Seed potatoes

Posted 15th Apr
Has anyone spotted seed potato’s in store? I’m sure supermarkets have had them in the past but no luck this year for me and all garden centres closed.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Wilko and Poundland
Too late
Suttons.co.uk are quite popular.
Try this as many local garden centres need support. They may have seed potatoes they will deliver. I got a delivery yesterday of compost, grow bags and a few plants. plantsnearme.hta.org.uk
Thanks everyone. Wilko is within walking distance so will give them a try
richard1916/04/2020 07:48

Thanks everyone. Wilko is within walking distance so will give them a try

Cool, they usually have a good selection. I assume you're not a novice, but if it is your first go, check out: life.wilko.com/a-g…es/
My father read something along the lines of:

If you have sprouting potatoes at home, just cut off the sprouting bit and plant that to grow more potatoes.

Suppose it works the same way as being a school with a bean, piece of paper towel and some water in a jar?
xenole16/04/2020 09:12

My father read something along the lines of:If you have sprouting potatoes …My father read something along the lines of:If you have sprouting potatoes at home, just cut off the sprouting bit and plant that to grow more potatoes.Suppose it works the same way as being a school with a bean, piece of paper towel and some water in a jar?

Tbh this is what I've always done.
I've read that overall the yield will be slightly less then proper certified seed potatoes, but they cost nothing and in my experience potatoes come back like weeds after the first year.

I literally just planted a bag of sprouted baby potatoes I found at the back of a cupboard.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions