Seeking Old Glasses (Spectacles) for Needy Kids & Adults

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place, or shouldn't be posted (please remove if I did wrong) but friends of mine work with very poor families abroad, members of which need glasses but have next to no chance of affording them. Old glasses could be given a second life and incredibly appreciated in places such as Turkey.

I was wondering if anyone can help - some contacts have walked into their local opticians and walked out with dozens of pairs (no not shoplifters! these are the original glasses people don't need when getting a new pair).

Any help, even one pair can change one life - if anyone can help, please PM me

Thanks! And thanks to HUKD mods for allowing if you do!

15 Comments

i have a pair - as got some new ones. pm me the details Lakeside

I'll see what i can find

and me let me have details

thanks for pm Lakeside - def want to help.

Original Poster

I hope Bossyboots won't mind me doing a quick copy & paste of the PM I sent her -

The people I know work for a charity in Turkey. Here is a local news item about it, they all do what they do for nothing, they are lovely ladies who are all retired out there in the sun and want to give something back.

fethiyetimes.com/new…tml

I go over 3-4 times a year and think the best way to get them over is to take a few less T shirts and take them myself.

Many thanks indeed for showing some interest!

if ur finding it hard to find try pound land i know there a quid but you could get a few maybe

csamual;8568049

if ur finding it hard to find try pound land i know there a quid but you … if ur finding it hard to find try pound land i know there a quid but you could get a few maybe

good idea - and I dont mind getting a couple of pairs myself to include with my own. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

As I vaguely mentioned, great success has been made just with people asking in their local Specsavers or D&A, something along the lines of "what happens to all the glasses people don't need anymore when they buy these lovely new styles you sell" - but also great help from local Tesco in-store opticians and similar.

But as mentioned, one pair literally ends up giving clear sight to one person - so one pair is all they need to change someone's life - every day of their life - forever.

Thanks for listening guys!!!

Banned

Lakeside;8568060

As I vaguely mentioned, great success has been made just with people … As I vaguely mentioned, great success has been made just with people asking in their local Specsavers or D&A, something along the lines of "what happens to all the glasses people don't need anymore when they buy these lovely new styles you sell" - but also great help from local Tesco in-store opticians and similar.But as mentioned, one pair literally ends up giving clear sight to one person - so one pair is all they need to change someone's life - every day of their life - forever.Thanks for listening guys!!!

do you need the prescription too? how do you know what glasses will fit the correct person? or do people try glasses on until they find one that they can see better with?

Original Poster

They have opticians locally who give up their time for free to check the person needing glasses is paired with the correct ones (or vice versa). To be honest I don't know everything, I'm just asking for any help over here we can get. Thanks.

Address to send them to please

What a nice idea - my daughter has a few old pairs I can send. Where do we send them or is it in the link above?

I know our local vision express give any unwanted Glasses to Vision Aid.

Banned

I already take mine to my local opticians who donate them.

DLM;8569304

I already take mine to my local opticians who donate them.

Me too, not sure if I have any around the house but will have a look. Usually donate them as I pick my next pair up
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846137
    2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2745
    3. How dangerous is Donald trump?1959
    4. Pink Balls613

See more discussions