Found 20th Dec 2014
Right so i'm selling my car and to be honest i have no idea how private sales usually go down.

Now my car is currently insured and taxed.... however come Monday it will not be insured any more (it is on temporary insurance on my policy)... Now i know that it can no longer be kept on the road (as it currently is) with no insurance so will be going to my parents (private driveway)..

Question 1:
Does it need to be declared SORN? (tax is valid till March).

Question 2:
If it doesn't does that mean that anyone apart from me (as i am no longer insured on it and the owner of the vehicle) can take it for a drive (as it has tax) if they have insurance that covers to drive someone else's vehicle?

Question 3:
How exactly does the new state of car tax come into play.... the tax no longer goes with the car, but new tax is needed on change of ownership, is that right?.. and how does this actually work when selling a car?

Many thanks folks

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
17 Comments

You have to get a refund on remaining tax as can no longer pass on. All automated.

Jetpac

Right so i'm selling my car and to be honest...

First mistake.

What's the car you selling? I'm looking to buy one

If I were you I would get another temporary insurance policy...

As the policy has expired not only can you not drive it on the road, if it were stolen you would be out of pocket.

Some insurance policies allow people to drive someone else's car with third party cover on their own policy BUT your car still needs your insurance to be legal. (this is an important factor to take into account for when folk want to test drive).

starf

What's the car you selling? I'm looking to buy one

It's a Delorean.
Edited by: "spaceinvader" 20th Dec 2014

Most insurances only cover a single vehicle these days and as far as Im aware the new owner will need to purchase tax online before driving off.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 20th Dec 2014

i think the tax can go with the car unless it was a 6 months bought after october... its only new tax that will be with the person if you have an actual disc it should be go with car..

There's some handy info here... theaa.com/mot…tml

Also from the AA...

No more paper tax discs
From 1 October 2014 DVLA will stop issuing paper tax discs and you will no longer have to display one, even if you have remaining months left on the current one.

Buying or selling a vehicle

Vehicle tax will no longer be transferable after 1 October 2014 either.

The new keeper will have to get the car taxed or declare a SORN immediately and the previous keeper will get a refund for any full calendar months left on the tax period when DVLA is told of the sale of the car.
Edited by: "LizziBear" 20th Dec 2014

Original Poster

LizziBear

There's some handy info here... … There's some handy info here... http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_sellingbeprepared.htmlAlso from the AA...No more paper tax discsFrom 1 October 2014 DVLA will stop issuing paper tax discs and you will no longer have to display one, even if you have remaining months left on the current one.Buying or selling a vehicleVehicle tax will no longer be transferable after 1 October 2014 either.The new keeper will have to get the car taxed or declare a SORN immediately and the previous keeper will get a refund for any full calendar months left on the tax period when DVLA is told of the sale of the car.

So as soon as I sell the car the new owner will have to tax it again. and when the DVLA gets the VC5 they refund the outstanding tax back to me?

Since it isn't going to be insured, is it worth just declaring it sorn now then before the end of the month so i get the full 3/4 months tax back?... im assuming if i go a day into January i will be paying the whole month....

Just had a look at temp insurance and it is several hundred for a month!
Edited by: "Jetpac" 20th Dec 2014

Jetpac

So as soon as I sell the car the new owner will have to tax it again. and … So as soon as I sell the car the new owner will have to tax it again. and when the DVLA gets the VC5 they refund the outstanding tax back to me? Since it isn't going to be insured, is it worth just declaring it sorn now then before the end of the month so i get full months tax back?

SORN is only concerned with tax. If you are concerned about getting the maximum tax refund, yes SORN the car... BUT most purchasers will want to test drive the car before buying it, so unless the drive where it is parked is rather long you may struggle to allow a legal test drive.

the new continuous insurance regs mean that you need to either insure it or sorn it.

If sorned then no driving - dont expect to sell it.

Original Poster

mas99

the new continuous insurance regs mean that you need to either insure it … the new continuous insurance regs mean that you need to either insure it or sorn it.If sorned then no driving - dont expect to sell it.

With all the above being true... then surely most private second hand cars (or an increasing majority will be SORN?

If you are just swapping your insurance over to your new car it might be worth phoning your insurance company up, i had the same problem i phoned my insurance and explained to them they said my old car would still be covered for two weeks.
as others have stated Tax is none transferable, if not insured it has to be sorn, car has to be insured for someone to test drive even if there policy say's they can drive someones car because they are then insured third party piggy backing off your insurance

Original Poster

OnlyMee

If you are just swapping your insurance over to your new car it might be … If you are just swapping your insurance over to your new car it might be worth phoning your insurance company up, i had the same problem i phoned my insurance and explained to them they said my old car would still be covered for two weeks.as others have stated Tax is none transferable, if not insured it has to be sorn, car has to be insured for someone to test drive even if there policy say's they can drive someones car because they are then insured third party piggy backing off your insurance

Used my temporary insurance up! so can't get any more from my insurer (as you have said the whole newcar/oldcar issue)
seems like a real mess all this legislation is leaving things in for the layman since:

I cant leave it on the road as it is not insured
as it is not insured (under continuous insurance) i must SORN it.
If i SORN it, the car will have no Tax.
No tax means even with one day cover it still cannot be driven.

The only option would be to reinsure it costing hundred of pounds... this **** country.. i swear.
Edited by: "Jetpac" 20th Dec 2014

[/quote]

Used my temporary insurance up! so can't get any more from my insurer (as you have said the whole newcar/oldcar issue)
seems like a real mess all this legislation is leaving things in for the layman since:

I cant leave it on the road as it is not insured
as it is not insured (under continuous insurance) i must SORN it.
If i SORN it, the car will have no Tax.
No tax means even with one day cover it still cannot be driven.

The only option would be to reinsure it costing hundred of pounds... this **** country.. i swear.
[/quote]

Totally agree gone are the days you used to just stick TAX IN THE POST in the window

You could seek multicar insurance and then remove the car from the policy once sold as to the changes it is directly because of vehicles being on the road with no insurance or road tax that it was implemented.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Foo fighters presale code.98
    2. Is there an official Disability ID card ?1531
    3. Why was the deal I just posted removed?56
    4. Whey protien34

See more discussions