Expired

Self print passport photos

Found 7th Jan
Apparently Boots don't do the cheap print your your own photo in passport size anymore I tried 2 stores and both times they said the smallest is 4x4", which is a shame as it only used cost about 40p compared to £5 in the photo booths.
Does anyone else know where you can get the passport size photos cheap maybe in a self service photo printers?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
That’s why they stopped doing them, why charge 40p for something they can get £5 for!
Asda with photo counters if they still exist. One near mine closed a bit ago, not sure if they closed them all.
If the photo is for a passport you can apply online and upload your photo so no need to print.
Skaman12 m ago

If the photo is for a passport you can apply online and upload your photo …If the photo is for a passport you can apply online and upload your photo so no need to print.

I thought about this, but was wondering wouldn't they want a recent pic as passports usually run for 10 years? I know I've changed since my last passport (no improvement unfortunately)
SerpentSuicide18 m ago

Asda with photo counters if they still exist. One near mine closed a bit …Asda with photo counters if they still exist. One near mine closed a bit ago, not sure if they closed them all.

Yes that's an idea - thanks. I've got an Asda near me
t4r10 m ago

I thought about this, but was wondering wouldn't they want a recent pic as …I thought about this, but was wondering wouldn't they want a recent pic as passports usually run for 10 years? I know I've changed since my last passport (no improvement unfortunately)

It would be a recent pic because you'd have just taken it yourself?
parsimony1 h, 13 m ago

It would be a recent pic because you'd have just taken it yourself?

Lol yes of course it would. What a plonker - I was thinking they'd use your last passport pic. Thanks for clearing that up
Sorry to go about this but how does the photo testimony bit work? When sending actual pics you'd have someone countersign them on the reverse testifying that the pic was a true likeness of the applicant.
t4r11 m ago

Sorry to go about this but how does the photo testimony bit work? When …Sorry to go about this but how does the photo testimony bit work? When sending actual pics you'd have someone countersign them on the reverse testifying that the pic was a true likeness of the applicant.

if you renew on line, i don't believe that you need anyone to countersign? as far as i understand, you only need countersign on renewal if you have changed to such an extent that you bear no resemblance to the photo on the expired passport. to me this means that you have had a sex change or a disfigurement accident!
mutley115 m ago

if you renew on line, i don't believe that you need anyone to countersign? …if you renew on line, i don't believe that you need anyone to countersign? as far as i understand, you only need countersign on renewal if you have changed to such an extent that you bear no resemblance to the photo on the expired passport. to me this means that you have had a sex change or a disfigurement accident!

Thanks mutley1. I might not be like a fine wine but things ain't THAT bad that I need a sex change....yet.
t4r9 m ago

Thanks mutley1. I might not be like a fine wine but things ain't THAT bad …Thanks mutley1. I might not be like a fine wine but things ain't THAT bad that I need a sex change....yet.

i understand that they use retina recognition technology to identify you from your passport when in use, so the way i reckon, is that unless your eyes have changed from the photo in your previous passport, they will be able to verify that you are still the same person in the new photo
I don't think it's that specific.
More like taking relative measurements of the spacing between key facial features.
t4r2 h, 16 m ago

Sorry to go about this but how does the photo testimony bit work? When …Sorry to go about this but how does the photo testimony bit work? When sending actual pics you'd have someone countersign them on the reverse testifying that the pic was a true likeness of the applicant.

You only need to renew your photograph if you've changed from the existing photo on your passport, in which case you need the rear of the photo countersigned by a doctor etc.
mutley12 h, 26 m ago

if you renew on line, i don't believe that you need anyone to countersign? …if you renew on line, i don't believe that you need anyone to countersign? as far as i understand, you only need countersign on renewal if you have changed to such an extent that you bear no resemblance to the photo on the expired passport. to me this means that you have had a sex change or a disfigurement accident!

Mine was initially rejected because in my old passport photo I was wearing glasses, in the new one I wasn't. Then was rejected because my hairline has receded (I went and put my glasses on - normally wear contacts now) and they made me post with countersign. Funny though as driving licence has the same photograph rules, they accepted my first picture fine (both where up within few weeks of each other).
cecilmcroberts26 m ago

Mine was initially rejected because in my old passport photo I was wearing …Mine was initially rejected because in my old passport photo I was wearing glasses, in the new one I wasn't. Then was rejected because my hairline has receded (I went and put my glasses on - normally wear contacts now) and they made me post with countersign. Funny though as driving licence has the same photograph rules, they accepted my first picture fine (both where up within few weeks of each other).

I am surprised that you having less hair would make it harder for them to verify that you are the same person.

I can understand that you wearing glasses in the previous photo made it difficult.

My parents never got asked for countersign even when my dad stopped wearing glasses in the new photo and went bald.

You must have been unlucky and came across a pedantic issuing officer.
You need a new photo when you apply for a renewal passport, it only needs to be countersigned if you can't be recognised from the original photo.
andynicol13 h, 29 m ago

You only need to renew your photograph if you've changed from the existing …You only need to renew your photograph if you've changed from the existing photo on your passport, in which case you need the rear of the photo countersigned by a doctor etc.

You need a new photo every time you renew your passport that's the whole point of renewing to make sure the pic is up to date.

You however only need the back signed if you have changed significantly from your last passport photo hence why kids passports mostly need countersigning.
Skaman16 h, 57 m ago

You need a new photo when you apply for a renewal passport, it only needs …You need a new photo when you apply for a renewal passport, it only needs to be countersigned if you can't be recognised from the original photo.

adhkarzf8 h, 40 m ago

You need a new photo every time you renew your passport that's the whole …You need a new photo every time you renew your passport that's the whole point of renewing to make sure the pic is up to date. You however only need the back signed if you have changed significantly from your last passport photo hence why kids passports mostly need countersigning.

Apologies, my bad.
do it online its easy and guides you through it step by step on how to take your own photo, what to include in the photo and how to upload it, it then crops the image for your final approval, i was very impressed with the service considering its a government department
ding26 m ago

do it online its easy and guides you through it step by step on how to …do it online its easy and guides you through it step by step on how to take your own photo, what to include in the photo and how to upload it, it then crops the image for your final approval, i was very impressed with the service considering its a government department

To be fair I think the government sites are great compared to say Indian government sites. They firstly don't make sense, the simplest thing is complicated and they expect you to jump through hoops to get things done. Hands down .gov sites are great compared to some other countries that I've had to use. You only appreciate how good you've got it when you have to use something worse.
I have just done mine online, no issue at all.
I've done it online and as everyone has said it really was quick and easy.
Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants