Security Camera Suggestions?

Posted 20th Jan
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good security camera set up to buy, for looking outdoors? I really don't know anything about them!

Would need at least 2 cameras. Good night vision etc... Is it best to have cloud storage as well as a hd? Is the cloud a subscription & secure? Could indoor cameras be added if desired?

Thought Is ask you guys because you know you're stuff

Budget around £200 maybe £300.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
All depends on what you want / need really. I have the Blink system and whilst it has some flaws, it’s easy peasy to install - no wires at all, connects to WiFi and has a decent phone app and the image quay isn’t bad. You can add outdoor/indoor to it and there are no subscription charges.

If you want high quality 24/7 recordings then you’ll maybe want to look at something else, but it’ll take a lot more effort to install. Look at Hikvision if this is your preferred option.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 20th Jan
Diggsy20/01/2020 23:05

I have the Blink system and whilst it has some flaws,

Curious about it's flaws. I was looking at a few indoor and outdoor Blink cameras. For me the main red flag is that it's an Amazon company, so all footage will be floating around the Amazon 'cloud'.
Ar460rn21/01/2020 13:29

Curious about it's flaws. I was looking at a few indoor and outdoor Blink …Curious about it's flaws. I was looking at a few indoor and outdoor Blink cameras. For me the main red flag is that it's an Amazon company, so all footage will be floating around the Amazon 'cloud'.

I suppose you could say that about any company really.

For flaws, the main one I’ve seen is sometimes (not too often) there is a hefty delay between footage being captured and a notification being received. This has improved a lot recently, not sure if they’ve improved servers or what but I get my notifications almost instantly now.

You need fairly strong WiFi signal, as the camera’s built in WiFi is somewhat weak.

The bracket for installing them is a weakness, would be easily knocked off. If worried about this though there are solutions to it. The newer XT2 brackets have addressed this from what I can see.

Nighttime footage is just ok, perfectly usable, just don’t expect to identify someone from it. I improved this a lot by turning the IR off and having security lighting that covers the same area. That way the footage is almost as good as daytime.

Otherwise, for what it is, and how easy it is to install / use, I’d say it’s a really good system.

Battery life is simply incredible. Mine has been running for 8 months and it gets a lot of usage because of where it’s installed.
Diggsy21/01/2020 13:40

I suppose you could say that about any company really.For flaws, the main …I suppose you could say that about any company really.For flaws, the main one I’ve seen is sometimes (not too often) there is a hefty delay between footage being captured and a notification being received. This has improved a lot recently, not sure if they’ve improved servers or what but I get my notifications almost instantly now.You need fairly strong WiFi signal, as the camera’s built in WiFi is somewhat weak.The bracket for installing them is a weakness, would be easily knocked off. If worried about this though there are solutions to it. The newer XT2 brackets have addressed this from what I can see.Nighttime footage is just ok, perfectly usable, just don’t expect to identify someone from it. I improved this a lot by turning the IR off and having security lighting that covers the same area. That way the footage is almost as good as daytime.Otherwise, for what it is, and how easy it is to install / use, I’d say it’s a really good system.Battery life is simply incredible. Mine has been running for 8 months and it gets a lot of usage because of where it’s installed.

Thanks, very useful.
Ar460rn21/01/2020 13:44

Thanks, very useful.

You’re very welcome. If you have any queries just let me know and I’ll try to answer them for you.
You can now get cameras with colour night vision, have a search they look good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants