Expired

Section 75 Protection if paying private individual with credit card/bank transfer

Found 12th Feb 2013
I'm thinking of buying a laptop from a private seller on Gumtree. The seller seems entirely legit and we've chatted on forums, by email, he's provided photos of his laptop with his username with the photo's date (i.e. today). He doesn't have a Paypal or eBay account and would prefer cash on collection. Problem is, I'm 400 miles away and can only pay with bank transfer.

Can anyone tell me if I have comeback with Section 75 if I pay using my Visa credit card, or bank transfer? It's quite a lot of money (£500+) so just want to know if I can claim if he does in the unlikely event turn out to be a scammer. Can someone please help me as I'm unsure where I stand if the proverbial hits the fan.
Community Updates
AskCardCredit Card
8 Comments
Section 75 only applies to credit cards (so that rules out bank transfer), and if you use an intermidiary (such as PayPal) you lose that cover.

Best bet, pay via PayPal (NOT Gift) and rely on seller protection.
If you can pay him via your credit card then yes

But bank transfer or debit card payments are not covered by the protection
get him to set up an paypal account for that amount of money, or pay half before receipt and half after
Gumtree is for face to face transactions, I would strongly advice against buying something that you can not collect and inspect yourself.
SUMMONER

Gumtree is for face to face transactions, I would strongly advice against … Gumtree is for face to face transactions, I would strongly advice against buying something that you can not collect and inspect yourself.

exactly +!
If you are going to use a debit card, perpaid card or ever intend spending less then £100 on one item with a credit card you can now actually fall back on a different scheme to Section 75 known as Chargeback.

It's important to know this is part of Visa, Mastercard and Amex's internal rules and NOT a legal requirement unlike with Section 75.

While chargeback is a useful tool, Section 75 is much stronger as the credit card company is legally liable.

PayPal does have its own refund systems though again this isn't as strong as the legal protection of Section 75. May not help with your circumstance though.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

I don't know if the following will help as I can't currently open pdf files.

Sending Money Safely leaflet from MoneyAdvice.org. This may actually be more to do with foreign currency exchanges so may not be of any use to you. You could also contact your bank with regard to your query.

I also agree with SUMMONER as well.

Sorry I can't help any further.

Edited by: "LemonHead" 13th Feb 2013
Print some money and meet him.
Thanks guys. The help's much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions