Seems a like a good SSD deal from a reputable company, I'm thinking of buying this to plug into my LG smart tv

9 Comments
There is no 128GB SSD listed on that webpage.
Personally for a TV I'd just go with a USB stick instead of an SSD. You could get a 256GB 3.0 stick for £24 on Amazon.
amazon.co.uk/256…1-6

If you buy a SSD like that one for your TV you'd then need to buy a USB caddy for it.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 5th Jul
Haircut_10005/07/2020 22:02

Personally for a TV I'd just go with a USB stick instead of an SSD. You …Personally for a TV I'd just go with a USB stick instead of an SSD. You could get a 256GB 3.0 stick for £24 on Amazon.https://www.amazon.co.uk/256GB-memory-stick-SuperSpeed-Integral/dp/B01KMC7G7K/ref=sr_1_6?crid=LJSF3JGG1MNB&dchild=1&keywords=256gb+usb&qid=1593982902&s=computers&sprefix=256gb+%2Ccomputers%2C185&sr=1-6If you buy a SSD like that one for your TV you'd then need to buy a USB caddy for it.

I thought that too but not sure if the read / speed would be enough or as good compared to the SSD. Aside from money do you think there's a reason to get an usb over the SSD?
Dgkrs05/07/2020 22:45

I thought that too but not sure if the read / speed would be enough or as …I thought that too but not sure if the read / speed would be enough or as good compared to the SSD. Aside from money do you think there's a reason to get an usb over the SSD?

Even watching 4k content a usb 3.0 will run no problem direct in a TV

Reason he suggest memory stick is it's lot low profile sticking out then a usb to sata caddy in the TV

If you can't see any other future used for the SSD other then Tv I would go for the memory stick

Both versatile for future used anyway

Speed don't matter for content as it is all not being read at once
Dgkrs05/07/2020 22:45

I thought that too but not sure if the read / speed would be enough or as …I thought that too but not sure if the read / speed would be enough or as good compared to the SSD. Aside from money do you think there's a reason to get an usb over the SSD?

As said above, you don't have to worry about read and write speeds with a TV. A USB stick is nice and simple as you just plug it in to a USB port on your tv and it just sits there out of the way and does it's job of recording stuff or letting you watch back content. But with a SSD you'd need to spend maybe £8-10 on a caddy and then that has to sit somewhere. SSDs are great for running operating systems and other software on where you'll really see a speed difference over a spinning hard drive. But for just media files speed isn't so important, so you may as well go for a small little USB.
With my LG TV, some functions like timeshift only work with a usb hard drive, the firmware simply won't allow it with a usb stick, no matter how fast.
I was looking at that HDD too, but went with the Kingston A400 at the same price. Seems to get better benchmarking scores, although that may not be as important if you're just using it with a TV. Used Free5 to get it for £24.99.
melted06/07/2020 02:17

With my LG TV, some functions like timeshift only work with a usb hard …With my LG TV, some functions like timeshift only work with a usb hard drive, the firmware simply won't allow it with a usb stick, no matter how fast.

Yeah so I've read the same thing in other places, that's why I'm thinking of an SSD. I don't mind taping it to the back of the TV
Post a comment
@
    Text