Selling a broken phone on ebay

Posted 8th JanEdited by:"docefc"
Been a while since I sold something on ebay and it seems as if there's always a new scam that I'm unaware of so just looking for some advice.

I got a Huawei Mate 20 Pro on an 02 Refresh deal posted here, picked it up for £155 and succeeding in smashing the screen (despite having an official case on but it was my own fault for being clumsy), screen replacement anywhere seems to come out at £270 minimum, and DIY solutions are a minimum of £130. Doesn't seem worth it so I decided to chuck it on ebay with no reserve as for spare/repair, posted lots of photos of the condition. There are two days to go and it's already up to £130, and when something feels too good to be true my scam senses turn on. Now, others have sold for anywhere between £80 - £150 so it's not out of the ordinary but does seem odd.

The current highest bidder has 0 feedback, what's going on here? How should I combat any potential scam? Phone works, planning on recording the bbc website being scrolled through (prove date), screengrab the IMIE, and send recorded delivery. Any more advice?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
dont think feedback counts for much these days as Scammers are buying hacked accounts with decent feedback. I had one a few months back and as soon as they won it was can you send it to my uncle the usual scam stuff. Just make sure its all paid via PayPal your listing matches exactly what your selling take pictures and videos of the phone working and any serial numbers send the goods tracked. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
I sold pretty expensive items to 0 feedback.
I had people with over 100 feedback try to scam me.

As long you list items accurately, photos, post signed for and insured, not much else you can do.

As for price, it only takes 2 bidders to get carried away.
toddyj998708/01/2020 11:16

dont think feedback counts for much these days as Scammers are buying …dont think feedback counts for much these days as Scammers are buying hacked accounts with decent feedback. I had one a few months back and as soon as they won it was can you send it to my uncle the usual scam stuff. Just make sure its all paid via PayPal your listing matches exactly what your selling take pictures and videos of the phone working and any serial numbers send the goods tracked. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Place your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye
The fact that someone has bid doesn't mean they will follow through with the purchase. With zero feedback they have nothing to lose. Everyone starts somewhere, when I started I bought loads of cheap Chinese tat for pennies. Pretty soon had good looking feedback. Feedback means nothing.
I agree with what others have said. You could have a great transaction from someone with no feedback and then someone else who has hundreds might be the one to try and say it hasn't arrived. Always send higher items special delivery that way your covered for a loss..
I changed my settings so people with no feedback can’t bid .. I don’t trust them either.
Most people that buy things like this on eBay are small time sellers, it might cost you £130 to do it diy but they will likely source parts cheaper and have a lot of tools already so probably fix it for £70 so £200 in total for a brand new looking 2 month old still in warranty 20 pro is excellent price.
All total luck on Ebay now.

Had people with 0 feedback buy expensive items from me with no issues ever.

Had people with 500 + buy things from me and then either at the 29/30 day mark say it was broken and wanted to return it, or even worse after the 90 day mark, opening a case on Paypal to say they never received the item when they did.

Weirdest one I ever had, some guy bought a console from me, kept it for 29 days then opened a case for a refund and put in his notes that the console did not work and he wanted a refund, it was in full working order when I sent it. I had no choice but to accept the refund (it was only 25 quid), he returned the console and controller etc, and it was exactly as I sent it, full working order and just fine, So its like he just wanted a console for free for 30 days. I ended up selling it again for more.
claire751908/01/2020 13:17

I changed my settings so people with no feedback can’t bid .. I don’t tru …I changed my settings so people with no feedback can’t bid .. I don’t trust them either.

You can't block bidders with zero feedback, can you? Or do you mean if a zero feedback bidder bids on your item, you cancel their bid and add them to your blocked bidders list?
Thanks all, seems like it'll be pot luck. Just going to document everything as best I can.

The last time I sold a phone on ebay was about five years ago this was also a funny ebay story: it was a cheap motorola smartphone, it packed up within about a week, I was sent a new one and not asked for the old one back so a year later put both on ebay, with accurate descriptions of both. Different accounts won the items and only when I was writing the postcodes on the envelopes did I realise they were going to the same PO BOX. I realised the scam was going to be that they'd return the broken one as the working one and so I did the most in-depth detailing video of the packing and sending and uploaded to an unlisted YouTube link, which I sent to them. This was after talking it through with eBay, who agreed that it was clearly going to be a scam but couldn't do anything about it. In the end they bit the bullet and didn't try to send back.
deeky08/01/2020 16:57

You can't block bidders with zero feedback, can you? Or do you mean if a …You can't block bidders with zero feedback, can you? Or do you mean if a zero feedback bidder bids on your item, you cancel their bid and add them to your blocked bidders list?

I haven't seen the option recently, but, you used to be able to block bidders - with zero feedback, who had bought a certain number of items from you, from countries that you don't sell to. That sort of thing.

OP, it is possible that it is money laundering. Like when you sell a £50 gift card and someone pays £60 for it (It has happened!)
Edited by: "toomanychoices" 8th Jan
Hit and miss tbh it’s always a risk. Also some people just buy broken phones to make insurance claims on, they’ll get retail value of a replacement (if available) or the nearest equivalent which maybe a newer model. So if they can get it cheaper then why not.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions