Second hand iPhone 11 Pro Max locked to EE, has anyone had any luck getting EE to unlock your phone?

Posted 6th Oct
Hi there, I bought a second hand iPhone 11 pro max which as you know just came out. The seller conveniently never told me it was locked to EE and looking up unlock codes, sellers are wanting £178 for them. And EEs website is saying I can buy an unlock after the phone is 6months old.

Has anyone had any luck before just calling them up and asking for an exception- and if they’d unlock it for you.

Thanks 🙏
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
No I got the Xs last year and wanted it unlocking for a USA trip and the trip was after 7 months and they wouldn’t budge, I wanted it unlocked and tested with plenty time but I had to wait the full 6 months but it was done in days after that so all was good.
Did you not ask before you bought it if it was sim free or 🔓 ?
AW007906/10/2019 13:11

Did you not ask before you bought it if it was sim free or 🔓 ?

It was listed as unlocked
Blaze_VR06/10/2019 13:12

It was listed as unlocked

Then send it back and explain why .
Edited by: "AW0079" 6th Oct
toonsquirel06/10/2019 12:59

No I got the Xs last year and wanted it unlocking for a USA trip and the …No I got the Xs last year and wanted it unlocking for a USA trip and the trip was after 7 months and they wouldn’t budge, I wanted it unlocked and tested with plenty time but I had to wait the full 6 months but it was done in days after that so all was good.

Thanks! Guess I’ll be switching to EE for 6 months 😬 really appreciate your reply
Change you network to EE
Get some compen of the seller he knew what he was doing
What was the reason for them selling?
you might end up with a phone taken out with a contract, they stop paying for it and your new phone will be a very expensive paperweight.

send it back.
Edited by: "u664541" 6th Oct
Send it back by appealing to eBay customer services and get a full refund. eBay almost always side with the buyer, and in this case the seller misled you on the status of the iPhone. If you try to get compensation and are successful but get to keep the phone, you risk the possibility of the seller contacting EE if the phone was on contract and appealing that the phone was 'lost or stolen' resulting in your phone being blocked.
Send it back to seller as Item not as described, you will receive a refund via eBay with no problems
Anyone who buys a phone like this from an ebay seller (especially a private seller) is asking for trouble.

I wouldn’t waste the money having it unlocked or switching networks, open up a return request asap and return it special delivery. As mentioned above, there’s a good chance it’ll end up blocked in a few months time rendering it a paperweight in the UK.

One of the oldest scams going on ebay, fancy phone bought on contract, sold on ebay, 3-6 months later seller stops paying their bill and the phone gets blocked.
Edited by: "freakstyler" 6th Oct
As others have said, send it back. The person may report it stolen a few months down the line and you'll lose your money and have a phone that's useless as it's IMEI will be blacklisted so it won't work on any network
There is another dodgy option to the above if for some reason you don't want to send it back, but it's obviously very unlikely you'd want to do this. There is a way to get it unlocked but if you know and trust someone travelling somewhere like Pakistan or India you can pass them the phone to get it unlocked over there via the black markets, the IMEI manipulated and the phone free from any previous tracking, then tell them to pass you the phone back to use . It can also be done even if the dodgy seller reports the phone as 'lost or stolen' to the network provider and the phone is blocked, but if the phone is reported 'lost or stolen' on Find My iPhone then you're out of luck and the phone will be remotely wiped completely of all function as soon as it connects to a network until the IMEI is manipulated abroad by the black markets.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 6th Oct
I purchased an EE XS max last year after it had just come out. Thought I had a bargain, but within two months it had been reported stolen and blocked.

What happened is the phone started showing no service, then signal came back then went and so forth. The next morning signal had permanantly gone! Did a check mend report and showed as blocked.

Luckily i purchased mine from a reputable high street seller who buy from the public and sell on. One thing i did clarify before buying is that i was covered for blacklisting for a lifetime if it ever got blocked.

My advice would be to buy from a reputable business seller on ebay preferably VAT registered, loads of feedback and one that maybe has a bricks and mortar store one that you can visit in person if this was to happen! That way you know your covered if this ever happens.

Good luck and hope it works out.
Edited by: "L_K123" 7th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants