Second Hand Amazon Fire TV box (pendent) will not update - any advice?

Posted 24th JanEdited by:"Awesomeness-in-your-mouth"
I bought a second hand Amazon TV fire box - the pendent type. No box - just item by itself.

I have plugged it in and when it tries to update it says that it is unable to update.

My wifi is fine so that is not an issue. I have also factory reset it.

I have contacted amazon support but they said I need serial number which I cannot get.

I suspect previous owner has stopped any updating for obvious reasons.

Is there any hacks out there that could help me?

I may not respond straight away so thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

15 Comments
Go into "My Fire TV"
Click on "About"
Serial number will be shown on right side
adamderak24/01/2020 13:35

Go into "My Fire TV"Click on "About"Serial number will be shown on right …Go into "My Fire TV"Click on "About"Serial number will be shown on right side

I cannot get into the firestick at all - I plug it in, it allows me to select country of use, allows me to add my wifi network, checks for updates and then says it cannot update and contact Amazon.

Not sure if there is a way to press certain buttons in any sequence on the remote or the app to allow me to get into settings?
Have you been able to register it
adamderak24/01/2020 13:54

Have you been able to register it

No. I need the serial number for that !
try holding down right on the circle and return button for 10 seconds. should factory reset then try again.
dickypreston24/01/2020 14:06

try holding down right on the circle and return button for 10 seconds. …try holding down right on the circle and return button for 10 seconds. should factory reset then try again.

Done it.
Still same issue
You have got it plugged into a power supply haven't you? Sometimes USBs on TVs don't give enough power to update
stefos8924/01/2020 14:47

You have got it plugged into a power supply haven't you? Sometimes USBs on …You have got it plugged into a power supply haven't you? Sometimes USBs on TVs don't give enough power to update

Yes plugged in.
Amazon block devices which get reported as lost/stolen.

You can sometimes get past the startup and sideload apps if you want to give that a try visit XDA forums
Edited by: "emodan" 24th Jan
That's why I don't like to use Second Hand matterials. Always want to buy new one if not then wait for the better time when money available.
Mackenzie3325/01/2020 01:35

That's why I don't like to use Second Hand matterials. Always want to buy …That's why I don't like to use Second Hand matterials. Always want to buy new one if not then wait for the better time when money available.

It was a tenner, so risk was very small, took pot luck!
Awesomeness-in-your-mouth25/01/2020 10:51

It was a tenner, so risk was very small, took pot luck!

It's upto you. If you are comfortably using this one then carry one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants