer myself, it's ok and economical but my previous Smax was nicer to drive but wasn't fitted with as many gadgets like cruise control etc.
My parents bought a Kodiaq in November.

The Kodiaq is very nice - better spec that the VW equiv and cheaper (I went to VW and Skoda with my dad when he was looking).

The VW group cars are all very similar but the spec levels and options are differnt so you may be forced to one brand if some options are important to you. My parents did not want a panoramic roof but did want heated leather memory seats - couldn't get that at vw.

I think my dad paid £34K for a 7 seat top of the range kodiaq, 190bhp, 4x4, DSG, full leather, heated memory seats, fancy dash. That was the car the dealer had in the showroom but hadn't been used for demos (14 miles on the clock).
A similar tiguan couldn't have memory seats on both sides and was going to be £40K+.

My dad was a bit sniffy about the idea of a skoda but I pushed him to go have a look at them after we looked at the VW dealer offerings. I'd really say that the Skoda is the better car, little things like the pop out door protectors. And the spec is much better for the money .

The downside is that in that class there isn't much space for the 3rd row seats. If you need proper seats and luggage then look at the VW caravel - its more expensive but its the best I've seen for carrying adults in comfort.
EndlessWaves6th Jan

The Sharan used to be the better one since that was the only one they …The Sharan used to be the better one since that was the only one they offered the six seater option on in the UK, but since the facelift it's no longer available.We ended up with the Sharan because of the combination of options. IIRC the Alhambra only came with a dark interior and electric doors, both of which are undesirable. The former makes the rear seats that are already dimmed by darkened windows even gloomier while the latter are the annoying side of slow. It's definitely a car that suits light colours, I'd go for White or Red exterior paint too. We took a risk on Atlantic Blue but it's really grey in the flesh. Although if you want a heated windscreen the Alhambra may be your only choice as I don't think it's an option on the Sharan, it just has heated rear windscreen and heated windscreen washer jets.

Does cruise control in Sharan have a speed limiter or not?
dragon_ninsu14 h, 6 m ago

Does cruise control in Sharan have a speed limiter or not?

The adaptive cruise control on ours has a manually set maximum speed. Or are you asking whether there's a speed limiter that can be used with cruise control disabled as some cars have?
EndlessWaves10th Jan

The adaptive cruise control on ours has a manually set maximum speed. Or …The adaptive cruise control on ours has a manually set maximum speed. Or are you asking whether there's a speed limiter that can be used with cruise control disabled as some cars have?

Meant Adaptive cruise control.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants