Seen a quote for £1k to plaster home, Labour only. Anyone know how much roughly materials would be?

Found 22nd Apr 2012
Rough guide would be great for how much more on top of the £1000 I would be looking at for 3 bedrooms, hall, stairs and landing, bathroom, biggish living room and kitchen would be? Can't call guy till tomorrow, but if the materials will be more than im hoping then there is no point calling till after the holiday.
Community Updates
27 Comments
i think plaster comes in different prices depending on the type and how much you buy. i would ask him for a quote including materials then he can't add on fictional costs for materials that he never bought.
About Tree Fiddy
Original Poster
mutley1

i think plaster comes in different prices depending on the type and how … i think plaster comes in different prices depending on the type and how much you buy. i would ask him for a quote including materials then he can't add on fictional costs for materials that he never bought.

I will give him a ring in the morning, See after seeing quotes or around £600-£1k for the living room size i have a feeling we would be at least quadrupling that £1k lol
Banned
A large bag of multi finish is only about £5-6 at B&G and a large 25kg bad will cover about 10 sq mitres. Then you need to price up the cost of beading for outside edging/corners and window reveals and tape if plaster boards need the joins sealed and some PVA

Edited by: "slamdunkin" 22nd Apr 2012
Original Poster
oddballjamie

About Tree Fiddy

Ooh fab, sounds good
Pretty expensive quote.

Where about's are you based?
A guy i use is the best plasterer I have ever seen, cost £300 for our entire hallway and two rooms.
Original Poster
Swansea, tbh I haven't had anyone round properly yet to give 100% quote as we have the holiday soon, so just kind of estimating what to keep put aside. Thats a fab price for the 2 rooms and hallway.
Banned
is the quote for bear brickwork, skimming plaster board or a repair and skim existing plaster?

and does it include doing the ceilings too?
Banned
teh arn

Pretty expensive quote.Where about's are you based?A guy i use is the … Pretty expensive quote.Where about's are you based?A guy i use is the best plasterer I have ever seen, cost £300 for our entire hallway and two rooms.

I don't think £1000 labour is too bad for 6 rooms, hall, stairs and landing TBH. Does it inc ceilings?
Original Poster
colinsunderland

I don't think £1000 labour is too bad for 6 rooms, hall, stairs and … I don't think £1000 labour is too bad for 6 rooms, hall, stairs and landing TBH. Does it inc ceilings?

I think I will definatly have to give him a call as im not 100% at all. We are quite happy with the ceilings, so wouldn't really require them unless they needed to do it.

Deb8z yes we would be painting on it, so agree with what you say, I remember my friend having a family friend of hers do her wall and it was terrible once it was painted It would seem so much easier to wall paper, but I just like the clean feeling painted walls bring rather than wallpaper.
Original Poster
deb8z

You're not having it done all at once are you and living there too,one … You're not having it done all at once are you and living there too,one room at a time is bad enough X)

Was going to lol Didn't really think of the mess and hassle oO with 3 kids! May be a summer holiday job when I can send my kids to family!
Banned
If your painting do not PVA over the plaster before painting like some plasterers recommend....It's a load of rubbish. mist coat first,buy cheap emulsion and water it down by 30--40% and slap that on your walls it will be absorbed by the plaster and then you can paint you chosen colour over the top and it will bond properly to the wall.

Original Poster
Think I may have to look at this properly and just maybe do 1 room at a time, but keep same plasterer so he does us a deal for the whole house ending up done slowly but surely. Main room I want doing is the living room. Would be happy with that for a while.
bout tree fiddy
Cousin is a qualified plaster. He lives in Sheffield, otherwise I'm sure he would come South Wales and quote the job for you
My mum knows a really good plasterer who is reasonable from what I can gather, I'll get his number if you want Beth?
All new plaster requires a mist coat first. If you go with a heavy first full coat and painted over it again with the same colour or your chosen colour, after drying time was over you would be able to get beneath the first coat and start to peel off and expose the plaster.
Hit the new plaster with a 50/50 mix of emulsion and water first.
Original Poster
morrk

My mum knows a really good plasterer who is reasonable from what I can … My mum knows a really good plasterer who is reasonable from what I can gather, I'll get his number if you want Beth?

If you don't mind, that will be great, Can give him a call in a couple of weeks then for him to come and give us a quote. Thank you x
Banned
always put a wash coat on first unless you have money to burn as most fo the first coat would just sink into the plaster.
Banned
i paid £300 for large 2 living rooms inc labour and materials.hun you dont just need pkaster you need bonding and metal strips what go on every corner like chimny etc get more quotes
Banned
deb8z

No it doesn't,that's why it was better to use a good paint as I did this … No it doesn't,that's why it was better to use a good paint as I did this time.It doesn't sink in like cheap paint does.When I used cheap paint previously it just soaked it up so I had to do it more than once,it's a lot better to use decent paint first and you only have to do it once.But people will disagree no doubt,even though I've tried cheap paint and decent paint and I'd never use cheap paint as a first coat again as advised by the Plasterer,go for the good stuff

you are wrong. New plaster will always soak in. You just didnt notice it but would have used more good quality paint than necessary. Then again, you only needed one coat so saved you time. Swings & roundabouts really tbh
Banned
sofiasar

i paid £300 for large 2 living rooms inc labour and materials.hun you … i paid £300 for large 2 living rooms inc labour and materials.hun you dont just need pkaster you need bonding and metal strips what go on every corner like chimny etc get more quotes

only if its on brickwork, not a skim.
Banned
where and for what was the quote you saw?

how many square metres approximately?

source4me.co.uk/cal…php
Edited by: "casparwhite" 23rd Apr 2012
Original Poster
CW it was a board a plasterer has started to place on roundabouts and road sides. Just says £1000 labour only for full house.

Will take a look at that link.

Think I will definatly get a few quotes in tbh, hoping someone local will tip me off with a better one.
That's pretty cheap imo.

We've paid £300 per room (inc. ceilings) - but he did a very good job.

I'm sure he would have done it cheaper if we wanted the whole house doing, but 1k is mental. He's either bad, or just starting out and needs the money
beth3735

CW it was a board a plasterer has started to place on roundabouts and … CW it was a board a plasterer has started to place on roundabouts and road sides. Just says £1000 labour only for full house.Will take a look at that link. Think I will definatly get a few quotes in tbh, hoping someone local will tip me off with a better one.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, house come in all sizes. It just sounds like a scam to get you to call for a proper quote.
I can't believe all these posts just over a sign on a roundabout.
Is not how much the new plaster the will soak in the paint depend on how long you let the plaster dry? Wehn I got the bedroom re-plastered, we let it dry for about a month before we started painting. price wise, it all depends on the size of the rooms.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 23rd Apr 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions