Sell iPhone 5 to CEX

Found 23rd Feb 2017
Trying to sell an old iPhone 5. Had it on Facebook groups and am fed up of being mucked around and being offered stupid low price.

CEX are quoting £77 for it Grade B. In general will they pay what the website say? Also can I go in the shop and get the same price or does it always have to be sold online and sent off?

Thanks for your help. Have avoided putting full details as this is a question not a for sale post.
Community Updates
AskiPhone
16 Comments
Take it in store for same price.
Don't worry Im selling an iPhone 7 plus on Facebook and gumtree has offers of 50 pound from about 50 people then people telling me 500 pound is too much saying I'm ripping people off when music magpie offer me that much
Have some time to spare and somewhere to browse if doing it in store - they'll have to test.

Can't remember what the situation is with getting a voucher and selling the voucher (like here)
Just a few pointers:
A - Mint - Product in mint condition with original box and all original accessories.
B - Good - Product in good condition with all essential accessories. No box required.
C - Working - Product in poor condition with all essential accessories. No box required.
[Taken from: https://uk.webuy.com/grading/]
Sometimes they can be shady and very picky i.e. 'Oh there's a small mark here so it;'s now grade B not A' etc
That sounds good, as long as they give the same price as the web site I can cope with a short wait. I was only trying to sell it for £75 so if I can get £77 I will be happy. I want the cash not a voucher.

I'm expecting grade B although it does have the box and all accessories.
Edited by: "paul123edwards" 23rd Feb 2017
Music magpie sent mine back for discolouration! Well that was after they offered me 15% of the original offer price.
Edited by: "Wadda" 23rd Feb 2017
Wadda

Music magpie sent mine back for discolouration! Well that was after they … Music magpie sent mine back for discolouration! Well that was after they offered me 15% of the original offer price.

I have heard a lot of this, phones being sent in and then when they get them offering a ridiculous reduction because of an issue i.e. smashed screen/dead pixels which wasn't there when it was sent in.
paul123edwards

That sounds good, as long as they give the same price as the web site I … That sounds good, as long as they give the same price as the web site I can cope with a short wait. I was only trying to sell it for £75 so if I can get £77 I will be happy. I want the cash not a voucher.I'm expecting grade B although it does have the box and all accessories.

So long as its not badly scratched/scuffed you should be alright with a 'B' condition/grade
Best you can hope for is grade b even if you got the box. Grade A is for brand new items like a contract upgrade but you didn't want or like the received phone.
nathan3007

I have heard a lot of this, phones being sent in and then when they get … I have heard a lot of this, phones being sent in and then when they get them offering a ridiculous reduction because of an issue i.e. smashed screen/dead pixels which wasn't there when it was sent in.

Did it to me years ago when they didn't even send the item back you just had to accept the revised offer or we will recycle it for free was the stance they took. Now they do send it back if you disagree.
Have to say ours was a total opposite experience with our local CEX (Kings Lynn) my daughter had a PS Vita to sell, we checked the price online and were quite expecting B grade. We had the box, but no outer sleeve. There was a few marks on the back but not on the screen. Part of the wire wasn't original. Yet they gave us A grade price, which matched the online trade in price. Took them half an hour to test, so make sure you don't call in there last. Daughter was well impressed!
hellyl

Have to say ours was a total opposite experience with our local CEX … Have to say ours was a total opposite experience with our local CEX (Kings Lynn) my daughter had a PS Vita to sell, we checked the price online and were quite expecting B grade. We had the box, but no outer sleeve. There was a few marks on the back but not on the screen. Part of the wire wasn't original. Yet they gave us A grade price, which matched the online trade in price. Took them half an hour to test, so make sure you don't call in there last. Daughter was well impressed!

This must have been a while ago then as they are far more strict now - they had to revise all their grades on inventory a few months back due to a policy change: they now will only accept A grades if they are 100% mint (or if you happen to get a dozy tester).

I used to be able to get A grades for phones that had no box and often not even the original charger. The problem with being so generous to sellers though is that buyers inevitably end up getting shafted down the line when they order an A grade and end up with something like your daughter's PS Vita and have to get it exchanged.

I guess that's why they changed their policy.

They even used to buy CRACKED iPhones that weren't stipulated as cracked in the grading (that didn't last long though - can you imagine how peed off people who bought those online must have been!). The last thing I traded in was an Apple TV which was in great nick - fully boxed with all the accessories nicely wrapped and even the original plastic stickers. They wanted to mark it as a C grade because of scratches around the HDMI port - after a while I managed to haggle it up to a B grade but they are definitely a lot more strict now.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 24th Feb 2017
misterleoni

This must have been a while ago then as they are far more strict now - … This must have been a while ago then as they are far more strict now - they had to revise all their grades on inventory a few months back due to a policy change: they now will only accept A grades if they are 100% mint (or if you happen to get a dozy tester). I used to be able to get A grades for phones that had no box and often not even the original charger. The problem with being so generous to sellers though is that buyers inevitably end up getting shafted down the line when they order an A grade and end up with something like your daughter's PS Vita and have to get it exchanged. I guess that's why they changed their policy. They even used to buy CRACKED iPhones that weren't stipulated as cracked in the grading (that didn't last long though - can you imagine how peed off people who bought those online must have been!). The last thing I traded in was an Apple TV which was in great nick - fully boxed with all the accessories nicely wrapped and even the original plastic stickers. They wanted to mark it as a C grade because of scratches around the HDMI port - after a while I managed to haggle it up to a B grade but they are definitely a lot more strict now.

misterleoni

This must have been a while ago then as they are far more strict now - … This must have been a while ago then as they are far more strict now - they had to revise all their grades on inventory a few months back due to a policy change: they now will only accept A grades if they are 100% mint (or if you happen to get a dozy tester). I used to be able to get A grades for phones that had no box and often not even the original charger. The problem with being so generous to sellers though is that buyers inevitably end up getting shafted down the line when they order an A grade and end up with something like your daughter's PS Vita and have to get it exchanged. I guess that's why they changed their policy. They even used to buy CRACKED iPhones that weren't stipulated as cracked in the grading (that didn't last long though - can you imagine how peed off people who bought those online must have been!). The last thing I traded in was an Apple TV which was in great nick - fully boxed with all the accessories nicely wrapped and even the original plastic stickers. They wanted to mark it as a C grade because of scratches around the HDMI port - after a while I managed to haggle it up to a B grade but they are definitely a lot more strict now.

it was the beginning of February this year oO and we were quite expecting a lower grade than we got, so what you are saying we should have haggled them down a grade then? nah I think not, and no one in their right mind would do either. They had a win win anyways, she got voucher and bought an ipad from them, so we don't feel guilty

Edited by: "hellyl" 25th Feb 2017
I recently traded in a windows tablet which I still had the box for. Was expecting B grade as the tablet was clearly used but ended up with A grade trade in instead. When I traded in my Nexus 4 years ago I got B grade when I expected C grade as the charging port was scuffed badly due to my poor aim.
hellyl

it was the beginning of February this year oO and we were quite expecting … it was the beginning of February this year oO and we were quite expecting a lower grade than we got, so what you are saying we should have haggled them down a grade then? nah I think not, and no one in their right mind would do either. They had a win win anyways, she got voucher and bought an ipad from them, so we don't feel guilty

I think you're misunderstanding me - I was just saying that you probably got lucky and that this isn't typical practice nowadays.
emodan

I recently traded in a windows tablet which I still had the box for. Was … I recently traded in a windows tablet which I still had the box for. Was expecting B grade as the tablet was clearly used but ended up with A grade trade in instead. When I traded in my Nexus 4 years ago I got B grade when I expected C grade as the charging port was scuffed badly due to my poor aim.

Again, probably just got lucky. They've completely revised their policy on what an A grade and yours wouldn't fall within those guidelines - however there are always going to be apathetic staff in this sort of industry who don't do their job properly or don't do the checks they're supposed to. Certainly at my local no one would get that lucky!

Fair play for managing it though - all I was saying is that this is not typical and certainly doesn't fall within their official grading guidelines, so broadly speaking I wouldn't *expect* to get 'graded up' on a typical visit. It's great for you guys though, when this happens, and I've been in this boat myself.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 25th Feb 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants