Security light help please.

LocalFound 7th Oct 2012
Hi guys, and gals, I've just got me a new security light with a pir on it, but it's too sensitive - I've tried sticking black insulating tape on the sensor, then when I couldn't sort it I tried small circular stickers in different places- but no joy. I'm trying to stop it going off every time someone goes by my house - I just want it to recocgnise when someone is in my driveway.
Any ideas how to make it less sensitive please.
Community Updates
Misc
13 Comments
I think you'll need to change the angle of the light -point it down a but more so its more focused on your drive
is there not a small screw on the pir to turn adjust the sensitivity??? might be on the back somewhere.
Turn the dial from the sunshine pic to the moon pic.

/thread.
Original Poster
ronniejames23

I think you'll need to change the angle of the light -point it down a but … I think you'll need to change the angle of the light -point it down a but more so its more focused on your drive

I was hoping there was an easier way. Thanks for the help though.
Original Poster
ThePasty

is there not a small screw on the pir to turn adjust the sensitivity??? … is there not a small screw on the pir to turn adjust the sensitivity??? might be on the back somewhere.

There's two small dials on the front - one is for how long the light stays on for - the other is the dawn to dusk one- but no sensitivity one - it cost about £20 from Argos . Thanks for your input.
Once you've adjusted the dials remember to turn off the power to the light for a couple of minutes and once you've turned it back on stay away from the pir for a few more minutes.
Should of checked the spec on the light.. ie... 5m pir sensitivity..ect

Then checked how far the light will be from the pavement.

Mine also goes off when people walk past but as its a LED solar power light i dont mind.
Original Poster
J4GG4

Should of checked the spec on the light.. ie... 5m pir … Should of checked the spec on the light.. ie... 5m pir sensitivity..ectThen checked how far the light will be from the pavement.Mine also goes off when people walk past but as its a LED solar power light i dont mind.

Hindsight would have sorted that . (_;) Cheers anyway.
Banned
SLIM_JIM

I was hoping there was an easier way. Thanks for the help though.

can it be any easier? takes 2 seconds to tilt it down! oO
transit

Turn the dial from the sunshine pic to the moon pic./thread.

That won't stop it detecting people walking by when it's dark. That will just adjust how dark it has to be before it works.

Op, like someone said, you need to direct it more downwards or put a piece of insulating tape horizontally across the top half of the sensor.
deek72

That won't stop it detecting people walking by when it's dark. That will … That won't stop it detecting people walking by when it's dark. That will just adjust how dark it has to be before it works.Op, like someone said, you need to direct it more downwards or put a piece of insulating tape horizontally across the top half of the sensor.

Yeah i realise that, the op posted this when it was still daylight hence my post.
best thing to do in this situation is get a seperate security light and PIR sensor, will cost slightly more but will do the trick just fine as you can set the angle on the standalone PIR very easy, also very easy to wire up.
deek72

That won't stop it detecting people walking by when it's dark. That will … That won't stop it detecting people walking by when it's dark. That will just adjust how dark it has to be before it works.Op, like someone said, you need to direct it more downwards or put a piece of insulating tape horizontally across the top half of the sensor.

Damn. I never thought of that
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions