Posted 30th Sep 2021
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a security safe that would fit neatly into a single compartment of the famous IKEA Kallax furniture unit?

The "squares" in a Kallax unit are just over 33 x 33 cm in size, with a depth of about 38 cm.

I can remove a shelf if needed, so the height is not necessarily limited to 33cm, but the width and depth can be no more than 33 cm and 38 cm.

(Trawling around Amazon for safes has not been very helpful, as lots of them seem to give conflicting details about the size and even swap the width and depth measurements around!)
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
You want to fit a ‘security safe’ into an mdf unit that someone could literally push over and the safe would break out of it on impact as its so cheaply made?
7 Comments
  1. Avatar
    You want to fit a ‘security safe’ into an mdf unit that someone could literally push over and the safe would break out of it on impact as its so cheaply made?
  2. Avatar
    Author
    deleted234448030/09/2021 22:56

You want to fit a ‘security safe’ into an mdf unit that someone could lit …You want to fit a ‘security safe’ into an mdf unit that someone could literally push over and the safe would break out of it on impact as its so cheaply made?

Most safes seem to have holes on the back for wall fixings. Blending it into a Kallax just seems a bit neater.
  3. Avatar
    Did you ever find a safe to fit kallax shelves?
  4. Avatar
    Author
    Luke_Lawrence10/01/2022 14:00

Did you ever find a safe to fit kallax shelves?

No, I don't think there are any that are sized to fit particularly well.
  5. Avatar
    You say you can remove a shelf, so height isn't an issue. I made mine so the individual pieces were uprights and the horizontals a single piece, did I do it wrong?
  6. Avatar
    Author
    tek-monkey10/01/2022 14:40

You say you can remove a shelf, so height isn't an issue. I made mine so …You say you can remove a shelf, so height isn't an issue. I made mine so the individual pieces were uprights and the horizontals a single piece, did I do it wrong?

I assume it doesn't really matter. The most obvious example is the 4x3 kallax unit that can be installed any way round.
  7. Avatar
    paul_merton10/01/2022 14:44

I assume it doesn't really matter. The most obvious example is the 4x3 …I assume it doesn't really matter. The most obvious example is the 4x3 kallax unit that can be installed any way round.

Good point! I just figured better to have the weight on one piece than on dowels, but like you say can be used in either orientation.
Post a comment
Top Merchants