seller asked for IMEI

Found 18th Aug 2017
Bought a new phone off eBay other day, and seller now messaging me asking for imei? Is this safe to send him/her? Or is it a well known scam?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

They can report the phone as lost / stolen / have it blocked with the imei number. Possibly sounds like they were too stupid to write it down before they sold it to you and are now hoping you will help them to register it as stolen so they can claim on their insurance/ get a new one. I might have a suspicious mind but I can't think of a legit reason they would want it.

Also imei can be cloned onto another phone...
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 18th Aug 2017

Simply ask them for what reason do they need the IMEI number of a phone that they no longer own, and see what they say.

Your phone...Your Imie number. It's a security feature - would you give the password out? Ask him why he wants the number. Then contact Ebay. If he's done it before they should (though probably won't) be interested.

Don't give it. Ask them for the honest reason

kashmemon11 m ago

Don't give it. Ask them for the honest reason

Why would a scammer be honest about their intentions?
Edited by: "RossD89" 18th Aug 2017

Not a chance I'd tell em!!!

Send to me and I will sort for You I've dealt with this stuff before.
Just so I know its You Please also send Your online banking details with Your username and passwords just a precaution You totally understand I'm sure.

WELL WOULD YOU?

As I'm sure You have realised its probably wise not to and of course keep a record of the whole transaction.
Edited by: "VCB-160" 18th Aug 2017

Original Poster

VCB-1609 h, 50 m ago

Send to me and I will sort for You I've dealt with this stuff before.Just …Send to me and I will sort for You I've dealt with this stuff before.Just so I know its You Please also send Your online banking details with Your username and passwords just a precaution You totally understand I'm sure.WELL WOULD YOU?As I'm sure You have realised its probably wise not to and of course keep a record of the whole transaction.

Thanks man! Since this the user has now been banned off eBay! Phone come today. Nexus 5 seems delightful. I didn't have time to msg him as he's since been banned. Thanks everyone for your input. If ever i sell on eBay isit a good idea I write down imei? For security reasons?

Original Poster

PTibbets3 m ago

Dont be surprised if your phone is block as stolen/defaulted within the …Dont be surprised if your phone is block as stolen/defaulted within the next couple of months

Haven't given the seller any info! Plus have up to six months to open a resolution case on paypal

machomansavage11 h, 10 m ago

Thanks man! Since this the user has now been banned off eBay! Phone come …Thanks man! Since this the user has now been banned off eBay! Phone come today. Nexus 5 seems delightful. I didn't have time to msg him as he's since been banned. Thanks everyone for your input. If ever i sell on eBay isit a good idea I write down imei? For security reasons?

It's a good idea to write it down just in case you ever lose it or it gets stolen etc..

However, the network will have a log of the imei number.

machomansavage11 h, 48 m ago

Thanks man! Since this the user has now been banned off eBay! Phone come …Thanks man! Since this the user has now been banned off eBay! Phone come today. Nexus 5 seems delightful. I didn't have time to msg him as he's since been banned. Thanks everyone for your input. If ever i sell on eBay isit a good idea I write down imei? For security reasons?

EBay was good back in the day but now its
I personally don't like it but I know others who think its the bees knees.
Keeping IMEI number I would.
Post a comment
@
    Text