Second hand Canon cameras

Posted 23rd Dec 2019
I was passing CEX store and saw a 1D mkii for only £210, so that got me thinking, there are plenty available for less on E-bay.

But then I thought what can I get for a little bit more, a 1D mk iv looks to be a good mix of quality without being too expensive if you look around.

So my question is, is a 1D mk iv better than say a 5Dmkii? The 1D mk iv came out in 2009, not sure about the 5Dmkii, I know the 1D has a phenomenal frame rate and better low light sensitivity and better AF.
The 5D has better resolution and is very good for HD video, and is a popular choice for wedding photographers. Is there a better alternative Canon that experienced Canon users know of and can recommend?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Cant comment on the camera options, but in terms of CEX vs eBay, consider how much a 2 year warranty is.
CEX provides a 2 year warranty, and if you order online a 7 day no quibble money back. Not sure many ebay sellers will offer that on a used camera.
The Pro series have the ability to provide a shutter actuation count which is useful as a shutter on a 1 series is expensive, I'd expect a shutter failure wouldn't be covered in the warranty as it's a wear and tear item.

What lenses do you have, putty a 1 series behind glass won't give the results you'd expect.

Also look at how dirty the internals are. An internal clean was never cheap a on mine.
Just to say, 5D was amazing at its release. Loads of photographers still use them now as backups or their primary body.
darlodge23/12/2019 19:17

The Pro series have the ability to provide a shutter actuation count which …The Pro series have the ability to provide a shutter actuation count which is useful as a shutter on a 1 series is expensive, I'd expect a shutter failure wouldn't be covered in the warranty as it's a wear and tear item.What lenses do you have, putty a 1 series behind glass won't give the results you'd expect.Also look at how dirty the internals are. An internal clean was never cheap a on mine.

Ok, thanks, the best lens I have is the 70-200f4 I think I need the f2 to get decent results. Or some prime lenses.
Bigfootpete23/12/2019 23:08

Ok, thanks, the best lens I have is the 70-200f4 I think I need the f2 to …Ok, thanks, the best lens I have is the 70-200f4 I think I need the f2 to get decent results. Or some prime lenses.

The L glass makes the difference more than the F stop. I've had images published from the 50mm 1.8. it's a slippery slope though with L glass! Next minute you're lugging around a 300mm 2.8 that is your baby
I'm fortunate to own a 5d II, a 5d iv and a 1dx. If it was my money I'd go for the 1d mk iv. Better in low light and much much better AF. The centre focus point area on the 5d ii is quite large and can miss focus on wildlife shots in my experience. Don't get too hung up on image resolution. Don't get me wrong the 5D II is great but you'll get more keepers with the 1d. Good luck!

Edit: forgot to say pretty sure the 1d shoots HD video too.
Edited by: "Hacked" 24th Dec 2019
Hacked24/12/2019 00:16

I'm fortunate to own a 5d II, a 5d iv and a 1dx. If it was my money I'd go …I'm fortunate to own a 5d II, a 5d iv and a 1dx. If it was my money I'd go for the 1d mk iv. Better in low light and much much better AF. The centre focus point area on the 5d ii is quite large and can miss focus on wildlife shots in my experience. Don't get too hung up on image resolution. Don't get me wrong the 5D II is great but you'll get more keepers with the 1d. Good luck!Edit: forgot to say pretty sure the 1d shoots HD video too.

Thanks - yes it does(shoot HD video), although the DPreview of it says it felt like it was 'tacked on' as an afterthought, it's probably still pretty good.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 24th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions