Selling a house! Please help

Posted 17th Oct
Can anyone provide some advice for a home owner trying to move house!

I have lived in my house for 15yrs. You will need to take my word for it but it is finished to a very high standard and has been extended. It has been on sale since June 2019 and for the first three months we only had 2 viewings and a naff estate agent.

We sacked them off, dropped the price as advised by the new agent and they have been working much harder. They have got use viewings but no offers. We have dropped the price again, twice since then. Still not one offer in 4.5 months! Is this unusual for a 3 bed semi in the midlands?

Hope you can advise!

Sorry but not Sharing my listing etc in here. Hope you understand!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You will only get offers if the price is right for the buyer not the seller.
No offers = wrong price generally.
My dad once said something real value is only what someone else is willing to purchase it for.
Simple if you put it had quarter of the asking price it would sell in a day.
Now isn't a good time of year for selling houses and also people are unsure what with the b word happening. If you're having trouble getting people through the doors in the first place something isn't quite right. I'm sure it is finished to a high standard but that might not not mean it is to everyone's taste. I'd have a look at what has sold in your area and for how much and pitch yours accordingly
34 Comments
Your estage agent will be able to answer this as they should be selling homes in your area dude!

ask them.

you looked at similar houses in the area I assume?
You will only get offers if the price is right for the buyer not the seller.
No offers = wrong price generally.
It’s priced wrong sadly. Beware of agents over pricing and promising the world in order to win the instruction.
Sorry but not Sharing my listing etc in here. Hope you understand!

Would have thought any type of advertising is good ? Still I get this place is full of shall we say odd people, but you really should at least be open to a pm. Posting a pic and the price and area is giving away less info than your estate agent does daily? Outside of that the only response you will get is based on naff estate agent and no offers. Seriously a 3 bed in the midlands could be a war zone or the most upmarket place in whatever town it is, the midlands covers a very big area ie the middle. I am not being flippant but you could not possibly expect any kind of answer with so little info given. Close to good schools?, problems with crime? murder rate? insurance rates ?transport connections? amenities?shopping? you see where this is going? How much is the house next door valued at
Edited by: "thomasleep" 17th Oct
My dad once said something real value is only what someone else is willing to purchase it for.
Simple if you put it had quarter of the asking price it would sell in a day.
If you're having the same issues with multiple agents the issue is the house\price.

Ask the agent for some honest feedback, no holds barred and also look at other properties in the price band and see how yours compares.
Now isn't a good time of year for selling houses and also people are unsure what with the b word happening. If you're having trouble getting people through the doors in the first place something isn't quite right. I'm sure it is finished to a high standard but that might not not mean it is to everyone's taste. I'd have a look at what has sold in your area and for how much and pitch yours accordingly
Two prooerties exactly the same spec and finish could have massively varying prices though be only round the corner from each other. Things buyers look for that are often overlooked by sellers are school catchment, crime statistics, footfall outside the property (people going home from the pub etc) even location to pub and local business.

Historic reputation also plays a big part in the perception of a 'good area'. There is an area near to where I live that had been known for its 'council estate' crimes - drugs, violence, prostitution and vandalism. The council spent a fortune closing off rat runs and developing the area. It now has great facilities and outlook, and lovely big houses with good size gardens. Great transport links. Cringe is almost non existent there yet Houses are 20% cheaper there than comparable places half a mile away because people have long memories.
I don't know the history of the area you live in - but could any of these be a contributing factor?
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 17th Oct
Is there a flooding problem, check your charges on the house title to check for chancel repair liability.
Thanks for all the replies. The area is nice, cul-de-sac good catchment etc. Price has been slashed to that of houses of lower standard / location etc.
Estate agent says we have done everything they have asked of us which is true. My only doubt is is this some sort of estate agent smoke and mirrors or as I suspect just slow market at this time of year?
Unfortunately when there are scare stories bandied about house prices crashes in the event of a no deal scenario, you can understand the reluctance to shell out large sums of money until after October 31st. Definitely noticed a lack of decent properties coming on the market in our area. People are sitting tight. That and the time of year means it's a fairly stagnant market atm. If you aren't in a hurry to sell, I'd take it off the market until early Spring, reassess the pricing and your estate agent, and then relist as a 'new' seller (properties lose their lustre if they stay on Rightmove/Zoopla for many months)
Unfortunately, sometimes it just takes time. Our property was listed for just over 12 months. In that time we only had 3 viewings, but third time was a charm for us and it sold at just under the asking price. Hope you get q nibble soon!
I sold my house 2 bed end terrace last month , sold it within one hour of being in the market and I even went against the agents advice and put it on 5 k more than I even wanted .was one of the highest price house sold around my area so wasn’t under price ,near Manchester airport so it’s booming at present as there a billion £ investment at the airport !

Couldn’t believe it

Things I did which are a must and don’t cost a lot

Kerb appeal is massive, before went in the market I cleaned all fascia and gutters “white pvc” jets washed the front drive so it looked clean and tidy .

If your pics of the house looked clutter if dull have them redone , if you can’t get people to click your ad you won’t get them through the door you won’t get a sale

If have pics make sure there not loads of family’s pics and clutter people don’t like it .

If you have a dog make sure it’s not there or any pet even remove there bowls and beds

Don’t let the estate agent show them around,you do it you know the house more than a random guy . I did this and give them loads of info and answered questions the agent could not

Good luck and don’t worry the market should pick up a little after brexit but your best chance off sale maybe Spring now .
Edited by: "ashmac" 17th Oct
backyard17/10/2019 23:06

Is there a flooding problem, check your charges on the house title to …Is there a flooding problem, check your charges on the house title to check for chancel repair liability.

Nothing like that but thank you.
There is a house we want to buy so would like to shift it but it’s just not happening;( .
Has anyone used a we buy any house type service?
JoseChupachup17/10/2019 23:58

There is a house we want to buy so would like to shift it but it’s just n …There is a house we want to buy so would like to shift it but it’s just not happening;( . Has anyone used a we buy any house type service?

There’s nothing stopping you putting in an offer as long as you have mortgage in principle
Check the sold prices and lost prices of properties nearby.
If your not within a reasonable amount people arent even going to read the listing.

The market is slow in general with Brexit. Its a massive amount of uncertainty when buying something as expensive as a house.

If it's on for a reasonable amount, the photos are good and it's a popular estate agent for the area you can't really do much more.
The trouble is by pointing it on high and repeatedly lowering the price it put two red flags against it. A it's been on for a while and B there is a reason for the price reduction which is likely a problem with the property.
Look at where your house falls into stamp duty brackets. If it’s just over one, it could put people off.
You say it’s extended. Is the council tax bracket current or will it potentially change when it gets a new owner?
Does your home report have any recommendations for the energy performance? Are any cheap enough to implement now? Led lights, loft insulation, etc.
Any evidence of smoking, pets or clutter is a big turn off.
Is your street well maintained, close to any hinderance, on a busy route, etc?

At the end of the day, someone will buy it. What makes that happen is down to how it’s presented, priced and attainable.

There is a house we want to buy so would like to shift it but it’s just n …There is a house we want to buy so would like to shift it but it’s just not happening;( . Has anyone used a we buy any house type service?

I haven't used anything like these but they do pay under market value as a rule. i've also heard that they reduce the offer at the last minute when you've pretty much burned your boats and have no option but to accept their price
Have a look on zoopla and see how much they estimate your property to be worth. Look on rightmove and see how much other properties are currently being sold at/for.
Have you not noticed the market isn't that great anywhere?

People are worried about what will happen after Brexit so aren't too keen and making big money decisions, although you don't seem to be worried...

We sold this time last year. 3 bed semi in the “midlands”.

Like yours (by the sounds) everything had been upgraded/modernised, literally everything. We spent 50k during ownership.

Valued at 165, we put it on at 170-180. Sold in 2 days for 170.

We were willing to accept 160+ as that allowed our next move, but £170 ensured we recouped every penny spent in there during our ownership.

Since buying/selling, I’ve become a Rightmove addict. I’ve noticed that the market is dead compared to last year and more so the year before. I’ve also noticed that prices have dropped £10-15k over when we sold ours.

As above, pictures help, but are never perfect. Also, when viewing on rightmove etc, I discounted any house without a floor plan. Lazy agents and me not being able to see what I’m working with just put me off.

Regarding webuyanyhouse, we investigated, as we ended up in a chain that was about to collapse. They said they’d get us market value minus a fee of around £10k. In reality this was more like us selling for £30-40k less.

The two biggest issues I foresee;

- priced badly
- dead market

If someone’s wants it, they will see it.
Sorry but not Sharing my listing

So you like paying commission. Can you not use more than one estate agent. List on other websites. Our neighbors dropped there's 50k had we known we would have bought it, we didn't even ask because 50k drop is unheard of on our street, mortgage wouldn't cover fully and we already asked family and was shy of 50k. The exact amount we needed it to come down lol we found out after it had been sold.
Edited by: "MR1123" 18th Oct
MR112318/10/2019 07:59

Sorry but not Sharing my listingSo you like paying commission. Can you not …Sorry but not Sharing my listingSo you like paying commission. Can you not use more than one estate agent. List on other websites.

Using more than one estate agent involves paying more commission as they do a split %. Plus if you proceed with a sale where the buyer has already been in touch with the estate agent you are still liable for commision.

They all use Rightmove, Zoopla, Prime Location etc sites.
JimboParrot18/10/2019 08:05

They all use Rightmove, Zoopla, Prime Location etc sites.

This is the key point.

Fully believing that "visibility" is key, and that noone really uses anything but RightMove and to some extent Zoopla, we sold with Purple Bricks. £800 - done.

I knew, on the back of everything being modernised & work done, that it would fly off the shelves, so it was the case of paying the least to the estate agents as possible. I was simply looking for someone to get my listing on RightMove and I did consider Doorsteps (£99) but with it being my first sale, I didn't risk it.
Edited by: "Vini" 18th Oct
The main problem at the minute is that things are moving dfferently in all areas of the country, some much much slower than others. The reason for this is the usual economy or the new builds which are offering some excellent incentives which is making people move towards the new builds as the mortgages are cheaper. Had friends in a similar position to you, they ended up reducing the price and got what the price they wanted in the end but it took a long time.
Just put of interest, which part of the midlands are you in? know need to be to specific as a fellow midlander, I'm just wondering as perception of area, has a lot to do with things as someone else has commented
Thanks for all of your advice on here. Too many to reply to. I think as many have said that we missed our opportunity in the summer with the sh*t estate agent and the high price. Price is right now (but not a first time buyers house) but the market just isn’t there. Think will pull it at end of the month and relaunch in the new year.
eslick18/10/2019 09:52

The main problem at the minute is that things are moving dfferently in all …The main problem at the minute is that things are moving dfferently in all areas of the country, some much much slower than others. The reason for this is the usual economy or the new builds which are offering some excellent incentives which is making people move towards the new builds as the mortgages are cheaper. Had friends in a similar position to you, they ended up reducing the price and got what the price they wanted in the end but it took a long time.

Agree with this, we are in Manchester and it’s not really slowing like down south there’s still a steady increase

I’ve just bought a house in chealde hulme”Stockport”and was a fight to get it and it needs renovation

There was 8 people alone in the first day of viewings

On other houses o went to view and bid I was putting in offers 5k over what asking price was and still losing out

So there’s no signs of no sales where I’m looking it’s totally the opposite
Edited by: "ashmac" 18th Oct
Open days for houses down here in the south east are still attracting up to 20 people with asking prices of £750,000+ and viewings when there aren't open days or people can't attend. Flats/Houses are still selling at all prices including over the two million. It really is such a variable, and now as Christmas approaches it will all go quiet, so as you say possibly a good idea to wait now until the spring,
When we were selling our 3 bed in west midlands in was around time of elections etc so market went quiet, straight after we had lots of viewings and house sold in 2 weeks.

I think you could be affected by brexit atm.
however, other factors such as location, price, junk free house are also important
Prices are tumbling at the moment which means people are not being as quick to offer. Banks are also often challenging the amount offered for some houses where there isn’t enough equity.

Try and tidy up the house as much as you can and ensure the photos are good. Many people discount houses from their selection based on photos they have seen online.

Does your house have a garage? Driveway or designated spaces?

If not this will put off a lot of people in a buyers market.

Check the price on zoopla house prices for your street and see what it says. If your sale price is above this range then it’s unlikely to sell as buyers check this as a guide. This time of year is typically a bad one to sell as most people don’t want to move around Christmas, late jan early feb is usually a good time to get it on the market.

Good luck
Such a frustrating time. Thanks for the advice!
thomasleep17/10/2019 22:27

Sorry but not Sharing my listing etc in here. Hope you understand!Would …Sorry but not Sharing my listing etc in here. Hope you understand!Would have thought any type of advertising is good ? Still I get this place is full of shall we say odd people, but you really should at least be open to a pm. Posting a pic and the price and area is giving away less info than your estate agent does daily? Outside of that the only response you will get is based on naff estate agent and no offers. Seriously a 3 bed in the midlands could be a war zone or the most upmarket place in whatever town it is, the midlands covers a very big area ie the middle. I am not being flippant but you could not possibly expect any kind of answer with so little info given. Close to good schools?, problems with crime? murder rate? insurance rates ?transport connections? amenities?shopping? you see where this is going? How much is the house next door valued at

I don't understand why you are hesitant on listing a link here as it will be on Rightmove for the whole country to see anyhow. I can only think that there is something wrong such as a hideous decor that you think is nice but others in general do not like therefore putting them off with the price you are asking.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants