security for laptop

please help any suggestions on security for laptops i e Norton/ mc caffe and the best place to purchase from thanks in advance

17 Comments

microsoft security essentials. Don't pay for anything.

To be honest Windows built in is good enough if you don't Download from dodgy sources

Spyware blaster, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware + ESET Internet Security (or Premium if you want the additional features it offers). The first three can be had for free but if funds allow the considering upgrading either the 2nd or 3rd to premium. It also doesn't hurt to install web of trust either.
Edited by: "dozstanford" 27th Dec 2016

Flickflack may well be on to something, ESET seem to have dropped the ball this year...

av-comparatives.org/wp-…pdf

Data provided also shows why MSE shouldn't be entirely trusted with its failure to detect rate and high number false positives. I still stand by Spyware blaster, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware however.

I would never pay for any! If you have everything up to date you should be fine with the basic Microsoft stuff. I've never trusted the paid stuff, seems a bit like Saudi Arabia and terrorism.

Malwarebytes and panda AV, both free and don't hog system resources

Best security is not to use Microsoft products I recommend Manjaro Linux
READ THIS privacytools.io/

I used to work in IT repairs and although the built in antivirus and malware protection is good it still didn't stop our customers from getting malware riddled computers and dns hijacks, fixed everything up and the ones who decided on malwarebytes we never had to see again for the same issues but the ones who opted not for malwarebytes and just took it away most of those got infected again. These days a half decent anti-malware program is the best protection you require especially with all them encryption viruses out there. Just out of curiosity if anyone thinks they are secure on just windows protection try a scan with the malwarebytes free(deselect trial on install) it will probably find some malware unless your tech savvy and understand how not to get viruses in first place.

I have tested security essentials, with rarred files that I know contain nasty exe's, and it failed even detecting them, go for kaspersky or eset and malwarebytes pro, you will be fine

I'm amazed how so many people can give recommendations without knowing any facts.

Without disrespect to the op it's like asking where is the best place to drive my car. If you have a 4x4 the recommendations would be different to a sports car.

The fact is the product you choose depends on your lifestyle with your laptop. If you mainly use it at home, only use it for browsing and emails and use common sense then the built in Microsoft products are adequate because you are not placing yourself in risky enviroments.

If however you use a lot of public networks, go to dodgy download sites, not very techie when it comes to clicking on unknown attachments or links..... then you need a better allrounder package that includes spyware, malware, antivirus and firewall protection.

The products out there are mixed, some are more expensive than others, some use more resource than others. So budget and the specifications of your laptop come into play as well.

There are many antivirus tests out there but like a car MOT the tests are only as good as the day they are done. Product updates happen often and definition updates are almost daily, both of which throw any tests out of the window.

Prices can vary on how many licenses you use. If you have more than one device you sometimes get a better deal buying a multi-license.

Check with your bank as well as sometimes they provide deals. As an example, Barclays do Kapersky for 5 devices for about £6.99 per year.

Can I personally recommend you something? No, not without knowing you internet habits.

myapps

I'm amazed how so many people can give recommendations without knowing … I'm amazed how so many people can give recommendations without knowing any facts. Without disrespect to the op it's like asking where is the best place to drive my car. If you have a 4x4 the recommendations would be different to a sports car.The fact is the product you choose depends on your lifestyle with your laptop. If you mainly use it at home, only use it for browsing and emails and use common sense then the built in Microsoft products are adequate because you are not placing yourself in risky enviroments.If however you use a lot of public networks, go to dodgy download sites, not very techie when it comes to clicking on unknown attachments or links..... then you need a better allrounder package that includes spyware, malware, antivirus and firewall protection.The products out there are mixed, some are more expensive than others, some use more resource than others. So budget and the specifications of your laptop come into play as well.There are many antivirus tests out there but like a car MOT the tests are only as good as the day they are done. Product updates happen often and definition updates are almost daily, both of which throw any tests out of the window.Prices can vary on how many licenses you use. If you have more than one device you sometimes get a better deal buying a multi-license.Check with your bank as well as sometimes they provide deals. As an example, Barclays do Kapersky for 5 devices for about £6.99 per year.Can I personally recommend you something? No, not without knowing you internet habits.

That's why comprehensive options are being recommended. All bases covered.

i used to have malwarebytes anti explot. sadly no longer free

Use the free software. Pay all you want but you will never get cover for zero day attacks and stupid decisions. Use common sense and the free software and you will be fine. Back up files to stick and cloud services. Use a password manager not your memory and a different password for every site and you will be fine.

Common sense is better than any security software
If an email offers something too good to be true, it will be so don't click the link and don't download software from dodgy websites.

If you do need security then most ISP's provide them free, BT for example offer their netprotect security pack which contains, an anti-virus, firewall, Intels 'True Key' (Password management) and more.

Might recommend encrypting the laptop as part of the security solution, just in case it goes astray.

Original Poster

thank you all so much for all the help and advice
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sky or Virgin?1418
    2. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1015
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?24
    4. O2 data roaming in France44

See more discussions