Selling a code on eBay

Posted 3rd May
I've a code for a game to shift with eBay being a quid at the moment thought it would be a good time to shift it. Anyone offer any advice on best practice, as I'm guessing it's pretty easy to be scammed on a code.

TIA

Paddy
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
From reading posts on here it would seem the best advice is don't! However, if you do sell it follow it up immediately by posting recorded delivery/signed for. If seller claims never received etc at least you can prove you have posted it and uploaded the signed for info.
10 Comments
From reading posts on here it would seem the best advice is don't! However, if you do sell it follow it up immediately by posting recorded delivery/signed for. If seller claims never received etc at least you can prove you have posted it and uploaded the signed for info.
Sell it but post it to the buyer but even then they could say it doesn't work after using it
Cheers for the replies. Any suggestions on where to sell it?
How much is code worth? I would recommend against selling code higher value than £20. If it is a popular game try AVForums perhaps?

If it is a more niche game then maybe eBay is only option. If so, try to send to the buyer's PayPal email instead of via eBay message. This way if someone cracked eBay account with linked PayPal but email password is different, they won't have access to code. Of course, if buyer is pretending to be hacked to get money back you have no choice but to refund, but sending to the PayPal email mitigates a small amount of the large risk.

I sell codes on eBay a lot, the amount of scams are alarming. Higher value = higher risk. Chargeback rates drop for me as the value of items drop. Also noticed that console game codes have higher chargeback rates than PC for me.
Edited by: "jamie15" 3rd May
It's worth about £25 looking at previous sales of the game. Would it be worth asking them for their gamer tag and sending it that way?
I got scammed on a code so I sent it signed for and eBay sided with me.
You are likely to find out you have been scammed via a so called hacked eBay account and all your messages will go away from inbox.
Post the code signed for, maybe charge 1pm next day delivery?
Misslovely03/05/2020 19:14

I got scammed on a code so I sent it signed for and eBay sided with me. …I got scammed on a code so I sent it signed for and eBay sided with me. You are likely to find out you have been scammed via a so called hacked eBay account and all your messages will go away from inbox. Post the code signed for, maybe charge 1pm next day delivery?

That'll probably price me out with the postage. Think I'll just sell it on Facebook or gumtree.
Thanks for all the help.
Paddy_o_furniture03/05/2020 18:42

It's worth about £25 looking at previous sales of the game. Would it be …It's worth about £25 looking at previous sales of the game. Would it be worth asking them for their gamer tag and sending it that way?

Not really, might as well use eBay message. For £25 it's unlikely to be worth it.
Paddy_o_furniture03/05/2020 19:27

That'll probably price me out with the postage. Think I'll just sell it on …That'll probably price me out with the postage. Think I'll just sell it on Facebook or gumtree. Thanks for all the help.

I would rather sell for £15 cash there than £25 on eBay.
Don’t I sold my animal crossing code and ended up spending 4 hours altogether on the phone to eBay and PayPal proving I sent it. not worth the hassle at all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions