Self Promotion Is It really So Bad??

Found 9th Aug 2012
Now i've just come across a couple of screaming bargains from a site which is banned, presumably due to self promotion.
Now the question is are members missing out on these just because of a rule that doesn't seem to make much sense at the moment.
I mean deals got voted cold on here all the time for strange reasons, this can be damaging to a company and sometimes its a bit unfair so why not just throw self promoters to the same sort of lions den anyway?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

Sites only get banned if they are dodge and if they need self promotion then they probably are exactly that.

The problem is if it was allowed companies would flood the site with non-deals and use it as a free advertising board, the idea of the site is to help each other spot true bargains and deals.

tallpete33

Sites only get banned if they are dodge and if they need self promotion … Sites only get banned if they are dodge and if they need self promotion then they probably are exactly that.

ebuyer fit that bill? as they got banned at one point.

I imagine there is a conflict of interest if self promotion is done here. Regardless of whether its a hot deal. Site should stay consumer constructed
Edited by: "abch4" 9th Aug 2012

scan?

Ive no problem with it. It works on other forums so theres no reason it shouldnt work here.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

As above, if it was allowed we'd get the inventory of every retailer … As above, if it was allowed we'd get the inventory of every retailer posted on here. Site would die.

would they tho? the post creation is a time consuming thing, a simple capcha and moderation would stop that easily

should still be allowed to post deals from these sites, if they are genuine bargains, people should know about them.

what was this site called again? hot uk? errrrr?

Typical HUKD!! It's rubbish.

Banned

tallpete33

Sites only get banned if they are dodge and if they need self promotion … Sites only get banned if they are dodge and if they need self promotion then they probably are exactly that.

Or they don't give enough back...

tallpete33

Well that's a load of rubbish because scan has recently been banned for self promotion

Original Poster

abch4

I imagine there is a conflict of interest if self promotion is done here. … I imagine there is a conflict of interest if self promotion is done here. Regardless of whether its a hot deal. Site should stay consumer constructed

surely its a conflict of interest to show deals that may not be so hot because they cant prove it was self promotion and there must be a fair amount of that so we get poorer deals reaching hotter levels cos the person was crafty and joined/posted from workers house or internet cafe?

Just out of curiosity, mighty deals?

maddogb

surely its a conflict of interest to show deals that may not be so hot … surely its a conflict of interest to show deals that may not be so hot because they cant prove it was self promotion and there must be a fair amount of that so we get poorer deals reaching hotter levels cos the person was crafty and joined/posted from workers house or internet cafe?

You can only officially regulate the site, im sure there are those crafty types you speak of. but there's nothing you can do about that. Self promotion would slowly turn into 'sponsored' promotion, and that would be a sad day for hukd

I dont think sites get banned for SP, its more than likely they're a dodgey site where you could end up losing your cash, or they might be selling fake gear.

Original Poster

generaloneill

Just out of curiosity, mighty deals?

well a cosair 240GB ssd for 126 +delivery and a laptop combi blu ray drive for 30,,, seemed decent to me
^^edited long day!
Edited by: "maddogb" 10th Aug 2012

self promotion happens 100's of times a day on here

for example the obvious tesco managers who keep posting deals for stuff which is incorrectly priced on purpose, resulting in mass traffic to their site and every single order always getting cancelled

Banned

bigflump

I dont think sites get banned for SP, its more than likely they're a … I dont think sites get banned for SP, its more than likely they're a dodgey site where you could end up losing your cash, or they might be selling fake gear.

Rubbish
Zavvi do exactly what you have said, they aren't banned. Scan aren't dodgy at all, yet they are banned for self promotion.

"Scan is banned" (from 9 days ago):
[ hotukdeals.com/mis…560 ]

kunyk

I also noticed a while ago, that when you post links in comments, some … I also noticed a while ago, that when you post links in comments, some like ebuyer are posted immediately, while some like CCL need "approval".why is that?

What is the first rule of Banned Club?...

"Why are CCLonline in the DO NOT POST club?"

...You cannot discuss Banned Club.

However, juliet_bravo mentioned CCL (Online) in her reply here:

[ hotukdeals.com/fee…467 ]

---

Also see:
"Why is SCAN banned?"

"Question Why is Scan banned?"

"Will you ever unban Scan?"

"Why are deals for Toys R Us banned?"

etc.

It's well known that some retailers will never be banned because of affiliate links (hello Amazon).

It's sad that major sites are often banned who don't play the affiliate game: ebuyer / scan / CCL
- and they're very often cheaper than "Hot Deals".

You may not be aware how deep this goes:
for years moderators have been posting "deals" sent direct to them by the retailers,
yet never mentioning this in the deal thread.

3 years ago:
hotukdeals.com/fee…075?page=3

Admin

a merchant may have an offer that is genuinely good. Merchants to put … a merchant may have an offer that is genuinely good. Merchants to put their offers forward to us. The mods will read it and see if it's any good, if it's not they don't put it up.

Edited by: "mikerr" 10th Aug 2012

Original Poster

Umm the more i think about the likelyhood of retailers constantly spamming the site with loads of deals that aren't hot,, the more i like it, they will go quickly into freezing terrritory and show us at a glance who not to deal with.
Or on the other hand it might result in we have pages of loss leaders swamping out the idiots who post a pc at £200 above the going rate and then ask "is this a deal?"
Edited by: "maddogb" 10th Aug 2012

mikerr

...for years moderators have been posting "deals" sent direct to them by … ...for years moderators have been posting "deals" sent direct to them by the retailers, yet never mentioning this in the deal thread...

...much like every other member from time-to-time.

(Also [over] 3 years ago)...

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…617 ]

nuabdi

we (members) are already paying to use HUKD !!! ...we're the ones who … we (members) are already paying to use HUKD !!! ...we're the ones who work hard finding the deal and posted it here and HUKD collect the affiliatiion fees!! they have to pay the server etc but i bet it is still profitable :-)

juliet_bravo

A huge amount of time, resources and effort has gone into making the site … A huge amount of time, resources and effort has gone into making the site as successful as it is. In an ideal scenario it would be awesome if we had links in place for every single merchant on here- in reality that's not the case, yes there are affiliate links in place for some merchants but you'd be surprised at the huge amount of merchants who we don't have links in place for.The moderators here also work really hard at sourcing deals and put a lot into making this site work. We do have a great member base here and some members post up consistantly awesome deals, that's what makes this site a huge as it is- indeed if the site wanted to cash in, we could rock some ads and banners- but then it wouldn't be the same, would it? That's not what we're about, Hotukdeals.com is successful because of the deals and because of the community

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions