Self-Employment Income Support Scheme now live.

Lead deal editor301
Posted 13th May
Hopefully this will help those who are self-employed, pretty straight forward for most but plently of help pages on Gov site if not

Self-Employment Income Support Scheme now live

You can check online to find out if you’re eligible to make a claim. Your tax agent or adviser can also check your eligibility on your behalf.

You’ll need your:

Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number - if you do not have this find out how to get your lost UTR number

National Insurance number - if you do not have this find out how to get your lost National Insurance number

The scheme will allow you to claim a taxable grant of 80% of your average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering 3 months, and capped at £7,500 altogether. This is a temporary scheme, but it may be extended.

If you receive the grant you can continue to work, start a new trade or take on other employment including voluntary work, or duties as an armed forces reservist.

The grant does not need to be repaid but will be subject to Income Tax and self-employed National Insurance.

There is other support available if you’re not eligible for the grant.

HMRC will work out if you’re eligible and how much grant you may get. But you can follow these steps to help you understand how we will do this and what you can do now.

If you’re eligible

Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you check your eligibility or make your claim

UK bank details (only provide bank account details where a Bacs payment can be accepted) including:
bank account number
sort code
name on the account
your address linked to your bank account

You’ll have to confirm to HMRC that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus.

If you’re not eligible

We have used the information you or your tax agent or adviser sent us on your Self Assessment tax returns to work out your eligibility.

If you submitted your returns between 26 March 2020 and 23 April 2020 check your eligibility again as the online service has been updated.
Community Updates
GOV.UK DealsMisc

Groups

Top comments
groenleader13/05/2020 09:49

Life on the "lough" we have never had it so good! 80% money 0% …Life on the "lough" we have never had it so good! 80% money 0% work!!Families have never had so much time to enjoy each other, I am glad this has been extended to self employed!

Not sure how enjoyable it's going to have been for those self employed who have had zero income for the last 6 week and not be able to feed there families.
This is great news for all those self employed who self assess and pay TAX/NI every year without fail.

I don't have much sympathy for those self employed who don't follow the rules and dont pay into the system. If you cannot prove an income how can you expect to claim money back
About time they did this for self employed workers. People have to live.

At the same time, those who've had Furlough monies should have to pay them back in years to come IMO, a small furlough tax when things return to normal would be more than fair, similar to a student loan - because expecting people who are working many hours now (lots unpaid) to pay for it is absolutely not fair.
Bigcats3013/05/2020 11:43

Weird how the people so smart in supposedly knowing better than the …Weird how the people so smart in supposedly knowing better than the Government doesn't even do something like save some money.....which the Government have been telling you to do since you were literally born.

Sounds like this serf believes the people in government have some supreme intelligence, like the world is some kind of meritocracy.

To break this down for you, you know how the government rely on advisors to justify their position, when their non-specific rhetoric can't? And you know how those people are most often professors, or doctors that studied and have come from university? And you know how anyone can go to university (now providing you have enough money or are prepared to take on massive, crippling debt if you're in England) and study hard to get a qualification? And you know how many people, perhaps that same person given other circumstances or somebody in their family, don't want to go to university, or can actually make a living doing something they enjoy without going to university? And how they're all just normal people?

Well, the point is - there is nothing to say you're not smarter than anyone in the government. Their position means nothing to intelligence. You're a mug if you believe everyone dressed in a suit is smarter than you.

Now on your point; nobody was saving for a coronavirus epidemic, nobody would have imagined the economy shutting down, we all pay taxes and this is just our money returning to us, we bailed out the banks for no reason and for much more money. Lives matter. Stay indoors this weekend and forget your neighbourhood conga.
301 Comments
Life on the "lough" we have never had it so good!

80% money 0% work!!

Families have never had so much time to enjoy each other, I am glad this has been extended to self employed!
Edited by: "groenleader" 13th May

Life on the "lough" we have never had it so good! 80% money 0% …Life on the "lough" we have never had it so good! 80% money 0% work!!Families have never had so much time to enjoy each other, I am glad this has been extended to self employed!

Not sure how enjoyable it's going to have been for those self employed who have had zero income for the last 6 week and not be able to feed there families.
myusernamehasgone23413/05/2020 09:54

Not sure how enjoyable it's going to have been for those self employed who …Not sure how enjoyable it's going to have been for those self employed who have had zero income for the last 6 week and not be able to feed there families.

Your not sure and I doubt there were many, certainty plenty of food banks etc. on offer for support for those who cannot feed themselves or their families.

Most of all, they had access to food and they had time together. Look on the Brightside of life, Brits are going to have lose the 'tude if they are wanting to get on new world now!
Edited by: "groenleader" 13th May
groenleader13/05/2020 09:59

Your not sure and I doubt there were many, certainty plenty of food banks …Your not sure and I doubt there were many, certainty plenty of food banks etc. on offer for support for those who cannot feed themselves or their families. Most of all, they had access to food and they had time together. Look on the Brightside of life, Brits are going to have lose the 'tude if they are wanting to get on new world now!

Things are certainly going to be very different now and it will be important to adapt, and a positive attitude will definitely help as you said.
Thanks @Dan_82 for the info
So you’re not eligible for anything if you started self employment from 2019-20?
My partner is self employed. At the moment we are entitled to universal credit as he can’t work. I’m guessing it’s one(the self employed grant) or the other(universal credit) ?
aj215213/05/2020 11:02

So you’re not eligible for anything if you started self employment from 2 …So you’re not eligible for anything if you started self employment from 2019-20?

Yes. Universal credit.
joolz2413/05/2020 11:36

My partner is self employed. At the moment we are entitled to universal …My partner is self employed. At the moment we are entitled to universal credit as he can’t work. I’m guessing it’s one(the self employed grant) or the other(universal credit) ?

I'm sure I read in the Martin Lewis email this morning that you can claim both, but depending on how much grant you get will bring down how much universal credit you get?
Try going on Martin Lewis website I'm sure you'll find the answer there

My partner is self employed. At the moment we are entitled to universal …My partner is self employed. At the moment we are entitled to universal credit as he can’t work. I’m guessing it’s one(the self employed grant) or the other(universal credit) ?

The grant is classed as taxable income/earnings, so I think in most (if not all) cases UC will not be claimable. How that works for UC you have already claimed since the end of March, I don't know sorry. They would probably look to reclaim it at a later date - I'm not saying that is a fact, just my own thoughts. Worth bearing in mind though!

Not sure how enjoyable it's going to have been for those self employed who …Not sure how enjoyable it's going to have been for those self employed who have had zero income for the last 6 week and not be able to feed there families.

Weird how the people so smart in supposedly knowing better than the Government doesn't even do something like save some money.....which the Government have been telling you to do since you were literally born.

Great point!
aj215213/05/2020 11:02

So you’re not eligible for anything if you started self employment from 2 …So you’re not eligible for anything if you started self employment from 2019-20?

Thats why you can claim UC.....
Bigcats3013/05/2020 11:43

Weird how the people so smart in supposedly knowing better than the …Weird how the people so smart in supposedly knowing better than the Government doesn't even do something like save some money.....which the Government have been telling you to do since you were literally born.

But any saved money has quickly devalued. On average inflation rate has outstripped interest rate on savings over the last 10 years!

Ah yes, meanwhile my family is 253 miles down country, my other family are scattered around the city, I can see precisely none of them and have been confined to my flat for the last 6-7 weeks... Such enjoyment
Bigcats3013/05/2020 11:45

Thats why you can claim UC.....

But not if they have over certain amount in savings or a partner earns over a certain value.

Your taxed as an individual in the UK, but benefits are not metered out by the same measure!

No system is perfect but better here by a country mile then most other compareable places!
About time they did this for self employed workers. People have to live.

At the same time, those who've had Furlough monies should have to pay them back in years to come IMO, a small furlough tax when things return to normal would be more than fair, similar to a student loan - because expecting people who are working many hours now (lots unpaid) to pay for it is absolutely not fair.

No he can still claim for the grant if he had trading profits in 18/19 that made up over 50% of his total income check the eligibility checker on gov.uk
This is great news for all those self employed who self assess and pay TAX/NI every year without fail.

I don't have much sympathy for those self employed who don't follow the rules and dont pay into the system. If you cannot prove an income how can you expect to claim money back
I started my Self Employed business back in 2016, and have returns submitted up until April 2020. In February of 2020 I made the transition to move over towards a Ltd.

I have been impacted financially by Covid-19. The government support checker is saying I'm eligible for the Grant. However with the majority of my income now being paid into my Ltd. account, and no longer my personal account can I still apply?
I checked the other day and I am eligible to claim, but they said the would contact you when you can make the claim but as yet I havnt heard anything from hmrc. Has anyone else not been contacted?

The grant is classed as (taxable) income, so you will have to declare it to UC and it will more than likely stop UC credit payments. Every £ you earn you lose £0.63.

So, if you're a taxi driver (as an example) it will read something like this when they ask for your business income over the previous 4 weeks..

Mon. £23.50
Tues. £34.75
Weds. £42.00
Thurs. £3,352.67
Fri. £23.87

That grant payout will stop any UC payments that wound normally be due.
I received my email the other day and was told I would be able to claim pretty much 4 minutes ago.

Sort of confused where to claim or if they get in touch.

Not been a lot of fun for me, 7 weeks no wage, not entitled to any government help, also work in hospitality and my industry won’t be up for another 7 weeks .... suicide rates up over 700% not that the gov will tell you that
Edited by: "chappersndave" 13th May
Chick_TheLoaf13/05/2020 12:04

I received my email the other day and was told I would be able to claim …I received my email the other day and was told I would be able to claim pretty much 4 minutes ago.Sort of confused where to claim or if they get in touch.

The email is self explaining.
terry8251713/05/2020 12:01

I checked the other day and I am eligible to claim, but they said the …I checked the other day and I am eligible to claim, but they said the would contact you when you can make the claim but as yet I havnt heard anything from hmrc. Has anyone else not been contacted?

gov.uk/gui…eme

Enter your UTR and NI number here and it will give you a date and time you can claim.
Arranx13/05/2020 11:58

I started my Self Employed business back in 2016, and have returns …I started my Self Employed business back in 2016, and have returns submitted up until April 2020. In February of 2020 I made the transition to move over towards a Ltd.I have been impacted financially by Covid-19. The government support checker is saying I'm eligible for the Grant. However with the majority of my income now being paid into my Ltd. account, and no longer my personal account can I still apply?

The way i understand it.. you claim. It will be taxable income. As limited company you will be paying yourself a salary as normal. Speak to your accountant

I am self employed but I receive the state pension, not the full pension because I have a few years missing. Since the lockdown I have received pension credit, council tax and housing benefit. I might add I have never been on benefits before and was at first reluctant to apply for any of these but I had no option. I have been looking into how my self employed grant will affect this, I believe that the grant counts as income only for the month you receive it I will have to inform the relevant departments and benefits will then stop. If I am not working the following month I think I can go back on these benefits. I would imagine this would also apply to universal credit and I read you won't have to wait so long. Please don't take this as gospel but from what I've read this is the impression I've got. Hope this helps.
Azwipe13/05/2020 12:12

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme#eligibleEnter your UTR and NI number here and it will give you a date and time you can claim.

Date and time should be the same for everyone.. 15th May 8am.
5nowman13/05/2020 12:15

Date and time should be the same for everyone.. 15th May 8am.

Mine is the 14th, some are today. People have different times so the website doesn't crash.
Do I need to have lost money to claim it? I work for my parents for 50p an hour
"You can claim if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and all of the following apply:

you traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that year
you traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020
you intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021
you carry on a trade which has been adversely affected by coronavirus"

How unfair is this? Companies founded this year face for sure harder times to stay alive than others that worked since 2018 or before that managed to accumulate savings over time and customers. This year's companies probably have nothing to work on due to all the investment made and no revenue. I don't get this policy. Does this makes sense to you?
You will be able to claim from midday on 15 May 2020!!! It is not live yet, you are only able to check if eligible or not.
Edited by: "laccc" 13th May
Azwipe13/05/2020 12:20

Mine is the 14th, some are today. People have different times so the …Mine is the 14th, some are today. People have different times so the website doesn't crash.

Oh Cool. Didn't know. Go well?
What did they ask for?
hugocore13/05/2020 12:20

"You can claim if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a p …"You can claim if you’re a self-employed individual or a member of a partnership and all of the following apply:you traded in the tax year 2018 to 2019 and submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020 for that yearyou traded in the tax year 2019 to 2020you intend to continue to trade in the tax year 2020 to 2021you carry on a trade which has been adversely affected by coronavirus"How unfair is this? Companies founded this year face for sure harder times to stay alive than others that worked since 2018 or before that managed to accumulate savings over time and customers. This year's companies probably have nothing to work on due to all the investment made and no revenue. I don't get this policy. Does this makes sense to you?

He said it was to reduce fraud, same reason those who were only just employed prior to lockdown are not eligible for furlough scheme.
It says you can claim and continue to work but also says only eligible if your work has been affected by the crisis, which is it?
40733342-H2LXe.jpg
laccc13/05/2020 12:24

You will be able to claim from midday on 15 May 2020!!! It is not live …You will be able to claim from midday on 15 May 2020!!! It is not live yet, you are only able to check if eligible or not.

You're wrong. I can claim from midday tomorrow. A friend could claim this morning. People are allocated dates and times.
Edited by: "Aaurora" 13th May
laccc13/05/2020 12:24

You will be able to claim from midday on 15 May 2020!!! It is not live …You will be able to claim from midday on 15 May 2020!!! It is not live yet, you are only able to check if eligible or not.

Wrong. My claim date was from midday today and my claim has just been accepted with the money coming to me within 6 days. It will tell you how much you will get paid before you submit it. Took less than 5 mins.
5nowman13/05/2020 12:26

Oh Cool. Didn't know. Go well?What did they ask for?

You just enter your UTR and NI numbers and it tells you if are eligible. You then just need to enter your bank details when you are allocated a date and time.
terry8251713/05/2020 12:01

I checked the other day and I am eligible to claim, but they said the …I checked the other day and I am eligible to claim, but they said the would contact you when you can make the claim but as yet I havnt heard anything from hmrc. Has anyone else not been contacted?

I also didn't receive any contact from HMRC telling me about this but went onto the eligibility checker which confirmed I was eligible and just submitted my claim and it has all gone through. The dates you can claim from are staggered so some people will be able to claim from tomorrow or Friday instead of today.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions