Groups

Second sky dish

Hi there. I've recently moved house and sky was already installed (it had a sky dish and the double wires into our living room. However, I wanted sky setting up on the opposite side of the room. A sky engineer came around and said we'd be better putting up a new dish - it wasn't costing me any extra so I let him get on with it. My question is, I'd quite like to run the old wire into another room and connect sky in there without paying for sky multi room. Can I just buy a second hand sky box, plug it in and get sky freeview, or will I need a new viewing card etc? Thanks!

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

13 Comments

I don't think you will be able to pause or record but you will manage to get freesat channels. I gave my old box to my girlfriend last week cause she has a dish and she gets them fine. I believe you can get a viewing card from Sky to get extra channels that costs £25 for a year

You still need another box and viewing card for Sky Free to Air channels, or you could just get a Freesat box, slightly different channel line-up, but no cards required

Original Poster

Thanks both.

I'm hoping I can pick up a sub £20 sky+ hd box locally so that's probably my preferred option.

IndianaBlues - do all freesat boxes work with the dual wire from the Sky dish?

You only need the 'dual wires' if you are recording. Each wire/feed goes to a separate tuner on your satellite box. You can then record two channels, watch a channel and record another etc.

If you're just going for a non-recording freesat box, you just need a single feed/wire.

You cannot get Freeview on a Sky Receiver, you can get Freesat from Sky, which is a different viewing platform.

CSkel

IndianaBlues - do all freesat boxes work with the dual wire from the Sky … IndianaBlues - do all freesat boxes work with the dual wire from the Sky dish?

As Tony mentioned in a later post, yes, if you have a recorder - if just a single-input Freesat box, you'll be able to use your Sky cable no issues, the dish needs the same alignment regardless of which service you're using, Sky or Freesat.

It is worth mentioning that Sky require an additional payment to use the recording facilities on a Sky Receiver.

A Freesat Recorder ( Non-Sky ) machine does not require any additional payment other than the one off purchase price.

Just a thought - in my area you need planning permission to put a second dish up!

kensington143

Just a thought - in my area you need planning permission to put a second … Just a thought - in my area you need planning permission to put a second dish up!

Probably applies to all of the country, not that it would bother the Sky Ladder Monkey's that install dishes for Sky. (_;)

I have SKY multiroom in two rooms but decided to cancel one of the subscriptions in another room once the price reduction finished. The viewing card was cancelled by SKY but the box still gives me some channels not available on freeview etc, you just can't pause, rewind, record etc anymore. Hope that helps?

Inactive

Probably applies to all of the country, not that it would bother the Sky … Probably applies to all of the country, not that it would bother the Sky Ladder Monkey's that install dishes for Sky. (_;)

In most its if you want more than 2 and depends where
    Conservation areas can be different

Banned

Why do you need a second dish?

You just change the LNB on the existing dish to a quad or octo LNB and connect your new cables to that
    Edited by: "R3surr3ction" 10th Jan 2015

Original Poster

Dea332 - Do you still get channels when you pull the card out? Thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed11
      2. applecare vs John Lewis Warranty1535
      3. Bet365 Free In Play Bet £25 Chelsea Vs Tottenham35
      4. cats and royal canin biscuits1020

See more discussions