Second sky q mini box - can i buy from ebay?

Found 13th Aug 2017
Hello,

I have sky q with multiscreen and a sky q mini box in the bedroom. My question is, since I already have multiscreen, can i just buy another sky q mini box off ebay and plug it in for use in another room?

Has anyone done this? Would like to know if it works.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Sky lease Q and mini boxes to subscribers so they are not the property of the people selling.
deleted1597344
As already said do not buy from eBay these boxes belong to Sky.
I believe sky only charge a 1 off £99 to install an additional box.
Thanks for the replies, but they don't answer the question. If something can be bought on ebay for £40 and I then own it, it seems like a better idea than renting a box for £99 which I will potentially have for only a year. Then if i rejoin sky again in 2 years time.. i have to pay the £99 again.

I'm not too fussed on how they end up on ebay to be honest. The seller is going to be liable to reimburse sky, not me!

The question is simply - would an additional box work and link up with my sky q box?
adamski8818 m ago

Thanks for the replies, but they don't answer the question. If something …Thanks for the replies, but they don't answer the question. If something can be bought on ebay for £40 and I then own it, it seems like a better idea than renting a box for £99 which I will potentially have for only a year. Then if i rejoin sky again in 2 years time.. i have to pay the £99 again. I'm not too fussed on how they end up on ebay to be honest. The seller is going to be liable to reimburse sky, not me! The question is simply - would an additional box work and link up with my sky q box?

Last time I checked you need to have the box authorised/activated by Sky to work. Plus they can kill it at any time.
deleted1597344
The box will more than likely work, but for how long who knows.

We can only provide you advice, if you wish to purchase from eBay and take a risk then that's your choice.
There are folks thick enough to sell or buy a box off Ebay ,which is not owned by the seller (its owned and controlled by SKY ). It won't end well for the buyer or seller .
rogparki53 m ago

There are folks thick enough to sell or buy a box off Ebay ,which is not …There are folks thick enough to sell or buy a box off Ebay ,which is not owned by the seller (its owned and controlled by SKY ). It won't end well for the buyer or seller .

Lol, calm down. I agree its stupid to sell one.. but if it works (which is what im trying to deduce BEFORE buying one) it is hardly being thick.

Reason im asking is because from what ive read it is more or less a streaming box which works through your internal network. The mini box connects to the main sky q box (where my multiscreen subscription is), it doesnt have a viewing card etc. It runs directly off your main subscription.
kester7659 m ago

Last time I checked you need to have the box authorised/activated by Sky …Last time I checked you need to have the box authorised/activated by Sky to work. Plus they can kill it at any time.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind me asking where you got this informtion? Because if sky activite each box individully then this plan is dead in the water!
Judging by what ive read on the official sky forums, sky are constantly complaining to ebay/gumtree to try and get the sale of these boxes banned. I can only assume the only reason they would care about this is if they were losing money.. which would suggest it does work if u have the relevant subscription?
adamski882 h, 54 m ago

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind me asking where you got this …Thanks for the reply. Do you mind me asking where you got this informtion? Because if sky activite each box individully then this plan is dead in the water!

Just what the engineer told me so could be dubious. I've looked on ebay and gumtree and there seems to be some strange claims which pretty much amounts to theft, selling stolen goods and they're damn expensive

Last time I checked the additional sky Q mini boxes were £99 from Sky. Also the fact that the MAC code and serial numbers would be linked to the original purchase. So you would link your Sky mini box to the Sky Q box and Sky would see that you have stolen property. I would probably haggle for a free additional mini q box my next contract renewal than risk it as it's registered to me and my address over the internet unlike the older sky hd boxes
I bought a sky mini from gumtree and its worked perfectly for past 6 months
adamski8814 h, 54 m ago

Thanks for the replies, but they don't answer the question. If something …Thanks for the replies, but they don't answer the question. If something can be bought on ebay for £40 and I then own it, it seems like a better idea than renting a box for £99 which I will potentially have for only a year. Then if i rejoin sky again in 2 years time.. i have to pay the £99 again. I'm not too fussed on how they end up on ebay to be honest. The seller is going to be liable to reimburse sky, not me! The question is simply - would an additional box work and link up with my sky q box?

If the box is rented to the original subscribers, and they agreed to return it should they cancel their subs, (as per contract terms), then couldn't it be that there is a possibility, albeit small, that Sky could say it is considered stolen?

If so, couldn't you therefore be considered as buying stolen goods?
tommy.noddy13 h, 43 m ago

I bought a sky mini from gumtree and its worked perfectly for past 6 …I bought a sky mini from gumtree and its worked perfectly for past 6 months

Did you have a mini already in your set-up or is this the only one, just wondering whether SKY have to authorise something at their end for the mini's to work or if it's a setting on the main box? On this basis also wondering whether it's possible to cancel the multiroom part of the Q package and the mini still work? I know in theory SKY should collect the mini once cancelled but I don't believe they are.
Yer already had one mini so i now have two, apparently they are not collecting the equipment at the end of your contract when you cancel, to much hassle for them.
Sky absolutely are collecting their equipment. They send out flat pack addressed boxes for the return of their boxes upon cancellation. I can only assume the guy saying they dont has not cancelled. The box will be blocked if the original purchaser stops payment. You could buy one but it will only work as long as the previous owner continues to pay for multiroom...ie they had more than one minibox and sold 1 or 2 but kept one and continued to pay the £12 a month. If they stop paying or cancel.....box will be blocked. Plus knowingly buying stolen property (lets face it thats what it is) is a criminal offence and carries a jail term of up to 6 months plus fine. Think id just pay the £99 rather than give these morons selling what doesnt belong to them on gumtree or ebay.
Now it all makes sense ! when i threatened to cancel my sky subscription the advisor was like... " you need to return the equipment to us....." i was like GTFO i paid for that stuff..
After a long argument with the guy and him getting his supervisor they realise i had SKY HD Boxes and it was my property !!

More reasons for Sky to have the upper hand in trying to keep you...
such threats as.. you gotta pay the £199 fee for the kit again if you leave ......
caseyscout25th Sep

Sky absolutely are collecting their equipment. They send out flat pack …Sky absolutely are collecting their equipment. They send out flat pack addressed boxes for the return of their boxes upon cancellation. I can only assume the guy saying they dont has not cancelled. The box will be blocked if the original purchaser stops payment. You could buy one but it will only work as long as the previous owner continues to pay for multiroom...ie they had more than one minibox and sold 1 or 2 but kept one and continued to pay the £12 a month. If they stop paying or cancel.....box will be blocked. Plus knowingly buying stolen property (lets face it thats what it is) is a criminal offence and carries a jail term of up to 6 months plus fine. Think id just pay the £99 rather than give these morons selling what doesnt belong to them on gumtree or ebay.

Its civil matter not a criminal matter best sky can do is take you to a small claims courts.
I asked this when I had mine fitted and the engineer said yes but if anything goes wrong then they may charge you as they did not supply or fit it.
just to add an update I just cancelled my sky q they said if I dont return the boxes there will be a 30 pound non return fee then the boxes will become my property they did say that i wouldn't be able to use them with my account again though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants