Second hand car sales

Found 26th Mar
Hi all,

Looking to starting buying a car or 2 at a time to try and sell to make some extra cash. I’m planning on cars for new drivers. So around the £1k mark.

Does anyone have any tips in this field?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
If your going to be a trader you should register as one and play fair.
Everyone and their dog is selling cars. Very little money in it really.
It's a pain now as its become harder. You need trade insurance, wash cars, fix car if faulty and the customers now have the right to return it if it goes faulty. On one car you might make £100 and the other you might make a few quid more.
A lot of people are time wasters and prefer a garage altho many people still sell from home.
Your budget is quite low, spend £1,500 instead and buy vans, they are the best sellers.
You will also need trade plates to stick inside the car for driving it. The quite months are December, January and February.
A mate of mine used to do it, it's a lot harder now, he says it's too much hassle.
my husband used to have a friend that ran a second hand car business and he said that it doesn't make much money at all. to make any money from that business, you have to be able to fix cars so you buy conked out ones and fix them up then sell them on. i have a work colleague whose partner owns a garage and he does just that.
My mates brothers auntie does this and makes lots of money
benjammin3166 m ago

My mates brothers auntie does this and makes lots of money

So does my uncles nephew.
kay19924 m ago

So does my uncles nephew.

lol
I know load of people. None of them sell cars tho.

There’s this one guy. Arnold Clark, I think, he’s done alright out of it.
TheAppleGeezer5 m ago

I know load of people. None of them sell cars tho. There’s this one guy. A …I know load of people. None of them sell cars tho. There’s this one guy. Arnold Clark, I think, he’s done alright out of it.

joking aside, i googled arnold clark, as i wondered who the hell he is and i think the answer is that to make money in the second hand car market, you need to be a big dealer where you buy second hand cars in bulk at really cheap costs and sell them on. so buy fleet of old company cars for example and sell them on to the public.

old MO, it takes money to make money.
Saw a good trick in the local rag, although it probably isn't legal.

What you do is have your mate distract the seller round the back of the car whilst you look under the hood. You then poor some water in with the oil. Then go with the seller for a test drive and when you get back look at the oil which will now be frothy as if a gasket is leaking.

You can now convince the poor seller to sell the car to you for a few hundred less than its worth, quick oil change later and you have yourself a tidy profit after selling it on
666FU8 h, 22 m ago

Saw a good trick in the local rag, although it probably isn't legal. What …Saw a good trick in the local rag, although it probably isn't legal. What you do is have your mate distract the seller round the back of the car whilst you look under the hood. You then poor some water in with the oil. Then go with the seller for a test drive and when you get back look at the oil which will now be frothy as if a gasket is leaking. You can now convince the poor seller to sell the car to you for a few hundred less than its worth, quick oil change later and you have yourself a tidy profit after selling it on

There’s loads of scams like this, people will also buy it and drive off then change parts and say the car is faulty so they get a refund etc
I work in the trade and sell cars as a sideline and earn reasonable out of it
Have trade insurance , trade plates and an area to park cars away from home
Depends how serious your gonna go and if you want to earn a living out of it
I buy part ex's that come into garages instead of them going to auction
I deal with a few garages around my area who now call me to see if I'm interested
I have bought from dealer auction which is trade only website but a lot cheaper overheads than local auction houses
I sell cheaper than garages as no overheads , i fully service them and put a years mot on to also find any faults so I don't get any comebacks and give them a decent valet
Be prepared to spend money on cars before you earn , and sometimes be stuck with a car
I've earned as little as a hundred quid on a car just to clear it , my motto is anything over what it owes me is a profit , I'm not greedy and it gets me return customers and asked to find certain cars , I stay clear from vans
Some I register in my name and tax and use , am using one at the moment
Others I leave in trade and use trade plates to cover nil tax on the car
I like the trade and have worked in it for about 20 years and don't think I'd want to sell cars full time , it's hard out their
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants