Expired

Self scan at Tesco, waitrose - do people pinch stuff?

Found 28th Aug 2013
Just noticed this story telegraph.co.uk/new…tml

The Duchess appeared to have taken advantage of the store’s Quick Check system, by which shoppers use a hand-held device to scan purchases as they go. They then present the scanner at a special till and pay. The system lets customers monitor what they are spending as well as saving time at the checkout, although the bill is unlikely to have been a big concern for the Duchess.

So do people pinch stuff then? Presumably there would be no point to this system if a check out doll has to look at every item you declared and reconcile it with what's in your bag?
Community Updates
Top comments
goldmax

Ban them from the store if caught even once .....BAN THEM

To be fair to Anthony Worrall Thompson the sign at the self-checkout said Swipe Here ...
53 Comments
I think they can check the contents in your trolley with the scanner by the weight. So if the weight of your shopping is more than what the scanner shows, then you have 'pinched' something.
We were talking about this at work recently. No one said they would nick anything but have eaten pic n mix or grapes etc whilst walking around the stores but it was unanimous that there would be far more shame if you got caught stealing from Asda, Tesco, Lidl than if you got caught stealing from Sainsburys or Waitrose, which is odd really as they are all the same type of store.
Waitrose and Sainsbury are aspirational. Only the better class of shoplifter frequents those stores. Chavs steal from the other three.
I got home the other night, dropped my trousers and showed my wife my meat and two veg.

She giggled and winked at me.

I know it's wrong to shoplift, but we were both hungry ...
I once saw someone in Morrison's with a massive bag of pick n mix, and I mean massive, weigh it on the self service machine as onions, think he paid about 60p for it.

Sneaky theft more acceptable?
sancho1983

I once saw someone in Morrison's with a massive bag of pick n mix, and I … I once saw someone in Morrison's with a massive bag of pick n mix, and I mean massive, weigh it on the self service machine as onions, think he paid about 60p for it. Sneaky theft more acceptable?

theft by deception or something? thats worse in some ways.

people always nick stuff, they are scum
Tesco perform random checks, every so often a cashier will scan a few of your items to check you are scanning everything.

They have obviously weighed up the advantage of processing more shoppers vs losing a few items. The random checks help deter thieves, you have to be a club card holder too.

I don't really see what any of the has to do with Kate Middleton though,but its good to see her doing her own shopping and buying pizza, I just wish she was at Tesco or Lidl
brilly

theft by deception or something? thats worse in some ways.people always … theft by deception or something? thats worse in some ways.people always nick stuff, they are scum

Certainly shows that they really are intending to do it.
Also, having just read that article I must say it's full of ****.

Who cares? She's buying wine? So. She's not with the baby? So.

She probably had a dump before she left the house and picked her nose on the way. She's just a human being
sancho1983

Certainly shows that they really are intending to do it.

'oh i pressed the wrong button sorry!'
I work at morrisons and caught a couple weigh cherries as onions when I pointed out there error they decided they didn't want the cherries, which were about 6.20 instead of about 80p.

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Anthony-Worrall-Thompson.jpg
goldmax

To be fair to Anthony Worrall Thompson the sign at the self-checkout said Swipe Here ...
john2020md

To be fair to Anthony Worrall Thompson the sign at the self-checkout … To be fair to Anthony Worrall Thompson the sign at the self-checkout said Swipe Here ...

Saw you were the latest to post, came straight in for the joke lol.
You just have to be inconspicuous

http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article3268746.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/cctv-allerton-road-300-40219981-3268746.jpg
the pinnacle of hot deals...buy none get some free
We have issues with (and I quote security here) "Eastern Europeans" coming in, filling a trolley full of spirits and literally just walking out.

If they get stopped before the exit they just abandon the trolley and casually walk off.
RossD89

You just have to be inconspicuous

Stealing from Home Bargains? How low does it get?

sancho1983

I once saw someone in Morrison's with a massive bag of pick n mix, and I … I once saw someone in Morrison's with a massive bag of pick n mix, and I mean massive, weigh it on the self service machine as onions, think he paid about 60p for it.

I have often had the opposite happen to me in Tesco. The self scanner frequently 'loses' several non-scannable store items - typically in-store bakery products and the like, so you have to find an equivalent which always costs a little more.
brilly

theft by deception or something? thats worse in some ways.people always … theft by deception or something? thats worse in some ways.people always nick stuff, they are scum

Is Stealing the moral high ground any different ?
Edited by: "Bumpydog" 28th Aug 2013
Bumpydog

Is Stealing the moral high ground any different ?

you may have to humour me with an explanation
Safeways used to have a similar system a while back although they apparently abandoned it due to people nicking too many items. A friend who worked there at the time said they way they worked it is every customer was on a certain grade which determined how likely they were to get rescanned when going through the till. Lower grades were more likely to get checked and each time the scan matched what the customer had scanned, they would go up a grade and less likely to get rescanned.

The problem was that apparently people would stick a couple of expensive bottles of alcohol and similar underneath and accidentally forget to scan them, in time the probabilities for getting rescanned kept increasing so even those who had always been correct with their scans had a reasonable probability of getting rescanned which made the system pointless.

From what I've seen of the Tesco system it seems a lot smarter, rather than go for a full rescan instead they just scan five or so items and each time I've seen it they've looked for high value items such as bottles of wine. I would expect this is just as effective as scanning everything but it's much quicker and it saves having to unpack and repack everything.

John
I've never but after reading these comments i feel like i might as well.
i saw these hand-held scanners at waitrose in putney high street but i didn't have time to learn how they worked.
I always make a point of paying what I owe when a cashier makes a mistake.

Having said that, one dimbo till doll just rang thru 1 can of beer when I had 24 on show this summer & I must admit I put it straight in the car lol
williebiz

I always make a point of paying what I owe when a cashier makes a … I always make a point of paying what I owe when a cashier makes a mistake.Having said that, one dimbo till doll just rang thru 1 can of beer when I had 24 on show this summer & I must admit I put it straight in the car lol

So you lie as well as steal?
MadeDixonsCry

So you lie as well as steal?

Nope didn't realise until 2 days later! lol
williebiz

I always make a point of paying what I owe when a cashier makes a … I always make a point of paying what I owe when a cashier makes a mistake.Having said that, one dimbo till doll just rang thru 1 can of beer when I had 24 on show this summer & I must admit I put it straight in the car lol

Thief.
DestinyCalls815

Thief.

Nope I went back to customer services straight away and paid the difference.
williebiz

Nope I went back to customer services straight away and paid the … Nope I went back to customer services straight away and paid the difference.

http://t.qkme.me/3vmg7t.jpg
williebiz

williebiz

Nope didn't realise until 2 days later! lol

williebiz

Nope I went back to customer services straight away and paid the … Nope I went back to customer services straight away and paid the difference.

So which is true? Sounds like you realised and put it straight in your car, so how did you only realise 2 days later? And if you had paid straight away you would have done it at the till or as you was passing CS in store.
Edited by: "RossD89" 28th Aug 2013
[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PZa0MTXTEbk/TG1c1urogyI/AAAAAAAAAbc/8Yx8iDVjIFo/s1600/You've+been+had.jpg[/img]
It's all true, I put it in the car but realised 2 days later I had been undercharged so went back to pay the difference.
DestinyCalls815

Bye bye
Miaow
Undercharged by 23 cans of beer and didn't notice when paying?

Beer must be cheap these days.
Puss puss
brilly

you may have to humour me with an explanation

Have only just saw your reply. Scum if you steal?.
Just where you want to lead this thread? By virtue of your moral superiority, you believe you are above the mistakes of lesser, failed people. 'The Moral High Ground', acting as some morally superior means never having to say you're wrong.
Bumpydog

Have only just saw your reply. Scum if you steal?. Just where you want to … Have only just saw your reply. Scum if you steal?. Just where you want to lead this thread? By virtue of your moral superiority, you believe you are above the mistakes of lesser, failed people. 'The Moral High Ground', acting as some morally superior means never having to say you're wrong.

How many people steal from supermarkets for food they and their children are desperate for? Not many i reckon. All programmes I have seen on shoplifters are those that steal expensive or luxury items. Of course there are exceptions, those with mental health problems or addicts who steal to sell, but on the whole most steal because they have a lack of morals and are, thieving scum bags.
Bumpydog

Have only just saw your reply. Scum if you steal?. Just where you want to … Have only just saw your reply. Scum if you steal?. Just where you want to lead this thread? By virtue of your moral superiority, you believe you are above the mistakes of lesser, failed people. 'The Moral High Ground', acting as some morally superior means never having to say you're wrong.

yes i am above a thief and thats a fact, you even called them 'lesser' so are saying the same yourself!
i didn't steal that fact though which is why i asked you to explain.
i wasn't sure if were trying to be smart and failing or if i just misunderstood - it was ofc the former.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants