Selling a phone to CEX

Posted 2nd May
I have a phone which I'd like to sell on CEX. Does anybody know what the procedure is? Has anybody had any experience with them? How do they grade the phone etc etc

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Usually if its boxed and in mint condition with all accessories its Grade A but if the box is missing then even if the phone is mint, they will downgrade to a grade B.
I had a iphone in mint condition, boxed etc but no headphones as I had used them so they graded it as Grade B.

For example:
Grade A £200
Grade B £160

So I bought some headphones from CEX £10 and sold it as grade A.

Worth checking what they say is wrong with it.
Edited by: "lewisowls" 2nd May
Griffinpark198202/05/2020 16:48

Usually if its boxed and in mint condition with all accessories its Grade …Usually if its boxed and in mint condition with all accessories its Grade A but if the box is missing then even if the phone is mint, they will downgrade to a grade B.

Thank you for your input. Also how does the process work online? Must you post the phone to them? Or is it only possible to do instore?

Thank you again.
lewisowls02/05/2020 17:00

I had a iphone in mint condition, boxed etc but no headphones as I had …I had a iphone in mint condition, boxed etc but no headphones as I had used them so they graded it as Grade A.For example:Grade A £200Grade B £160So I bought some headphones from CEX £10 and sold it as grade A. Worth checking what they say is wrong with it.

Speaking of headphones... I sold them some headphones that were new and not used but weren’t sealed. They said it was grade b. I put up a fight but gave up since it wasn’t worth being a troublemaker in a store I go to daily.

They sold it as grade A. I lost over a hundred pennies that day.
Edited by: "DragonX" 2nd May
Terminator47102/05/2020 17:03

Thank you for your input. Also how does the process work online? Must you …Thank you for your input. Also how does the process work online? Must you post the phone to them? Or is it only possible to do instore?Thank you again.

At present cos of the situation, their stores are closed. Just take your parcel with the prepaid label to the post office and once they receive it you should get paid! I did this recently with my Nintendo Wii and just received payment yesterday through PayPal!
Griffinpark198202/05/2020 17:21

At present cos of the situation, their stores are closed. Just take your …At present cos of the situation, their stores are closed. Just take your parcel with the prepaid label to the post office and once they receive it you should get paid! I did this recently with my Nintendo Wii and just received payment yesterday through PayPal!

That's great, thank you everyone for your help
Music Magpie have better prices than CEX and normally dont ask for box or accessories.
I tired to sell a new phone to them, made some excsue that it doesn't charge ... When it did....

Plus they kept the phone for 1hr, returned it with fingers prints all over it....
What if I sell a phone to them with an unoriginal charging cable? What would happen?
Terminator47102/05/2020 18:46

What if I sell a phone to them with an unoriginal charging cable? What …What if I sell a phone to them with an unoriginal charging cable? What would happen?

i recently sold my Samsung S8+ to them, they wanted a charger to go with it and they actually recommended me to go to the local Poundland to get one
bobdylan02/05/2020 19:47

i recently sold my Samsung S8+ to them, they wanted a charger to go with …i recently sold my Samsung S8+ to them, they wanted a charger to go with it and they actually recommended me to go to the local Poundland to get one

Any charger will do, same with usb

Grade A is a strict grade for them, if ear phones come with them they will need it but plenty of copies available all over eBay
What phone are you looking to sell?
Essential ph-1
Music magpie best price
Terminator47102/05/2020 18:46

What if I sell a phone to them with an unoriginal charging cable? What …What if I sell a phone to them with an unoriginal charging cable? What would happen?

You will get downgraded.

A- mint with everything
B- Not mint with everything
B- Mint with unofficial accessories
C- Not mint unofficial accessories
Not working- cracked/ water tripped/ some damage in another way shape or form.

Having worked in them for years across multiple stores in England and Wales I would assume you would get a grade B/C.

Thats basically it to be honest.

If posting make sure you take good photographs and proof its working/ what you send.

If going to store have it turned on and fully charged, the tester will thankyou. Uncharged batteries on consoles/ phones are a real nuisance and can extend your waiting time and the staff can do nothing about it.

The company itself changed alot after the previous owner passed away (lovely guy to, met him at CEXfest a couple of years on the trot, really new how to party).

This is all guidance based of my experience.
Have sold one, it was straight forward, price quoted on line was honoured in store. Price for phone was reasonable, they gave me virtually nothing for accessories eg car dock and charger.
Reading OP description in my head with an Austrian accent made the whole process entirely more enjoyable
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions